Fox & .22RF

Labrat

I've been asked to take on some pest control responsibilities for (for the sake of anonymity) a 26 acre private fenced park and garden complex.

site is roughly rectangular, main road one side, small number of houses bordering, 150m at widest point and one whole 250m edge onto (little used) FC woodlands.

I've been asked to sort out rabbits, squirrels, pigeon and rooks, so I'm sticking in a request for a moderated .22 RF, since I've not got one at the moment, as I feel that this is going to be pretty ideal for the target species and site

However... I've also been asked to sort out any foxes that get on site as an upmost priority, and I feel that land permission for the .243 on this site is unlikely to be given - so, having personally only ever taken fox with a full bore rifle I've heard people talk of taking them with .22RF - my question to you guys is whether this is really a viable option? is .22 really an effective calibre on Fox, or the resort of the uncaring ******* who doesn't care about a clean kill?

I cannot afford a .17HMR as well, so should I stamp my feet at the FEO and demand clearance for .243, take them with the .22 or should I be running a mile and losing the chance of some really nice pest shooting?

Now there's an age old argument that's likely to cause a little debate!!!
However, I bet more foxes have been shot with a .22LR over the years than any other calibre!:eek:
MS:)

i first started with the trusty old cz22lr and shot umm 40ish foxes with it! ok it doesnt open a fox up but that is all to do with placement!! no reason what so ever :D

Labrat,

Whilst not the ideal tool for foxes a 22lr is perfectly capable of killing foxes humanely at SENSIBLE RANGES. i dont normally use a 22 for foxes but i shot 9 last year with mine using normal subsonic amunition and none of them moved an inch from where they stood. all were under 60yds. dont worry about using stingers or HV ammo just get good at hitting what you aim at with one type of amunition and stick to it.

Ezzy.

Hi Labrat,

I hope you are well mate. I had a similar scenario and the .22lr is perfect, i tend to head shoot them if close enough and they drop on the spot. providing you hit them spot on at a sensible range it will kill cleanly.

ATB

Rob
243Sako

Cheers all - As I say, just a little reticence since I've never taken one with .22 myself. I'll just have to keep it close in, no probs.

thanks

k

Hi Labrat,
ezzy 6.5 is spot on,just be careful of the ricochets, there are places i'd use my 17hmr that i wouldn't the 22, i recon the 22lr is more dangerous than any of me other rifles for this reason alone, in my experiance, there's probably more chance of one with the the 22lr than anything else i've shot, on stoney ground you may be getting ricochets more often than not.
Sods law says, if its going to happen and it hits something it shouldn't, it'll end up with a complaint to the local FEO, if you're lucky!

Tikkat3

If you intend to shoot fox with .22LR, you will need it on ticket as such, just to stay legal, though I doubt your licensing bods would allow it, but odder things have happened, like some counties OK'ing .17HMR for fox where others will not.

NOT had a .22 rimmy for year's even with Head shot Rabbit's to MANY pick up's for my likeing. I now use a .17hmr which so far i have only had the odd pick up

If you intend to shoot fox with .22LR, you will need it on ticket as such, just to stay legal, though I doubt your licensing bods would allow it, but odder things have happened, like some counties OK'ing .17HMR for fox where others will not.

Plod would not sanction fox on 22LR. They rely on the wording of para 13.23 of the Home Office guide to police 2002 as copied below. In practical terms it means less than 50 yards. I always go for a heads shot with does the job nicely.

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered
suitable for the shooting of foxes range from
.17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250
and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range
of suitable similar calibres commercially
available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets
aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to
use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes
they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or
6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally
too low-powered to be used against fox
except at short range, but may reasonably be
permitted for use against such quarry in
certain circumstances. However, sole use
against fox would not normally be sufficient
“good reason” to acquire such a rifle
(see
paragraph 13.15). Combination shot gun/rifles
should have the rifled barrel in a similar
calibre. Expanding ammunition should be
authorised for shooting foxes. Those involved
in shooting foxes will normally be authorised
to possess up to 250 rounds and acquire 200
at any given time, but consideration should
though be given to each shooter’s individual
circumstances, particularly where re-loaders are
acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.14 on
allowing applicant’s flexibility to reasonably
shoot other species on named land.

The 22 was my favourite gun when the fur trade was good years back , head shots were good as was the middle of the chest when facing you heart shots behind the front leg are okay but its all about hitting the mark . Back then i earned £17 a week as a trainee keeper and the best price i got for a prime pelt was £30 no place for full bore ballistic tips then and they were no less dead . My mate had a 22 magnum and that was good for fox

Last edited:
Why don't you consider 22WMR or 17HMR; both rimfires and more than capable of fox at correct ranges. Having said that, the 22LR is cheap to run!.

Last edited:
Why don't you consider 22WMR or 17HMR; both rimfires and more than capable of fox at correst ranges. Having said that, the 22LR is cheap to run!.

My problem is the site I think - small site, park and garden type site, with livestock on site and houses nearby disturbance is going to be a major factor, making a moderated .22 with subsonic my best option. given the nature of the site I reckon its going to be possible to keep all shooting within 50 yards, so hopefully OK

Nothing wrong with .22RF for foxes i've shot loads using this caliber and in fact prob preffer it to my larger rifles !

Agree, I have shot quite a few with eley subs, pref head shots, but side on heart lung and sensible ranges are very effective.

My gun also like Magtechs and these might be even more effective.

D

Couple of points here, most of the issues have been covered.

A 22wmr or a hornet would be a better choice than a LR for the foxes. The Wmr with 33gr Vmax kills foxes convincingly with some noise, but less chance of richochet than a lead long rifle bullet.

I understand your issues with neighbouring property etc and the need not to make luch noise.

Consider that you need to kill those foxes cleanly, you do not want a fox running off with a 22 in the chest and dying in a neighbours garden in front of their kids or whatever. I might be inclined to suggest that you confine LR shots on foxes to 50 yards or less and head shoot them....

Just put pest control on your application
just what i was thinking mate sure my ticket which is open has vermin control and zero next to .22 lr and foxs are vermin on my shoot , the 22 is very useful and is an important tool when i am looking for cubs in spring . i have had more than a few vixons but not at long ranges .

just what i was thinking mate sure my ticket which is open has vermin control and zero next to .22 lr and foxs are vermin on my shoot , the 22 is very useful and is an important tool when i am looking for cubs in spring . i have had more than a few vixons but not at long ranges .
Shame the local plods don't include fox within pest or vermin, it's a named species on ticket.

Back