Thread: Quad for the hills

Quad for the hills

I am used to using borrowed 500-650cc quads on the hill for work and deer however I might buy one shortly and like the idea of a smaller, lighter unit that will be easy to de-bog when i'm on my own. Any one using a sub 400cc quad for deer extraction? Any reccomendations?

Thanks

I had a yammy timber wolf 250 it was great and would go were the 4x4 would not i could lift with ease and had a good few reds on it no probs in fact three at one time when were were running out of light.

Going by every farm quad going I think Honda must be top of the charts. I have a 450 foreman. Starts first time every time. Can't fault it.

I agree with Gazza Honda is without doubt the best reliable quad out there (I run a honda motorcycle and love it). But it is like Landcruisers you will pay a premium for something you use 10 or less times a year (in my case) but when you need it you need it!!

I picked up a Yamaha Big Bear 350 which is permanent 4x4 with bull bar and front and back racks. The thing is a revalation when dragging and carrying deer.

Never failed to start on the button and never been stuck (yet) . Cost me under 1500 with new tyres and a bit of help with transport, for that you will get a pretty beat up Honda foreman or TRX 350. Try fleabay there are loads about and the Yamaha is good value.

Parts are mental money so tread carefully.

I have a Kawasaki 360, selectable 2/4 wheel drive, engine braking, starts on the button and has done 18000 miles! and yet to get stuck where I have not managed to get it out on my own, carries deer and Tartinjock no bother!

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    ............ carries deer and Tartinjock no bother!

John
    Now John, my friend..............Your choice of words there could have been better. Something like, " My quad carries myself and Tartinjock with ease, albiet a bot cosy for us both, TJ, for those who have not me him is of good, sleek, athletic build and weighs a meer 12 stone of fine tuned muscle"...........

"carries deer and Tartinjock no bother" does not put me accross as very athletic.

But I 'd agree, Johns quad does what it says on the tin pulls well up hill with 2 on it.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Will have a look at second hand Hondas and Kawasaki quads this week. Quoted weights for bigger engined quads not that much different from smaller ones. I reckon the Hondas are a little too expensive for what amounts to 30-40 outings a year......i hopre there is a decnt choice to pick from

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I have a Kawasaki 360, selectable 2/4 wheel drive, engine braking, starts on the button and has done 18000 miles! and yet to get stuck where I have not managed to get it out on my own, carries deer and Tartinjock no bother!

John
    I have one as well, not used for deer work though.
    It is used several times a week for working round the lakes, spends all it's time towing something, usually a trailer mounted chipper and a small tipping trailer full of tool, fuel, winches etc. in tandem behind the chipper.
    Every summer it transport tons of bagged chalk, 500 kilos at a time, and many tons of road repair materials, planeings, crushed concrete etc. not to mention tow starting an old dumper.
    It has never missed a beat, never got stuck and seldom needed the front diff lock, ground varies from bog to steep slippery banks.
    It's only downside, for me, is the variomatic transmission, while very good for general work, is not so good for creeping around quietly when out for rabbits and fox, engine tends to rev more than needed for the speed you are travelling at.

Neil.