Italian hunting accident statistics

Unfortunately, a few are injured every year and there are deaths occasionally in the uk directly as a result of people being shot by accident.

at one point in my earlier days i dated an italian for a few weeks...it was a serious short term relationship during which i speant a couple of weeks in Perugia [lovely place!]. went walking in the woods on the start of the hunting season, it was only once we had laid down tired that she remembered it was the first day of the shooting season....within the hour we started to hear shots at a distance and got out of there. she stated that lots of people get shot as most of the shooting is driven shooting and any noise in the woods usually gets a rifle pointed at it...sometimes the trigger is even pulled before i.d. made.... she said that most non hunting italians just dont go into the woods when the season is on. she seemed to know what she was on about but it may have been propoganda....although she deffo was not a non meat eater!!;)

atb

:british:Stu

"By the way, didn't the British run away from Dunkirk 60 years ago? But what counts in life is reputation, not the truth. "

An interesting and thought provoking close to a very well written and amusing article.

Credit where credit is due. The Italians do have a very novel way of dealing with that now seemingly endless problem of illegal economic migrates from eastern europe. Here we give them houses and access to the welfare state at worst we place them in detention centres from which they promptly escape. In Italy the round theirs up en masse (most Albanian gypsies) beat them up and cart them back over the border with a dire warning of more of the same should they think of returning.

Last edited:
Hence the short relationship then;)

Do Italians have to undergo some sort of compulsory training before being granted a hunting permit?

Ciao Harry,
si certo! Ho passato la mia esame di caccia la Decembre 2009. la esame e quasi uguale da l'esame per cacciatore in Ingliterra la DSC1. (Roughly transalated in my very worst Italian:- Yes there certainly is. I passed my hunting exam in Italy in December 2009. the exam is similar to our DSC1.)
Unlike our DSC exam it covers all hunted species as well as how weather affects hunting. Hunting ethics and other related studies. The exam can only be completed once you have a doctors certificate of good mental health, a shooting test has been completed, and you have proof of insurance. Immediately after the exam you are interviewed by five judges on animal recognition, safety and security, hunting ethics, and first aid.

Great to see ones friends ripped into here. I guess none of you would accept an invite to shoot boar with me then?? Chas AKA GYR from this site had a great weekend up in the mountains of Liguria with me last November, and survived! :D just lucky I guess.

Mark

Ciao Harry,
si certo! Ho passato la mia esame di caccia la Decembre 2009. la esame e quasi uguale da l'esame per cacciatore in Ingliterra la DSC1. (Roughly transalated in my very worst Italian:- Yes there certainly is. I passed my hunting exam in Italy in December 2009. the exam is similar to our DSC1.)
Unlike our DSC exam it covers all hunted species as well as how weather affects hunting. Hunting ethics and other related studies. The exam can only be completed once you have a doctors certificate of good mental health, a shooting test has been completed, and you have proof of insurance. Immediately after the exam you are interviewed by five judges on animal recognition, safety and security, hunting ethics, and first aid.

Great to see ones friends ripped into here. I guess none of you would accept an invite to shoot boar with me then?? Chas AKA GYR from this site had a great weekend up in the mountains of Liguria with me last November, and survived! :D just lucky I guess.

Mark

Only if the beaters held a white flag in either hand then I was sure they didnt hold a weapon:D

Ciao Harry,

Mark

I love Italy and would accept an invitation to go hunt boar there!!! (my last 4 ex's were Italian):rolleyes:

ciao a tutti

Ciao Harry,

Mark

Ciao Mark. Not ripping into anybody apart from those in the "pro qualifications" camp.
If that's an invite to Itally by the way, thanks, and when do you want me?

This might take a little read but it gets there in the end when in Australians a good few years back I was invited to shot feral pigs goats donkeys and feral cattle by some people I was working with. I was working on a construction site and everybody I worked with went ,I think we were even subsidized by the company as the Forman was with us. all I needed to bring was myself good walking boots and contribute to the beer and ammo. This worked out to be several hundreds of dollars which I thought at the time was expensive but when I saw how much beer & bullets we had i could see why.

