RWS Geco Ammunition

Boghossian

Hi guys

I picked up a box of 105 grain 243 ammo last week and was wondering if anyone had experience with these T Mantel bullets on game?

Cheers

Gabriel

t mantel

hi boghossan never used 105gr t/mantel.but i have shot hundreds of 130gr t and h mantel i really rate them supeb on roe and the best brass in the buisness hope this helps

RWS

Hi

Been using T Mantel in my Sako 75 .243 for a while. I really rate them. They seem to suit my rifle better than any other ammo I have tried. Found them to be very effective on deer, chest and head shots.

Sticks

Thanks for the comments fellas, I took them to the range and they grouped well. On coming home I discovered all the empties had cratered primers and one case had a pierced primer. Looks like excessive pressure to me so I may try Federals before blaming the gun (2nd hand Brno I acquired recently)...

Gabe,
I have a BRNO 243, good gun, hard as nails, and very accurate.

John

Just a though have you looked at the firing pin? If it's a gun that has been around a bit it may have a pitted or damaged tip to the pin. The jagged edge can then pierce the primer.

Thanks for the tips guys, it has also been re-barelled at some point in it's history so I'm hoping it doesn't have a tight chamber etc. It was a bargain gun and I don't want to shell out for gunsmithing if I can help it.

Fingers crossed the Federals do ok though....can anyone tell me if mere 'flattened' primers are anything to worry about, just trying to learn at which point I should be genuinely worried...

i used .243 t-mantel 100gn (6.5 g) in my prohunter, best ammo i've used in tems of consistency and grouping.

my dealer only uses it in .30-06 and .243.

i looked on their website, couldnt see 105gn?

Flattened primers are generally regarded as being an early indicator of pressure However they need to be well flattened with next to no radius left on the corners. Plus you have to remember that all primers are not created equal, softer metal equals danger signs that are not really there. Difficult extraction is a far more reliable sign, I take it the bolt handle lift's OK and you have no trouble extracting the empty case?

If it does extract OK I would try with the Federals and see what their primers are like.

John

Thanks bucksden, it is 100 grains, not 105...

Just hope I can get similar accuracy, without any signs of pressure using Federal ammo. I have used the power shok bullets in 270 on many deer with no problems, so I have no worries in that regard. More the high pressure/safety aspect that has me a bit concerned.

The RWS 105gr .243 must still be available as a friend uses it for all Deer species all the time.
He gives me the empties which I re-load for myself.
I have found the RWS/Geco brass to be of high quality.

HWH.

243RWS001jpg.jpg

Thanks for the pic Stag1933, that is the stuff I used.

I should really have tried several makes of ammo but I will do it asap.

I have also heard that 'cratered' primers may just be a byproduct of a weak firing pin or poor fit...slightly confusing but I hope not to find out if the next trial yields better results.

Fingers crossed!

It is a fact that some primers are softer than others.
Years ago I had a Mauser Model 77 with a weak firing-pin spring.
It often mis-fired with CCI primers but never with Remington.
It could be that there is a gap around your pin and when you fire the primer expands into it.
If you can lift your bolt handle easily after firing a shot I do not think you have a serious problem regarding pressure.

HWH.

Just bought some Geco 105g in .243 and they shoot really well through my blaser r93, 1" group at 100m, very happy, as was worried my rifle may not be able to stabalize the heavy bullets. Can not wait to go stalking. Happy hunting.:D

ive used rws 100 t mantle and geco 105 t mantle both are very accurate in my sako75 and have dropped all the deer i have shot so far very well.

Had three fallow does this morning with 105gr GECO .243. Really good wound channels in the 2 that were chest shot at 150ish yards. Have been so impressed with this round over the winter. Grouping is under an inch at 100yds. Also ran a string through the chronograph yesterday and they came out at 3050ish fps at 12 feet from the muzzle - 22"barrel Sako .243. No pressure signs. I am a homeloading fanatic, but I am so happy with these GECO rounds.

mauser66, thats quick its 100fps quicker than stated on the box, i thought when at the range trying different makes they seemed a tad quick,do you think that the higher velocity helps stabilize them in the sako barrels(1 in 10 twist) whatever it is they are cracking rounds.

I have to say this is news to me, I know of RWS but not come accross this T Mantel stuff before, it does sound interesting, and a sensible price I am led to believe, anyone got any ideawhere I can get some??

Quyite happy to travel 50-60-70 miles fromberkshire...Cheers

Back