Thread: Distance to the lands!!

Distance to the lands!!

Just taken recipt of mt new 6.5x55 rifle and started to relaod for as ession thsi afternoon. Measured the OAL for 2 of the bullets im going to reload with my OAL guage. As expected the 95g VMAX bullet was basically at the end of the case before it touched the lands adn the 129g Hornady SST is out a good way also (due to the boat tail there aint enough bearing surface to put this 10 or even 20 thou off the lands).

I ahev decided to seat both bullets to calibre depth(plus the boat tail on the SST). Is this the best approach? Dont think I ahev many other options. Got some Berger 140g and some Sierra pro hunter 120g to try next.

thanks Steve
    Last edited by 204 Ruger; 29-01-2011 at 10:36.

Steve for what it's worth I usually start with the bullets base seated the the base of the neck if it's possible that is and work out from there. I do not sibscribe to thei almost touching the lands as in my personal experience the best precision and grouping has come from having the bullet seated further into the case. With your 6.5x55 rifle I would be very much surprised if you would be able to seat many bullets almost kissing the lands due to them being throated to allow the seating of the 156 and 160 grain RN bullets..

Last night I loaded some 25-05 with the Speer 120 grain bullet and these have to be seated deeper than that or they will not chamber, their base is below the neck/shoulder juncture, something I also try to acoid if possible as for soem reason it just seems wrong to have the base of the bullet hanging down into the powder chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Steve for what it's worth I usually start with the bullets base seated the the base of the neck if it's possible that is and work out from there. I do not sibscribe to thei almost touching the lands as in my personal experience the best precision and grouping has come from having the bullet seated further into the case. With your 6.5x55 rifle I would be very much surprised if you would be able to seat many bullets almost kissing the lands due to them being throated to allow the seating of the 156 and 160 grain RN bullets..

Last night I loaded some 25-05 with the Speer 120 grain bullet and these have to be seated deeper than that or they will not chamber, their base is below the neck/shoulder juncture, something I also try to acoid if possible as for soem reason it just seems wrong to have the base of the bullet hanging down into the powder chamber.
    Thanks fopr the quick respons Brit. So with the SST's do I seat the bullet so that the end of the base of the bullet is inline with the top of the neck or deeper so that the point of contact with the bearing surface (if you know what I mean!)

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Thanks fopr the quick respons Brit. So with the SST's do I seat the bullet so that the end of the base of the bullet is inline with the top of the neck or deeper so that the point of contact with the bearing surface (if you know what I mean!)
    Steve,

Regardles of tail shape the base of the bullet is the base, that which it would stand on if you place it so on the work top, it's the base I seat to the base of the neck. It's not critical so I just compare a bullet held against the seated one and judge it by eye. Load a few and try them then if I believe they can perform better grouping wise I start seating them out. How for out in steps that's for you to decide. Some say 0.005" but I do not normally do that. 0.010" -0.025" seems about right to me at this stage.

I settled on this approach after having fits getting a good group in the 7x57 with the Hornady 139 Gr BTSP, before it had been doing nicely with the 139Gr Spire Point which is flat based then I couldn't get any more so got the BTSP's. I seated them to the same depth and the BTSP gave a group of over double the size of the Flat Based bullet. After fiddling with it with no joy and time getting short as this rifle was going on a booked hunting trip with me I seated to the cannulure and worked out. The sweet spot was with the cannulure about 0.050" out of the case mouth. From then on I started deep and worked out after realising that the 6.5x55 cannot reach the lands, neither can my 30-30 witht he bulelts I am using. Same goes fo the .303 and as I was getting very decent grouping form all and reasonable with the .303 with 150 grain bullets it started me questioning the mantra of almost touching the lands.

Steve, why not try it the old fashioned way and use the Hornady manual C.O.L for 129gn SST's, 2.905" and work from there?

I will admit I started by measuring distance to the lands, which was 3.225" in my rifle. But this left little bullet inside the case neck, so I reverted to the Hornady manual length and then moved it out in small increments. I could tell you what works in my rifle but it would be pointless, it will be far better for you to work out what your own rifle prefers.

Regards, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Thanks chaps. Will let you know how I get on.

Steve
    If I load my 6.5 ammo until it is just off the lands they will not go in the magazine. the technique I use for a datum point for all my rifles is I go and buy a box of factory ammo from 4 or 5 differant makers and shoot them and see which one shoots best then i use the OAL of those bullets as a starting point.
    222 shoots Norma best
    6.5x55 shoots Federal best
    270 shoots Winchester best
    30.06 shoots Winchester best
    It will be interesting to see which the 22.250 shoots best when my variation comes through ( I have been told Cheshire firearms Dept are taking up to 12 weeks for a variation)
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Steve
    If I load my 6.5 ammo until it is just off the lands they will not go in the magazine. the technique I use for a datum point for all my rifles is I go and buy a box of factory ammo from 4 or 5 differant makers and shoot them and see which one shoots best then i use the OAL of those bullets as a starting point.
    222 shoots Norma best
    6.5x55 shoots Federal best
    270 shoots Winchester best
    30.06 shoots Winchester best
    It will be interesting to see which the 22.250 shoots best when my variation comes through ( I have been told Cheshire firearms Dept are taking up to 12 weeks for a variation)
    Thanks Keith. I made 50 yesterday and send them all down the barrel with excellent results (with your once fired brass I might add ). OMG 12 weeks thats shocking, you need to move a couple of miles over the border in my direction...you dont need a passport you know!!

I had the same thing happen to me when I started reloading and thought what am I doing wrong. I was told that a rought rule of thumb was to seat no less then the diameter of the bullet you were reloading....may be a load of old tosh, I dont know.....but I did it for my 6.5 and it worked...I stuck to it and didnt fart around with it..maybe it was just luck?

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me when I started reloading and thought what am I doing wrong. I was told that a rought rule of thumb was to seat no less then the diameter of the bullet you were reloading....may be a load of old tosh, I dont know.....but I did it for my 6.5 and it worked...I stuck to it and didnt fart around with it..maybe it was just luck?
    Thats pretty much what I ended up doing yesterday and pleased with the results so far.