I am not tarnishing the Aussie's here just relaying a little story , I think we drove 8 odd hrs to the location I believe it was boarders of NSW/SA it was on some massive farm hundreds of thousands of acres into the bush. The terrain was low scrub foil age with quite good grass there were quite a few dams & water holes plenty of trees with and these would be surrounded by thicker cover ,there were also numerous areas of thick heavy foilage , this was all set on ground that had small valleys and little hills that rolled as far as you could see , it was alive with feral and wild game

We set up camp, the Aussie's are very professional in doing this there was a proper toilet area,solar shower area , massive BBQ/cooking area proper big old tents with good comfortable camp beds , small generator to run the fridges to keep the beer cool it was a real eye opener, we had a pack of "pig dogs" these seem to be very big strong aggressive dogs no real bread just big and tough.

the farmer came to the camp and old friendships were renewed with the shooting party ,the farmer then gave us more beer he thanked us again for coming to his farm to cull the feral animals and left.

There was 12 of us in the shooting party with a mix of ability's when I say a mix of abilities what I mean is I was the novice and I was surrounded by 11 "experts" , we had a multitude of weapons ranging from old bolt Enfields ,standard bolt rifles ,pump rifles ,pump shotguns one AK 47 one mini 14 assault rifles

We shot day and night , we shot from the back of Ute's (4 x 4) ambushed at water holes/dams (plenty of yabbies) general walk up in small groups walk up all 12 of us and flushing with the dogs onto a line of guns.

The protocol was everything was to be shot, the farm was mainly a cattle ranch as all the cattle had been rounded up and everything else is either eating the grass the cattle should be eating or has gone feral and will then encourage the other cattle to go feral.

I had a great time and shot mostly with a couple of Kiwi's they were great shots and very experienced. there are dozens of stories to be told about the weeks shooting but the one that relates to the threads title is this one.

Most of the week everybody talked about shooting this valley as they always get great success , all the other days shooting during the week has been to almost push the animals towards this valley area , almost like "dogging in birds "

this area had a couple of dams plenty of water holes and some good cover . I was really looking forward to this shoot as everybody kept saying how good it was. This early mornings shoot was going to be a sort of driven day with myself the two Kiwi's and three others using the "pig dogs" to flush everything to a line of guns that were stood in the flat bed of the Ute's.

They were positioned in a sort of valley that the game would funnel towards , there were two blokes per Ute shooting L&R and the gap between Ute's was about 300m. The beaters (6 of us) were on foot with a pair at least of dogs each and about 300m apart and as we got to the valley we the beater got closer together as we funneled in. At the start of this shoot we were about a 2--2.5km from the guns

The " rules" of the day were blokes in Ute's (all with rifles)shoot everything gone passed them and only shoot forward if its close to the Ute or "a safe shot" . Us the beaters if you have a shotgun you can shoot forward if rifle the same as shooters. I had 5 shot pump rifle in 30-06 . The "pig dogs" were kited out in very vicious spiked collars and a leather type waist coat to protect the soft belly area from the pigs tusks.

I put on the loudest,brightest T-shirt ,I had bandoliers of ammo and off we went we had shot a lot that week but the shear number of animal being flushed was amazing there were stacks of goats and load & loads of pigs it was crazy shooting some times i was shooting off my 5 shots reloading then straight away shooting these off straight away , thank god for the dogs as when a big pig would be flushed some times they would run straight then turn and come straight at you the dogs intercepted these and you had to dispatch at almost point blank range.

as we got to about 1.5km from the guns they were getting game coming through and you could hear the rifles firing almost constantly , every now and then you would here the Mini 14 & AK 47 let rip in auto and semi which is imperssive & frightening. what i didn't know was the Mini 14 & AK 47 were in the same Ute and had bet each other some quite large sum of money as to who would shoot the most animals that day.

