Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home made tumbler

home made tumbler

right guys can i ask whats the best media for a tumbler as i have an idea for a tumbler and want to try it out before i post pictures of my method thanks,wayne.

Don't you think your wife will be pissed off next time she opens the tumble dryer!

thanks guys ,i used three rolls of gaffa tape to cover the holes in the drum. just one more question how quick does a tumbler spin are they quite slow,atb wayne

they need to be slow enough so the brass falls down when they reach the top as the drum turns. If it's too fast they'll stick to the outside due to the centrifugal effect. So that's real slow for a washing machine, but a tumble drier might be ok.

Have you considered making one? They're basic...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

hi harry i am into photography and developing and it dawned on me that i use a rotary roller which rolles my film in a chemical to develope i also use a plastic drum for paper and it would probably fit at least 50 -100 cases instead of buying one was going to try that . if it works and i cant see why not these drums are pence on fleabay as are the unirollers for anybody else that doesnt want to spend a fortune ,atb wayne

Wayne, can't seem to find these on junkBay, any links you could kindly offer

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    hi harry i am into photography and developing and it dawned on me that i use a rotary roller which rolles my film in a chemical to develope i also use a plastic drum for paper and it would probably fit at least 50 -100 cases instead of buying one was going to try that . if it works and i cant see why not these drums are pence on fleabay as are the unirollers for anybody else that doesnt want to spend a fortune ,atb wayne
    Hi Wayne. Good move - sounds like it'd work well. Sonds like it'd work perfectly. I went even more low tech and cut a gas bottle down and mounted it to a motor. It took a lot of gearing down:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000736.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	4565

By the way - I too am into photography. However, I use manual (paterson) tanks - I'd love a drum style developeing tank because agitating for over 10 minutes at a time is a pain! You must shoot a lot of film though... I guess I wouldn't shoot more than about 30 a year so couldn't justify the expense and space of a big system
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    Hi Wayne. Good move - sounds like it'd work well. Sonds like it'd work perfectly. I went even more low tech and cut a gas bottle down and mounted it to a motor. It took a lot of gearing down:

Name:	P1000736.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	4565

By the way - I too am into photography. However, I use manual (paterson) tanks - I'd love a drum style developeing tank because agitating for over 10 minutes at a time is a pain! You must shoot a lot of film though... I guess I wouldn't shoot more than about 30 a year so couldn't justify the expense and space of a big system
    THAT's AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    THAT's AWESOME!
    lol, thanks a lot. Here are a few more. It made me think - if you have a lot of brass to clean, try a cement mixer!

Name:	P1000735.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	4568

Name:	P1000737.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	4569