Thread: An interesting Gentleman has left us.

May I also report the passing of John Whickam [`irishgun`] , one of natures true gentlemen and a man of the mountains.
    It was an honour to have known him.

AR DHEIS DE GO RAIBH A ANAM DILIS.

HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 01-02-2011 at 12:02. Reason: spelling error.

That is a great shame. I knew Malcolm Lyell through the museum that I curate. He visited many years back as Holland and Holland were about to embark on the new 600 double rifle, and as Major Powell - Cotton had one they visited here to take measurements. Unfortunatly the old boy sold this many years back but we still have his 400.

Following this initial visit Malcolm would from time to time drop by. On his last visit we discussed his trip to Bhutan and the Takin he had seen. One of the old gentlemen of the gun and firearms industry who was well like and admired.

My sympathies along with the SD site go to his family.

Sikamalc

Account Suspended
    Sad news!

Make you wonder if we are ever likely to see the likes of Malcolm Lyell again. The world in which he was raised and the society that allowed him to become the man that he was has gone.

We are all getting older

H, I did not know Wickham, but knew off him by reputation - which was very good.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    May I also report the passing of John Whickam [`irishgun`] , one of natures true gentlemen and a man of the mountains.

HWH.
    I spoke to him a couple of times. It seemed pretty clear, he took being ahead of the game quite seriously.

What stories Mr Lyell could have told.......

A very sad passing indeed. Some years ago the Salisbury Auctioneers, Woolley & Wallis disposed of all his sporting trophies. There were some very nice headmounts, including two species of Markor, Blue sheep, Many diferent Ibex trophies including two full mount Ibex by Rowland Ward. There were a great many antler trophies including antlers on a plaster frontal of Schomburgks Deer.

http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/spec...burgksdeer.htm

Lakey

HWH.
    H
    He will be sadly missed
    I followed a lot of his posts with great interest and will miss his pictures
    good night and god bless John

& also condolences to Malcolm Lyell's family

He left as quietly as he moved amongst us. God speed for the journey and my sympathies to his family.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

HWH.
    i spoke to john a few times over the last year and only back in november about a pup from his GWP!
    always had alot of time to help out novices like myself! he'll be sadly missed!
    RIP JOHN