Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunrise & sunset times!

Sunrise & sunset times!

I'm sure we all know that our legal shooting time limits are based around sunrise and sunset. So where do you get your timings from?
    The reason I ask is because like the tide times, they are regionally variable!
    The sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Therefore it gets light in the East earlier, and obviousl it gets darker earlier too! "So what"? I hear you cry!
    If you just google these times, or get them from a national source, chances are you will get them based on London.
    However, if you check them locally away from London (Latitudinally) they will differ.
    For instance, sunrise today at Lands end was 07:59, whereas in Felixstowe is was 07:37 which is 22 minutes before!
    The next question is, if you were accused of shooting outside of legal timings, which would they try and use to prosecute? That I can't answer but surely the most local time would be deemed proper?
    By using the London times, you could therefore be shooting illegaly locally too!

I get mine from 'Metcheck' here:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/...p?zipcode=ip26

This allows me to put in a postcode or location to try to get my timings as accurate and legal as possible.

Food for thought eh?
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 01-02-2011 at 13:24.

That must be what the FC do too!

It's a good one as it's not just east to west that makes a difference. South to north will make up to 30 minutes delay at similar longitudes, (west/east of meridian), but higher latitudes, (north of equator).

This one gives a graphic illustration of it - have a look at Newcastle compared to Exeter, although well to the east it's seven minutes behind sunrise time at the moment:

http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/sun/ukmap.php

The intervals are also not fixed and will vary as the earth tilts about it's axis during the yearly progression and the point the at which the sun rises and sets on the horizon moves north/south.

Also use this one for moon phases, although I've also got one of those 'widget' things on the laptop desktop that can be calibrated for anywhere on the planet.

http://www.dacre.net/moon/moonframe.html
    Last edited by Orion; 01-02-2011 at 10:05.

Account Suspended
    This is the one I use its the most accurate its down to seconds in the locality
    EarthTools - Find places, latitude/longitude, sunrise/sunset, elevation, local time and time zones
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 01-02-2011 at 10:22.

I use the metcheck site, BBC Weather also gives sunrise and sunset.

Realistically, even with a really good scope, you can only see enough to shoot at about 45 minutes before sunrise. Evenings are much the same unless it is very clear with good moonlight. There were night here last month you could have shot all night if it wasn't for the cold.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

if you have an iphone or blackberry then download both the moon phases and a sunset /rise app by daniel vincent they are 59p or they do a lite version for free,atb wayne ps both work off gps so you get an accurate time or moonphase for foxing

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    The next question is, if you were accused of shooting outside of legal timings, which would they try and use to prosecute?:???
    Only if they carried out a postmortem to establish the exact time of death, even then you could argue that you shot the beast earlier but it ran and you spent an hour looking for it in the dark.

Not that I'm condoning this in any way, but if you do.... hide your lamp in the bushes

"It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

In the morning when I get out the car I usually take a leak and if I cant see 'it', it means its too dark

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    In the morning when I get out the car I usually take a leak and if I cant see 'it', it means its too dark
    We really dont want to know you have a small dick and you cant see it we are only interested in sunrise and sunset buy a magnifying glass or binos but dont use them the wrong way around as it will look even smaller