Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanker Drivers Protest

Account Suspended

Tanker Drivers Protest

Do we need to do more and how do you think the campaign against fuel prices should be carried out.

Just as fuel duty went up by 0.76p a litre on the 1st January 2011 the VAT rate rise from 17.5% to 20% quickly followed on 4th January. This coupled with an oil spill from the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS), which caused a spike in the price of crude has seen the price of fuel in the UK climb, with some saying it could hit 6 a gallon (1.32p a litre).

The fuel price monitoring website petrolprices.com monitors about 11,000 garages in the UK and puts the average price per litre at 127.8p. But says that there are four forecourts in the country where fuel is at 1.40p per litre for unleaded.

TAPS carries about 15% of America’s oil and is owned by the Alyeska Pipeline Service Company whose major shareholders are BP, ConocoPhillips Transportation and Exxon Mobil. The company says there is no environmental threat from the leak. But the market fall out was a leap of 2.3% in the price of Brent crude to $95.46p a barrel (159 litres / 42 US gallons / 35 imperial gallons).

This will all place upward pressure on the price at the nozzle and, with no sign of respite from government quarters, it looks like more pain at the pumps for average Joe. Not to mention the knock on increases in prices for food etc.

As a result we have the spectre of a re-run of the fuel protests the nation suffered from in 2000. Maybe worse.

Fuel prices
    Tough times ahead for the government. To press ahead with the green agenda at the cost of the economy, or put the recovery first?

The fuel price stabilising plan the government talked about before getting into office is a way of altering tax levels as the price of crude changed, so shielding the consumer from speculators as well as the true price of oil. But of course all that would happen is that the price of crude would go up and the tax would come down so the speculators and suppliers would get rich as the Treasury suffered. And it would be administratively cumbersome.

The truth is that the government are in a corner. They have green agenda and credentials to push and protect but want to keep the people happy. That was always a rock and a hard place between which some government would, in the end, always come to be trapped. But it is also made doubly worse with the fact that, at this present time, the government needs every penny of revenue it can get.

But that dosent help us trying to make ends meet We all really have started to look if our journey is really really necessary and is owning a car becoming a luxury we can ill afford, it certainly effects me when going stalking i think twice and only go stalking half as much as i used to due to the expense and i am sure others here have been affected in a similar manner.
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 29-01-2011 at 10:40.

"But that dosent help us trying to make ends meet We all really have started to look if our journey is really really necessary and is owning a car becoming a luxury we can ill afford, it certainly effects me when going stalking i think twice and only go stalking half as much as i used to due to the expense and i am sure others here have been affected in a similar manner."

Same as you with the outings into the countryside Stu.
    Trying to make ends meet? I`ve given up trying that game, just go further into debt every month.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    "But that dosent help us trying to make ends meet We all really have started to look if our journey is really really necessary and is owning a car becoming a luxury we can ill afford, it certainly effects me when going stalking i think twice and only go stalking half as much as i used to due to the expense and i am sure others here have been affected in a similar manner."

Same as you with the outings into the countryside Stu.
    Trying to make ends meet? I`ve given up trying that game, just go further into debt every month.
    basil.
    i agree whole heartedly there , im very lucky that 90% of my stalking in within 15 mins of my home but i still look at the fuel gauge and think before i go , where as before it would be get home from work grab the rifle and the dog an off i go .

i totalled 276 outings last year , i doubt ill do half that unless i can earn a few more quid out of it !

ive never been to worried about blanking but now im a married man and have my new wife to concider now , i try a hell of a lot harder to get e result , for the freezer or to run into the game dealer to cover my fuel !

its very sad and gloomy times were in

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Stu, we in Chester area have had 1.31 point 9 for quite a while now.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

This is a subject that really gets my back up as with many folk on here.

I am the same and because any stalking i do is at least 250 miles away it aint something i could afford to do every week.

It`s okay the government bringing a fuel stablizer but to me that won`t help anyone when in reality we need them to reduce the tax and vat by a substantial amount. They are already reaping the benefits by 12 million a day that they never accounted for so why can`t they give us that back.

So waht can be done? fuel blockages again, stop buying fuel from the major suppliers like Shell or ESSO or everyone not to buy fuel for at least 1 day per week!!. I don`t know the answer but i know one thing for sure, France or Spain or even the Yanks wouldn`t put up with thes fuel prices.

wadas

I earn my living from trying to run a 44t HGV and i was the second truck in the 2000 standoff at Grangemouth BP refinery but the next time i won't sleep in!! Now 600 to brim my truck and last year was 450 and it lasts two days if you drive with a lightbulb on the Loud pedal.

The price fuel goes up as soon as oil does.What about the billions of gallons that have already been refined into petrol ,real con job. the government dont give a toss because the higher it goes the more money thay are making.Until we make a stand (like the french and other countries do) they will continue to take the piss out of us

[QUOTE=Mannlicher_Stu;178537], with some saying it could hit 6 a gallon (1.32p a litre).

My Local garage is charging 1.35.9 and has been for a few days, it seems to be the average around here, somethings got to give sooner or later.

Just make your own
    Mine works out about 45ppl and I can make 2500l per annum without upsetting the tax man
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

i saw diesiel this eve at 1.30.9 a litre at thickthorn total garage on the A11 - A47 junction in norfolk nr norwich

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.