Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: managment book

managment book

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a decent book on wild deer managment?
    Not neccesarily about stalking more about the type of animals to cull and the reasons for choosing them.

Ezzy

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Ezzy

If you are talking about cull plans, methods of management, etc. try these:

Dominic Griffith's "Deer Management: Quality in Southern England" is good, though it seems like half the book is taken up with measuring antlers rather than deer management.

Andrew de Nahlik's "Management of Deer and their Habitat: Principles and Methods" is also good, though it can be quite hard going in places.

Also take a look at the Best Practice Guides from either DCS or the DI.

If you want to read more of a narrative about deer, their habitat and how to manage them both, then Ronnie Rose's "Working With Nature" would be top of my list every time.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 28-01-2011 at 19:57. Reason: Removed the rolling eyes!!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Cheers Willie,

I did my DSC with Ronnie Junior and Ronnie senior was with us for a couple of days, I must admit i was captivated by the mans knowledge and set about trying to get his book. unfortunately it's currently out of print and if you can find it, it's extremely expensive. i'll take a look at the others see if i can find them.

Regards, Ezzy

I would give DG book a miss its full of his own crap and it really is a book that suggest souther deer are the only ones on the island. I through it in the bin. Ritchard priors book deer management while expencive is a very good read infact it was on the shelf of the DCS in scotland as were most of his books. RR book is a great read but more about the mans life than deer managment but i would read it again if i could get it i had a signed copy.

I have just been asked to write a book on deer management for the Forestry Commision:
    Its reproduced in its entirety below:

If its brown...its down

the end
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Or it could be called. ( I SLEEP BY DAY AND LAMP BY NIGHT ) ( WHILE SINDICATES SLEEP ) (THE CORRECT USE OF AN OUT O
    F SEASON NIGHT LICENCE ) ETC ETC

You missed volume two IF ITS RED ITS DEAD.

Limulus,
    I think I read some of your earlier work, did you write the game shooting book 'if it flies it dies'? very informative.

Ezzy

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    it really is a book that suggest souther deer are the only ones on the island.
    Maybe the title should have given you a clue

By the author's own admission, his knowledge is limited to deer management in Southern England, mostly roe and fallow. If it's hill deer your interested in, give it a miss. Whatever the book's faults, it remains one of the few that takes you through the process and practicalities of managing deer.

With a couple of notable exceptions, stalking books can largely be divided into either "happy reminiscences" or "here's the kit you need". That's fine, and very enyoyable they are too, but if you want to understand more about practical deer management such as building a cull plan, there's not much out there.

If you still want to learn more, my suggestion would be to take the BDS Deer Manager's course.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Account Suspended
    +1 on all of the above.

DG knows more than most when it comes to effective and cost efficient southern England roe deer management.