Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: opinons on 30 06 caliber

opinons on 30 06 caliber

hi all
    im looking for peoples opinons on this caliber
    i am waiting on a license to come through for a Blaser r93 in 30 06
    im wondering have i made the right choice with this caliber?

how do , a mate of mine has the exact gun, i,ve shot it a few times and found it to bea very nice rifle to shoot, very accurate and not to bad recoil wise. cheers

Easy answer, yes. It may be considered by some to be too much gun for muntjac, but I have seen munty's shot with little damage. It will also cope with everything else up to plains-game. It's got to be one of the most popular calibres in the world.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

These things tend to go in fads, a couple of years back everyone was going for .308, now the .30-06 seems to be gaining more favour again but I doubt you'll find many people on here who will have a bad thing to say about the .30-06, even those who had one and changed for whatever reason. Like the .308 it's a flexible cartridge (slightly more so in terms of bullet weights) and perfect for the range of species in the UK from small deer up to reds and boar.

I have been using 150 grain speer soft points through mine and have had good results from muntjac up to red stag and boar (with 180gr).

Alex

best you can get , like csl ive taken everything from muntjac to boar with mine .

Quote Originally Posted by upscuttled View Post
    hi all
    im looking for peoples opinons on this caliber
    i am waiting on a license to come through for a Blaser r93 in 30 06
    im wondering have i made the right choice with this caliber?
    If you make your money in deer management out of the carcasses and venison then 30-06 is too much. I have been so fed up with carcasses blown up by this calibre I've told my stalkers not to use them, which is a shame because they are nice rifles and not a bad calibre . . . for large game in North America, Africa or Wild Boar!

I have an R93 with a 30/06 barrel (20.5"), bought it for pigs really. It is a pussycat to shoot, I actually find it recoils and barks less than my 270.

You can get pretty decent velocity with a 165gr bullet (best choice I think) in a 30/06. Short of really big stuff in Africa, there is damn little I wouldn't tackle with the 30'06, anything from small deer through to large antelope and pigs is meat and drink to it.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by The deer man View Post
    ....I have been so fed up with carcasses blown up by this calibre I've told my stalkers not to use them...
    150gr Ballistic Tips?

I have shot a couple of munties with 30 cals without excessive carcass damage.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by The deer man View Post
    If you make your money in deer management out of the carcasses and venison then 30-06 is too much. I have been so fed up with carcasses blown up by this calibre I've told my stalkers not to use them, which is a shame because they are nice rifles and not a bad calibre . . . for large game in North America, Africa or Wild Boar!
    That's interesting, it would be good to know what loads caused the most problems. If anything with the speer sp's I've found the opposite, the wound channel to be punched clean through. Although the hole is sometimes wider than say, .243, the peripheral bruising has been less. Admittedly I've not taken large numbers with mine yet, but the range includes muntjac, roe, fallow, sika and red.

The only two incidents of excessive damage so far has been:

1) On a muntjac doe, the shot angle wasn't quite ideal slightly angled and downwards and the bullet clipped the scapula on the way in so obviously the damage was worse as a consequence, but still limited to the close proximity of the wound channel

Deer stalking with a .30-06

2) On a fallow doe, the shot was a couple of inches further back than ideal, the entry wound was evident but I had trouble finding the exit wound. On gralloching I saw 3 ribs on the opposite side were broken and there were two tiny exit wounds. It looked like someone had smacked the opposite side from the inside with a lump hammer. Never got to the bottom of that one, can only assume the bullet failed/over expanded?!

Other than that, nice tidy holes straight in and straight out, minimal damage

Alex

In terms of availability of ammo, bullet choice, load options if you reload and lots of other really practical and sensible things that make owning a rifle a pleasure rather than a trial of hunting around the country to try to buy ammo and so on then you can't go wrong with the 30-06. Here in Ireland we seem to be right at the end of the supply chain and so "common as muck " is the way to go to make life easy. The Blaser is a lovely rifle and is also very practical and easy to live with and has a great reputation with most people and I'm willing to bet that in a few years time you will be glad you picked the combination you did. (I have a Blaser in 308 which in terms of Irish deer stalking is just about the same rifle as you are getting)