bleaching heads

the laird

Hi Guys,
hopefully someone will be able to help ? I would like to know if when you boil out a skull is it possible to bleach it after it's been left for a year or so or must it be done immediately after cleaning regards Tam

Yes you can still bleach it , it may take longer though !!! you should bleach it straight after boiling really for future reff

thanks for the reply 375 mag .Would you advise soaking it in warm water first, as i know you can use this method for re cutting once it's been dried out . many thanks Tam

Hello Tam

I'd prob just try it dry put it straight into a bowl lay cotton wool or kitchen towel over the skull and add hydrogeon peroxide keep soaking the kitchen towel with the solution until you get the desired result keep an eye on it though because if its an old dry skull it will soak up a lot of solution if your not carefull it will eat into the skull over time !!!

Nigel

I use hydrogeon peroxide from the chemist its about 3% strength and i leave it soaking for two days straight after boiling usually as i say you may need to do this for longer just see how you go!!!

Nigel

Thanks again Nigel .that's the way i do them now. i found a few older ones in the shed and thought they would look abit better with a spring clean hence the reason for the question once again many thanks for the advice.regards Tam

Some will hold their hands up in horror at this but, matt brilliant white emulsion is a good thing to put on old skulls that were not prepared correctly in the first place. JC

Some will hold their hands up in horror at this but, matt brilliant white emulsion is a good thing to put on old skulls that were not prepared correctly in the first place. JC
When there's no return why not :)
I have done some matt black before, even pewter, and gold. The black on no shield hung on a light wall can look pretty impressive imo :cool:

When there's no return why not :)
I have done some matt black before, even pewter, and gold. The black on no shield hung on a light wall can look pretty impressive imo :cool:

Hi Claire, as a result of your post I took a look at your website, very impressive. I like the advice on how to cape properly. I might consider having a fallow buck shoulder mounted but would probably wait until next August / Sept for a nice summer cape, could you please give me an idea of the cost? Thanks, JC

Back