Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski - Scratched in Workshop?

Swarovski - Scratched in Workshop?

I have a bit of a dilemma.

My 7x42SLC's were sent back to Swarovski as the rubber housing was starting to come away. The bino's are about 14 years old and although used several time a week, are well looked after. When it comes to cleaning my optics I am soooo careful in using proper camera cleaning products and the condition of the lenses reflect this.

When I got them back Swarovski have done an incredible job, replaced the rubber housing from the original 2 piece to a new 1 piece, replaced an objective lens, although I can only assume this may have been down to a reason other than scratches as there were none, perhaps the coating starting to fail, I rellay don't know, replaced a focal piece of the mechanism, replaced the eye pieces from pull out to screw out, put on new rubber covers although the original were ok. It all cost me a tenner for postage!

However, on picking them up in the local shop I saw half a dozen marks on one of the lenses that I thought was perhaps a greasy smudge. When I got home I attempted to clean it off and realised it was scratches! Deep enough that when you run your fingernail over them you can actually feel them.

I cannot help wonder that this must have happened right before they were due to be sent back as if it had been noticed during the work it would surely have been replaced given all the above. I have an image of a young apprentice sitting there wiping them down before packaging and not realising there has been a very small sharp object on his cloth.

I feel bad about contacting them after the exemplary work however...

I now am wondering if it has been something I have overlooked and caused it myself prior to sending.
    Last edited by jamross65; 30-01-2011 at 13:48.

SD Regular
    Were they packed, wrapped, and un-opened when you collected them from the shop?

were they opened by the gun shop? Only ask as the last scope i sent to swarovski had the tiniest scratch - that i didnt even realise was there and they replaced it. Doesnt sound like there usual standards of work. Give them a ring because if it was there when you sent the binoculars in it would probably have been recorded on a work sheet.

No, the box had been opened I assume to remove the paperwork. The scratches however are of such a shape that it has been caused during wiping, same sweeping shape following the circular edge of the lens which was otherwise spotless. There would be no reason for the shop to wipe them.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I'd get intouch with Debbie and ask her what their position is........She is very approachable.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Hi Stu,
    Is that the Debbie that made the film about her trip to Dallas

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Hi Stu,
    Is that the Debbie that made the film about her trip to Dallas
    Naughty Man. I'd have expected better from you!
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    No, the box had been opened I assume to remove the paperwork. .
    Is it possible that someone in the shop removed them for a wee looky see, and gave the lens's a rub with his cloth.

Just a thaught, I understand you'll not be wanting to make any accusation's

Rgds. Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Could it be possible you got the wrong bins???????

jamrose
    i dropped my binos and cracked one of the lenses. could still see through them but thot id send them back and get them fixed. got them back from swar with a bill totalling 390. i about dropped the bloody things again when opening the bill lol