Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: charging for medal heads

charging for medal heads

as we all know we often see for sale medal heads for sale with there prices laid out for a bronze silver or gold but what i would like to know is once the animal is shot how is the stalker working out what class the head falls into? is it just guess work or is there a system they are using becuase a simple mistake could see the stalker lossing out or the client paying over the odds and if you were to wait and have the head measured by a cic judge then there would be the wait for the head to dry before it could be measured incuring a long wait for the stalker being payed and the chance of the client just buggering off

I think all the pro stalkers I have ever used go by weight of the trophy. It is usually weighed wet on the cleaned full skull, then 10% is deducted because the skull is still wet.
    They are always weighed in front of the client, so that it can be seen that there is not any"funny business)
    Medal skull weights start at around the 490gm mark.

I would be very dubious if any other system was used ( ie guessimation of what is a bronze, silver, gold etc)

Six months wait before you can officially weigh a medal head

One of the chaps i know dose something similar to Lakey and charges what he thinks the head will make . So if you shoot a bronze border weight silver he will charge you bronze the head remains with him for the 90 days gets sent away to R PRIOR and then the bill is settled fully once official. so if it makes a silver and a few hundred pounds is owed or what ever the client sends it and the trophy and all the paper work is sent to them. If they want to take the trophy away then he will go to the heavier side and will send the money to the client if it makes a lesser medal. Normally if its a low grade bronze it will be just given as its not worth the hassel. My self if they shoot a medal with me its happy days for them no charge but we only had 3 last year not quite fife is it ha ha .

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I think all the pro stalkers I have ever used go by weight of the trophy. It is usually weighed wet on the cleaned full skull, then 10% is deducted because the skull is still wet.
    They are always weighed in front of the client, so that it can be seen that there is not any"funny business)
    Medal skull weights start at around the 490gm mark.

I would be very dubious if any other system was used ( ie guessimation of what is a bronze, silver, gold etc)

Six months wait before you can officially weigh a medal head
    What system do you use that the waiting time is 6 months?The CIC can be measured after only 90 days.

We have several roe that would certainly go bronze and probably silver on some land. Should we charge people for taking these medals more than just the 30 carcass fee thats currently charged? What do these medals go for?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I would never pay for a trophy i don't see the point a deer's a deer ! I don't mind an outing fee if its reasonable

A fool and his money soon parted as they say !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sako751sg View Post
    What system do you use that the waiting time is 6 months?The CIC can be measured after only 90 days.
    I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I would never pay for a trophy i don't see the point a deer's a deer ! I don't mind an outing fee if its reasonable

A fool and his money soon parted as they say !!!!!
    Not so my friend, its different strokes for different folks, just the way hunting is ment to be. IMHO

I charge and agree a price while the animal is on his feet.
    He is then paid for as agreed if the estimation is proved wrong by measuring then the difference is made right by payment or free stalking whichever is prefered.
    If its bigger its my loss though some will pay me anyway.
    So i tend to be on the right side when I guess.
    As stated price agreed before shot, never been a problem.

thanks for your posts chaps it was just a curriosity thing really and i'm supprised that some of you will wait until the trophy is measured before collecting your money in full from the client, ok you retain the actual trophy until the bill is setteled but its still a lot of trust from your part