Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notifiable diseases

Notifiable diseases

Hi guys
    Can you give me a definitive list of these please? I was under the impression these were i) bTB, ii) Anthrax, iii) Foot & Mouth, and iv) Bluetongue.

A look at the online best practice guidelines shows no mention of anthrax but does include EHD (Epizootic Haemorrhagic Disease) and CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease). Another resource mentions rabies etc...

Would be good to get confirmation of the definitive short list required for deer stalkers to be aware of.

Thanks!

Account Suspended
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 02-02-2011 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    I think you'll find that is the best practice guide he was refering to Stu!
    RTFQ!
    MS

Both are correct! The definitive list is the DEFRA one as notifiable diseases are those listed in the Animal Health Act.

dont forget WARBLES has been added to the list now as well

Indeed - these guidelines don't mention Anthrax (or warbles...) which confused me somewhat. Just prepping for my call with the DSC2 assessor so the 'last word' on this would be v much appreciated!

Account Suspended
    Its listed on the Defra notifiables

Quote Originally Posted by Boghossian View Post
    Indeed - these guidelines don't mention Anthrax (or warbles...) which confused me somewhat. Just prepping for my call with the DSC2 assessor so the 'last word' on this would be v much appreciated!
    Realistically you are not going to find Anthrax in a deer you have shot. It is a cause of sudden death. Occasional animals have been found with it living, but even some old vets who claim to have seen it have never saved a case! The disease process is rapid with high temperature, recumbancy and death in a few hours. So long as you don't eat or gut anything you find dead you'll be ok! It's not something you would find on routine carcass inspection!

You could find warble fly!

Apache- I agree that you are extremly unlikely to see Anthrax in a deer you have shot but to be aware of the disease is desirable. I maybe older than you but in cattle at anyrate the disease in a sub-acute form does not always kill. The affected animal looks like a pneumonia case and can recover. Treatment is simple penicillin. David

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Apache- I agree that you are extremly unlikely to see Anthrax in a deer you have shot but to be aware of the disease is desirable. I maybe older than you but in cattle at anyrate the disease in a sub-acute form does not always kill. The affected animal looks like a pneumonia case and can recover. Treatment is simple penicillin. David
    I should imagine as Apache is a vet he would be aware of any condition found in deer David

I think if I come across a deer that was suspect of Anthrax i would not go anywhere near it and if i had been within 10 yds of it I would seek medical help quickly

A recent case last year of A guy who made drums (Musical instruments) from hide who lived in Cumbria I think contracted it and died very very quickly
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 02-02-2011 at 17:42.