Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleeding Deer - What is 'Best Practice'?

Bleeding Deer - What is 'Best Practice'?

Hi All,

When it comes to bleeding deer, what is best practice and how do members on here do the job.

My understanding is that chest shot deer rarely need bleeding out however head and neck shot deer should always be bled out?

Please can members clarify the recommended procedure in this?

Thanks a lot

Lakey

sixty two views and yet no replies. Someone must have some ideas, or is everyone that has viewed unsure themselves ?

I treat all my deer the same, knife into the chest at the base of the kneck until I'm sure I've entered the chest. Lift the hind legs or make sure the deer is lying down hill.
    I butchered a red stag last year that must have been left to cool before it was bled, if at all, shame, spoiled the venison.

All the animals I shoot get bleed as a matter of course irrespective of where they are shot, knife inserted at the base of the neck, make sure you have a good hole, if it is not suspended then put the carcass facing down hill to let the blood drain, pumping the chest can help get the blood out.

ATB

Tahr

+1 with Tahr
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I'll put the cat among the pigeons and say it makes no difference so long as you gralloch the animal as soon as you've shot it !!!

This was done to death back in September and turned into a right 'bag 'o' worms!!

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...=bleeding+deer

MS

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I'll put the cat among the pigeons and say it makes no difference so long as you gralloch the animal as soon as you've shot it !!!
    Agree with you mate, said same last time round

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    That would only be true for chest shot deer and ideally ones where the heart and/or major arteries are damaged. It most definetly makes a difference with neck or head shot deer. The other fact that people fail to realise is that by bleeding a beast you ensure for certain that it is dead! Most stalkers with a good few animals under their belt will have a story about a 'dead' deer that wasn't there when they went to collect it. JC

Bleeding an animal that has been shot and left for possibly 10 minutes(as most people don't just run up and stick the beast)wouldn't make a blind bit of difference! I do gralloch as soon as I get to the downed beast though.