Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First outing with new Steyr ProHunter :)

First outing with new Steyr ProHunter :)

Took my new Steyr Pro hunter 6.5 x 55 out for the first time today. Has a box of Privi P 156g and some home loads which included 3 loads of 129g Hndy SST's and a load of 95g VMAX. Got the rifle on the paper with the bore slighter then zero's at 100 yards (will adjust this next week at the range to 1" high at 100 yards). Started off with the privis and to my amazement (didn't expect much for 14 a box) I achieved a sub 1" group at 100 yards. Then tried the SST's and found that they were almost bang on the same zero and the same with the VMAX. All nice tight groups. Moved out to 200 yards but had the sun almost directly in-front of us so had to improvise with a bit of a sun screen and found it hard on max magnification on the scope so stayed at 18 mag. Shot 5 of the SST's and 5 of the Privis and had a walk back to check the groups. Was very pleased to find that considering he conditions I had managed a 1.5" group with both rounds, the SST's had dropped close to 6" (which is almost bang on the ballistics calc which stated 5.5") and the Privis had dropped a further 4 inches. Happy with where my POI was at that range we decided to set up the 'GONG'. My mate had made a 10" solid steel (apx 20mm think steel plate) plate, which we hung from a tree apx 2M off the floor(Before I get slated for safety, this is on a property right out in the wilds, this particular spot has a very large bank right behind it sloping up onto moorland, we were shooting down hill with a good view of the whole area, so very safe).

We took turns taking shots at the GONG at 200 yards, which was good fun, seeing the thing shoot back and up adn then hearing the 'DING'. Ive got a range day on Saturday so will give it another good test and then get some practice on sticks ready for my first deer stalk with John for YRS in February.

All I can say is that considering the bad press this rifle gets for the flimsy stock (and it is very flimsy) I didn't have one flyer out of 50 rounds fired and was very impressed with the safety system, trigger, action and the fit of the stock. The for-end was touching the barrel for every shot I took due to me shooting off a bipod and it didn't cause me an issue. At this point not going to mess with the for-end, I can handle it being floppy (happens to us all after a few beers ). If it aint broke don't fix it!! Very pleased, I got a real bargain and couldn't believe the minimal level of recoil from such a powerful round. Im sure Ill get slated for saying this but it compares with the kick off my 22.250.

ATB Steve
    Last edited by 204 Ruger; 29-01-2011 at 21:22.

Welcome to the world of the 6.5, you will never fully recover

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

You've just bought the pitching wedge, now you need to get yourself a driver!

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Welcome to the world of the 6.5, you will never fully recover

Simon
    I cant belive how good it actually is!! Thanks for the advice on OAL, really helped. Recon some more time on the range Ill get the 200 yards groups right down. Got to practice off sticks now and get some considence 60 - 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    You've just bought the pitching wedge, now you need to get yourself a driver!
    Driver being? 308?

That's a putter!

Glad to hear your doing well .................................................. . oh yes ignore the nay-sayers if you like it and are happy thier opinions are worth what it costs to get them....................................... NOTHING .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Glad to hear your doing well .................................................. . oh yes ignore the nay-sayers if you like it and are happy thier opinions are worth what it costs to get them....................................... NOTHING .
    Well said Brit, the good thing about the bad publicity is that it has driven the second-hand price down of the Pro-hunter's. I don't think there is anything wrong with the barrel and action, although i dislike the fact you have to have M-S fit a replacement barrel if you need one, the fact is they will drop deer all day long if used correctly. I would never buy one new, but second hand mmmmmmm..... you never know!

As long as Steve is happy nothing else matters. Good on you

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hmmm Simon I know little to nothing about the modern Steyr's. Stevie is happy and whether anyone else likes his choice of combination matters not a jot. As long as he is happy that is all that matters.

It's the same about my choices, the only people I have to please is me. myself and I , others can say what they like. Oh BTW just got back from the range and I can say that I am now happy enough wiht the 120 grn Speers in the 25-06 so I am thinking perhaps i should take it out after deer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Well said Brit, the good thing about the bad publicity is that it has driven the second-hand price down of the Pro-hunter's. I don't think there is anything wrong with the barrel and action, although i dislike the fact you have to have M-S fit a replacement barrel if you need one, the fact is they will drop deer all day long if used correctly. I would never buy one new, but second hand mmmmmmm..... you never know!

As long as Steve is happy nothing else matters. Good on you

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm Simon I know little to nothing about the modern Steyr's. Stevie is happy and whether anyone else likes his choice of combination matters not a jot. As long as he is happy that is all that matters.

It's the same about my choices, the only people I have to please is me. myself and I , others can say what they like. Oh BTW just got back from the range and I can say that I am now happy enough wiht the 120 grn Speers in the 25-06 so I am thinking perhaps i should take it out after deer soon.
    Cheers chaps. Agree entirely, I think having done my homework on thsi rifle had I been planning to spend 850 on a new one I would more than likely have bought a Sako or a Tikka but for the money I have paid for this I could afford to have a nice stock made for it and still have change . My mate had his Tikka varmint 223 with us yesterday and yes the stock is much better but when you consider the nice twist in the barrel, nice safety system and unbelivable trigger for a factory rifle (oh did I mention that this had been fitted with the optional set trigger which is awesome) its a cracking rifle. Shame that people will be put off them due to the bad publicity. ATB Steve