Thread: Just goes to show..... Difference in leade and so seating depth

Just goes to show..... Difference in leade and so seating depth

This one nearly caught me out this morning luckily I always check for my handloads chambering. Took the data from my handloading records and seated the 1st bullet to the COL used last time then tried to chamber the round and the bolt didn't want to close.................................. Hmmm so I checked the COL, checked that's what i wrote down then got the dummy case out with the same type of bullet in and chambered that then measured the COL............................................. Whoa that's much shorter.

The last lot that I entered into my record were for the Majestic these load are to test the Monarch and it seem the Monarch has a much shorter leade. Both are in 270 Win and this is using the Sierra 140 GR BTSP #1845 The bullet needed to be seated 0.050" deeper for the Monarch so I have made a note in the loading records.

Just goes to show .

I was just sat here smiling to myself, wondering what the records are like for all your rifles Must be like a library

Good point though, and well made.

Simon

Edit, I wonder what Muir and Gitano's reloading notes are like? Many and comprehensive do you think??
    Last edited by flytie; 30-01-2011 at 12:10. Reason: imaginary
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

To further that one a little. The factory leede in a 6.5mm chamber must be quite long in order to safely accommodate 160 grain bullets - which in this case are quite long.

So where would we stand in trying to seat a 100 grain or less, bullet, just off the lands in order to obtain the desired accuracy ?

The answer is of course that I'm just being an awkward cuss - but there must be one or two instances where this sort of situatiobn occurrs - or is the 6.5mmm range of bullet lengths to weight fairly unique ?

Ken.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoman View Post
    To further that one a little. The factory leede in a 6.5mm chamber must be quite long in order to safely accommodate 160 grain bullets - which in this case are quite long.

So where would we stand in trying to seat a 100 grain or less, bullet, just off the lands in order to obtain the desired accuracy ?

The answer is of course that I'm just being an awkward cuss - but there must be one or two instances where this sort of situatiobn occurrs - or is the 6.5mmm range of bullet lengths to weight fairly unique ?

Ken.
    Ahhh well having three different 6.5mm rifles and each one a different cartidge I have played about with the 6.5's over the years. The lightest bullet I have used in handloading for them is the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tip which of course cannot touch the leade and remain retained by the case.

My rifles are two Steyrs, Model 1892 and 1903 and the Sporterised Swedish Mauser. Until 2 years ago i alos had an Obendorf Mauser M96 Slide Bolt in 6.5x55.

The Model 1903 Schoenauer is reknowned for being fussy about bullet weight and not liking lighter bullets. or that is what we hear. After having the new Stery barrel fitted in 6.5x54MS it was pleasent to find that it happily grouped the 100 grain bullets. I did not get extensive development done as hte rifle really requires a new stock long enough in LOP to fit me.

I have also tried 120 Grn Ballistic Tips and 120 Grn Speer Hot Cors in the Mdl 1892 6.5x53R and did find laods that shot to the express sights at 100 yards.

Now the surprise with the .270's this morning was that both are of about the same vintage, within 7 years or so, and both of the same make. The one which uses the longer seating depth has been used more, or it looks like it might had hd more use, but as I do not know who owner them previously back to their being new it's impossible to say just how many bullets have passed down the bores of how they were shot. It does mean that I will now have to use seperate brass for each of them and keep the segregated.

The Sporterised Swedish Mauser has the most work done with it and some years back I acquired a couple of boxes of Norma 77 Grn Soft Points and laster still a box of 77 Grn Jagdmatch FMJs. The SP's shot better than the FMJ's in my rifle. I also made up a brass stepped plug guage and found that all three of my 6.5's have 0.256" bores even though the crooves are more like 0.268"............................................ ...... yes even the brand new Steyr barrel has grooves of this diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    I was just sat here smiling to myself, wondering what the records are like for all your rifles Must be like a library

Good point though, and well made.

Simon.

Edit, I wonder what Muir and Gitano's reloading notes are like? Many and comprehensive do you think??

Sadly Simon,

My records are perhaps not as detailed as they perhaps should be. The loose leaf folder is now not such a good idea as it was originally so a re-think is in order