Hodgdon H322

Double0gorgeous

Hi Folks

Thinking of using H322 for my 223 with bullet weights between 40gr and 60gr, the load data seems favourable plus my local RFD has it in stock usually.

Anyone got any experience with it or load data?

Thanks

Jonny

For 40 and 60 grain bullets the entire charge weight spread between minimum and maximum is 2.0 grains, at best. (40 grain bullet) and 1.5 grains at least for the 60 grain bullet. What kind of load info would you like to be supplied with given those tight parameters?? Try Hodgdon.com if you don't have any data. Otherwise you're going to need to see what works best for your rifle, starting 5% under minimum and working up. I have used this powder in my .223 SAKO single shot heavy barrel. A 50 grn match bullet at min charge shot bug-hole groups but this was the nature of this particular rifle....~Muir

Thanks Muir

It more to see if people are using it/like it or have a better suggestion. I've never had a 223 but have done load development for a 30-06 so have a good idea of what i should be doing.

The rifle is a Sako 85 with varmit barrel 1/12 twist, i'll mostly be shooting 40gr heads but don't want to rule out the odd trip to scotland for Roe hence 50gr+. I think the twist rate will limit me to 60gr heads.

I've got one person telling me to use reload 7 or vit 133 and another saying H4895 as it works in his tikka. Having done a bit of homework the H4895 seem to be more suited to larger calibers and heavier bullets. The RFD is suggesting H322, is that because its in stock or acutally a good choice, i don't know.

Maybe a better question is, does the type of powder used make that much of a difference? Assuming similar burn rates.

Of all of the above, I like 4895 the best. My SAKO BR rifle shot it's smallest group with this versatile powder. RL-7 is another good one. Currently, I'm using IMR 3031 with great results in my .223 and .222 Remngton. If you guy has a lot of it and can give you a good deal on it, go with the H322. It's a good powder, just not too versatile. (4895 is good in a 30-06, don't you know??;))~Muir

Not my load, but info that I trust:

Sierra's Accuracy Load for AR15s
Powder H322
Grains 25.3
Primer Rem 7.5
Bullet 40 Sierra BlitzK
Velocity 3200 fps

Usual caveats apply :-|

And a very good load that I have tried:
Powder H4895
Grains 26.5
Primer WSR
Bullet 50 V-Max (also works with Nosler BT)
Velocity 3341 fps
Usual caveats :-|

Last edited:
Not my load, but info that I trust:

Sierra's Accuracy Load for AR15s
Powder H322
Grains 25.3
Primer Rem 7.5
Bullet 40 Sierra BlitzK
Velocity 3200 fps

Usual caveats apply :-|

That is a very weak load for a 223. Seem to remember using 24gr's in my 222 with a 50gr V Max.

First trip out with the new set up had its positives and negatives. I'm using match grade lapua brass remy primers, so started loading fairly low and worked up in .2gr from 23-24 grains. All loads grouped fairly well with 23.4 giving me the best group but at 2800f/s its a lot lower than i was looking for, wanting 3200 fps maybe :confused:

Am i expecting too much?

How much lower would the max load be using match grade brass than the suggested max load?

First trip out with the new set up had its positives and negatives. I'm using match grade lapua brass remy primers, so started loading fairly low and worked up in .2gr from 23-24 grains. All loads grouped fairly well with 23.4 giving me the best group but at 2800f/s its a lot lower than i was looking for, wanting 3200 fps maybe :confused:

Am i expecting too much?

How much lower would the max load be using match grade brass than the suggested max load?

what bullet is this with 40 grain or 50 grain ?

does seam a little on slow side. mind speed isnt everything accuracy is key. what length barrel is your 223 ? did you chrono that load or go roughly by what the reloading manual said

20inch barrell and it was chronographed. Its a new barrell, speed would hardly go up after some use would it? Normally the velocity would not be too important to me but i'm going to have a go at this wms steel plate challange and would like to push the .223 out as far as possible.

Grohe Shower.jpg
3 Shot group 100m

Job done
Lapua Brass
Remmy 7.5 Primers
52gr Amax heads
24gr H322
oal 2.260
3170fps (not as fast as i would have liked but can live with the grouping :D)

Back