Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Italian hunting accident statistics

Italian hunting accident statistics

It is not just birds, rabbits and wild boar who meet a sticky end in the Italian hunting season.
    According to statistics published today, 35 people have also been killed in the past four months, and another 74 injured. Italy's anti-hunting league, the LAC, said all but one were hunters killed accidentally by their shooting companions.

Guardian article

Thats incredible - Andy i would never have believed you were a Guardian reader !

Account Suspended
    The Italian yearly hunting related accident and death figures have been around the 60-75 number for about 10 years. It just looks as if they have been particularly busy this season.

One of the problems they face is the average age of those hunting is getting older each year due to the firearm and hunters legislation people face putting off the younger Italians from getting started.

I found this an interesting closing comment. But perhaps not. It was the Guardian after all!

"Though politically influential, the hunting community is increasingly unpopular. A survey published by Eurispes, a research institute, found that that less than 18% of Italians regarded shooting as an acceptable pastime"

Established Poster
    Why on earth are their rates so high!? What are they doing differently from the rest of the world?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonT View Post
    Why on earth are their rates so high!? What are they doing differently from the rest of the world?
    Being Italian! Simples.

Much of the high number is directly related to how they collate the figures. You can trip over the cat on the way out of the house to go hunting and break an arm and its listed down as a hunting related accident. They get a few of the old boys fall over or have heart attacks on the hills and its still logged as a hunting related death. They do still manage to shoot a few people each year though. Last year they shot a guy who was out camping whilst he was asleep in his sleeping bag under some bushes. A couple of hunters mistook him for a sleeping boar and gave him both barrels.

Tuscany always tops the list as the more deadly region, mainly due to the fact that its not compulsory to wear HiVis clothing in that region.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thats incredible - Andy i would never have believed you were a Guardian reader !
    Haha, I left myself wide open to that I suppose.

The link was emailed to me by a Grauniad reader, I'm more of a Times man myself.

Do we know each other by the way?

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    Much of the high number is directly related to how they collate the figures.
    I figured there had to be something else to it. In the words of Aaron Lewenstein: "Statistics are like bikinis... what they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    ....................... less than 18% of Italians regarded shooting as an acceptable pastime.
    Really

What about the Cosa Nostra and Ndrangheta amongst others, were they included in that figure?

Quote Originally Posted by YukonT View Post
    ....shooting each other rather than the intended quarry????
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

If any of you have had Wi-fi's out at Woodcock or Hares you would understand that these statistics are very surprising.. I would expect the number to be double that!

Scary at best.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!