Scottish Game Fair - Scone

Dovebob

I'm after some advice from Members from north of the border.

I am involved in a business that produces hand made custom knives. We are a cottage industry - the knives are made in the garage. Last season we exhibited at the BASC Keepers Fair, which is very local for us, and at the CLA at Ragley Hall. The CLA was good for us but it is very expensive to exhibit.

We have been thinking about going to the Scottish show at Scone. The cost of exhibiting is relatively reasonable and the foot-fall sounds good, at about 30,000 over the three days. However, we've never been to this show so we don't know what its like.

Could anyone who is a regular give a view on whether custom knife makers exhibit at the show and whether you think our knives would go well there. It may be that several Scottish makers already exhibit and are the preferred maker of choice.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dovebob

Last edited:
If you are selling proper usable hunting knifes then i am sure the SCONE game fair will be a perfect place most og the standa are hunting related may be you could half a stand with a stick maker or similar.

Last edited:
even though i live in the midlands we attend scone most years and find it a very good show for the money most people there are country style people who know what they want and usually find it there . The show is not to big and you can have a good look round in one day theres not the usual crap you get at shows in england as to far to travel for those sort of people . I would give it a try if your products are of good quality at the right price you should do well in my humble opinion ATB MUDDY

I'm after some advice from Members from north of the border.

I am involved in a business that produces hand made custom knives. We are a cottage industry - the knives are made in the garage. Last season we exhibited at the BASC Keepers Fair, which is very local for us, and at the CLA at Ragley Hall. The CLA was good for us but it is very expensive to exhibit.

We have been thinking about going to the Scottish show at Scone. The cost of exhibiting is relatively reasonable and the foot-fall sounds good, at about 30,000 over the three days. However, we've never been to this show so we don't know what its like.

Could anyone who is a regular give a view on whether custom knife makers exhibit at the show and whether you think our knives would go well there. It may be that several Scottish makers already exhibit and are the preferred maker of choice.

If anyone wants to have a look at the sort of thing we do before offering advice I can attach a link to our website in a PM. However, I can't give anymore details in open forum as to do so would be advertising.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dovebob

And you are not now?

John

By the time you pay your fuel, hotel for 3 nights, pitch and staff if any you will need to charge a lot for a knife as most lads i know have the knife they want it may be a struggle as BASC have found out at thier show at Port of Menteith... now no more.

Aye, knife dealers licence will be required and costs around 200 quid I think. :eek:

Scone is a good show though and does pull the crowds. Just pray for sun, as when it rains punters stop spending and you may as well shup up shop from 3 pm if the wet stuff falls. :cry:

There isn't anyone selling any Custom knifes at the Scottish Game fair, however there are plenty of stalls selling knifes .

This may change due to Scottish legislation on selling knifes and showing them in a public place all worth a check first .

Other wise it could be a expensive white elephant .

Did you really think that it was a reasonable cost?

My mate had a stall there for 3 years selling fishing flies but as the pitch was so small to start with he has to take 2 to accommodate his display. As has already been pointed out, a lot of sales must be needed to break even but no doubt you will be up to speed with the your figures anyway.

Needless to say my mate no longer does it as there was also issues about where he was placed..... bottom of Fisherman's Row and someone selling dog baskets prime spot in middle of all that fishing tackle!!! Cracking venue given the weather though.

30,000 potential customers over three days. 4,433 potential customers for a tenner a month. I know which one I would plug, Jim

Got to agree with jimbo if i were you i spend 20 notes on here and see were that gets you not quite the cudos of Scone but it might be a beter pitch. LETS SEE WHAT YOU GOT.

By the time you pay your fuel, hotel for 3 nights, pitch and staff if any you will need to charge a lot for a knife as most lads i know have the knife they want it may be a struggle as BASC have found out at thier show at Port of Menteith... now no more.

I have noticed that you are a cheery soul. Eternal optimist eh..?

Back