Humane Dispatch

P3T3R

I want a humane dispatch pistol in 357, and after talking to some friends they say I will have to fight hard to obtain this. But on basc's site (search humane dispatch) they have an article and after reading it, it makes me think that if I say I need one they can't really turn me down.

I was hoping some if you could shed some light on this and help me out, I know it needs to be restricted to 2 shots, these are the people I will probably buy from http://www.sect5.co.uk

Many thanks Pete

I have a dispatch weapon of the calibre you mention, which I usually shoot 38 special through. Kent police like many forces do allow such weapons usually restricted to two shot. However my understanding is that they only consider applicants that have the land, experience and need for the weapon. If thats the case with yourself I wish you luck and success in your application.

Pete, I notice at the bottom of your post that you have so far shot 1 deer with one shot?

I'm not being funny mate, but I have shot hundreds of deer and attended hundreds of police RTA callouts and I've never needed a pistol yet.

Based on your experience, If I was your FLO and you told me you 'needed one', I'd probably beg to differ!

There are those can justify holding a pistol for such reasons, but can you?

Needing one and wanting one are two different matters!

MS:-|

I know I have only shot one, but I usually go stalking with my dad and he has shot plenty, and no matter where we go he always ends up getting the shot off and we were planning on having it on both our certificates, his needs renewing in 4/5 months

Personally I think you will struggle to convince the Kent constabulary, based on what you have said, and they are very unlikely to issue you a section 5 on behalf of your fathers experience and then share the weapon as well on both tickets :eek: In fact I will stick my neck out here and say I would gobsmacked if they did!!

Best of luck with your endevours.

You could get the stetson and spurs now and them progress to the wheelgun in a year or two. JC

There is an unwritten code used by some FLOs that restricts the granting of a pistol to professional users only, deer managers, knackermeen, vets,etc...amateur stalkers/hobby stalkers may in some counties have an uphill battle. The BDS do not help as their view is that pistols are unnecessary, I beg to differ, I have humanely dealt with 3 deer this month alone, 2 in fences and 1 RTA..and yes I have a 2/shot .32 revolver. A stalker that needs to carry a pistol on all stalking occasions may attract criticism in some quarters and have a re-training requirement,THE GOOD REASON TO POSSESS CAN ONLY BE HONESTLY ANSWERED BY THE APPLICANT, and his case dealt with on those merits by FLO. On analysis the nos of dispatches by firearm in my own case....22lr rifle/6 .243 rifle/3 .32 pistol/11 .410 shotgun/ 8 12g shotgun/ 0 knife/ 1 dead on arrival/ 5 any one of these methods is legal..with a 12g AAA/SG is best, not no6 etc ..the stats relate to a period from Nov/Today all calls from Forestry Commission,Police ,RSPCA, and private callers.IMHO THAT IS GOOD REASON,however a .410 has more ME THAN A .357 AT CLOSE RANGE, and is a very effective pistol at close range/or in cover;) ALL THE BEST,Anton

sorry if i did not myself clear this is no dig at anybody that has a pistol i was just curious how often they area used ...neil

Another thing to consider is that in the recent firearms review one of the suggested actions was to 'review' the process by which handguns are still granted. It has no relevance whatsoever to either the Cumbria shootings or the Raoul Moat incident so who knows why it is in there, but it is. It would probably be prudent to expect closer scrutiny in the future though...

Alex

When I was in hunt service I had a cash single shot .32 a .22 and a .410 all these where used regularly on the knacker round with the exception of the .32 was hardly ever used as it was very under powered for horned sheep and cattle and the .410 had much better clout but I have to say that for road RTA's with deer which the kennels were called out to all the time we normally took a twelve bore as it saved a lot of problems when the nice lady cuddling the poor deer, lets go and the deer tries to get up and run off. Deer are not easy to kill on the move with a pistol and excited policeman's shaky hand holding your torch. also the risk of either ricochets or the need to shoot with an unknown back stop should be considered.

How about one of those lever action saddle ring carbines? I've seen 'The Duke' kill loads of injuns off the backs of galloping ponies at 200m so a wriggling fallow buck with two broken legs at 10m should be no problem. JC

You could get the stetson and spurs now and them progress to the wheelgun in a year or two. JC

How about one of those lever action saddle ring carbines? I've seen 'The Duke' kill loads of injuns off the backs of galloping ponies at 200m so a wriggling fallow buck with two broken legs at 10m should be no problem. JC

Priceless totally priceless and so true:D

I think you will find it almost impossible to convince an FLO that you "need" one at all... If you are out stalking the 2 essential tools you will be carrying are a rifle and a knife, so why would you need a pistol in order to carry out a humane despatch???

I think you will find it almost impossible to convince an FLO that you "need" one at all... If you are out stalking the 2 essential tools you will be carrying are a rifle and a knife, so why would you need a pistol in order to carry out a humane despatch???

nothing is impossible :D
and if I'm not mistaken , it is not for humane despatch but for deer stalking duties
now that makes a huge difference , as it is a tool for a job ;)

Back