As the beater went into the funnel of the valley the guns on the Ute's were really letting rip as the game was coming thick and fast to them ,we closed on the Ute's to about 300 m and as beaters we were 50 apart . We came to a small stream/creek and the cover was very dense and would hold a lot of game, as me and the two Kiwi's entered with the dogs we started to flush lots of animals as we came out of the cover we flushed a huge pile of pigs there must have been 30 plus of them all running together in a group all heading for this one Ute.

Now this is where it all comes together. The construction industry in Australia is mostly manned by either Irish or Italian apart from the Kiwi's we were the only non Italian in the group they all had CF rifles and two of them had full auto assault rifles and had been re-hydrating on VB since early doors . The two Italian Aussie's who were very competitive had a large wager on the largest bag and were close on the scores , all of a sudden in front of them two were a group of 30 odd pig which could tip the balance all running at them.

The two Italian Aussie's VB fueled both at seeing the group of pigs stimulatingly raised the Mini 14 & AK 47, me and the two Kiwi's were directly behind the pigs as we could see them level their guns at the group they were 200m away from us all i saw was Kiwi 1 dive headlong into the creek bed followed by kiwi 2 i quickly realised what was happening and also took cover in the creek bed thist gave us 3 ft of cover . The next thing i remember all hell breaking loose around us with bullets flying everywhere the noise was terrifiying as the bullets were thumping all around us . i remember the AK noise the most it was massive loud thumps , i know it was reloaded twice during the last pig flush. There were pigs running up the creek past us some still jumping over the creek running towards the guns.

It felt like an age but must of been a couple of minutes before there were call from the guns to come out I waited until the Kiwi's got up first and advanced at the guns I was in total shock I was shaking and almost pi**ed my pants, the Kiwi's were laughing their heads off as were the rest of the guns. The two assault welding Italian Aussie were in full blown toe to toe argument as to who had shot the most pig.

I sat on the back of a Ute and the first two beers did not touch the sides as I composed my self for some time as we recovered what was shot for disposal . I cant remember to this day which one of them won the bet but I learnt a valuable lesson that day "be on the truck with the Italian guy who has an assault rifle not in front of him"

I thought I would share with you this little tale

"I guess none of you would accept an invite to shoot boar with me then??"

There then appeared to be a quick about turn then Mark. :D Quicker than the sterotypical Italians changing sides in a war. :stir:

Apparently they did that during the war as well they were also brilliant at jesticulating a white flag

If anyone comes across a first edition of Italian Book of War Heroes buy it its worth a great deal of money

The more i read, the more i realise why the Brits are called 'The small people' ! :lol: Is that thier vision, mind or due to lack of nourismant...Hmmmm :confused:

The more i read, the more i realise why the Brits are called 'The small people' ! :lol: Is that thier vision, mind or due to lack of nourismant...Hmmmm :confused:

I think its because the italians look through the wrong end of the binos whilst waving the white flag isnt it?:D
I think they was taught at an early age to use them like that so that they might not get too scared looking at the whites of the eyes of their enemy which only encourages quicker jesticulations

Last edited:
What did the xenophobes win? Not a free trip to hunt in Italy for sure. History is written by the victors regardless of fact. Tell the Italians who's Grandparents were lined up and shot by the Germans how cowardly they were. Shot for supporting the local partisans who were the equivalent of the French resistance. Hindering the Germans at every turn and helping smuggle English soldiers back to their own lines or out of the war zone. The government of the time decided to side with Hitler. Calling all Italians cowards is much like calling all Englishmen Conservatives simply because we happen to have a Conservative PM at the moment.

Joe, your invite is in your inbox. Not a fan of empty promises, sorry it took so long to get back to this thread.

Mark

Seems like the xenophobes won this one!!!

And no invitations were forthcoming..:(

Back