Getting set up

devonoak

As I've said before in this section, I'm a new 7/08 user and the guy who sold me the rifle very kindly chucked in a set of Lee dies and some brass- so I've found myself a second hand Lee classic 4 hole press. So now I need- a book. A way of putting powder in. Some primers powder and bullets. Some case lube. My father still has my grandfathers reloading gear so I can loan the beam scale to check measures and I should be away. I'm posting all this to keep you kind people updated as its partly due to the wealth of support and (not always agreeing) info that you've all given me so far which has helped me in this direction.

So now, who's going to be the first to pitch in? Which book, powder, primers etc??
Please bear in mind that I'm not rich and want this to be a money saving operation. So I don't neccessarily want the best hottest etc , just loads I can use for the shooting I do- ie 140 grain expanding ammunition. Don't know anything about why boat tails round nose bts or whatever. I just use soft point when I buy it from the shops and it works fine!

Thanks in advance
Tom

Tom,

I'm not far up the road from you in Tiverton. So far as the equipment is concerned and before you put your hand in your pocket to buy any of the things on your wish list, why not take a trip up here and you can borrow all those that I have and give them a try out. I've got enough ammo loaded at the moment to not miss anything for a month. Give me a pm.

BTW: I'll bow to the knowledge of others when it comes to the 7-08 but I think you'd be advised to stick to a combination of whatever bullet, powder, primer is consistantly available locally. Nothing worse than working up a load and then finding you can't get one of the components!

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
I bought the Lee second edition, very good book with lots of info.
I would take up Orion on his kind offer.
Cheers
Richard

Ok here is my two pennies worth:-

As for bullets you will have to decide on the weight you wish to use then see what you can get easily locally. Now you mention 140 grn............................. in my 7x57 I use the Hornady 139 Grn to good effect, Speer make 140's as doo Sierra and Nosler of course in American blends but as I say it will depend a lot on what you can get easily.

Primers likewise see what you can get as a regular supply

A good reloading manual is always worth having, several are better but for your load dats you have internet acess so you can look up the powder or bullet makers sites and get it from the horse mouth so to speak.

I would get a hand primer rather than using the press and there are several available.

Devon,

I am new to reloading also. I have three books - the Second Lee book, mentioned above, the 8th (latest) Edition of the Hornaday one and the 6th (latest) Nosler one.

They all have their merits and also drawbacks.

The Lee one is an interesting read and covers alot of ground. It does read like an advert for Lee equipment, but that is probably inevitable. The illustrations are a bit old fashioned. The Hornaday one has some good illustations and I like the way in which the load data is laid out. However, neither it (nor the Nosler) includes data for other manufacturers bullets.

The Nosler one is a good read, well structured and well illustrated. However, it only covers Nosler bullets.

If you plan to use Nosler bullets or are happy to use load data from elsewher then the Nosler is a good choice.

If you choose to buy the Nosler or Hornaday one I suggest you also read (if not buy) the Lee. It lacks illustrations and structure (in my opinion) but Lee has an interesting and sometimes alternative take on reloading. He seeks to dispel alot of myths.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:
Brilliant- thanks very much all of you.

Brit- the 139grn Hornady that you speak of- are they standard soft point bullets or something fancy? Also why a hand primer, not the press? Just easier or better, or what?

Orion. Thanks , what a kind offer- I will be in touch.

DDS - I'll catch up with you one of these days!

and Dovebob- interesting points you make. Not sure I can handle three books at once- so I may start with Lee the myth dispeller. As BH says I can score individual load data off the net.

As an aside BH, how do you ever get a decent backstop in Boston? I was up there last year ( and really enjoyed myself btw) we picked up a wrecker from Dave Cosby but BLIMEY it's flat!!

Last edited:
and Dovebob- interesting points you make. Not sure I can handle three books at once- so I may start with Lee the myth dispeller. As BH says I can score individual load data off the net.

Tom, forgot to mention that I have one of the two volume Hornady reloading sets - not the latest edition but it has the relevant reloading/ballistic info and includes some loads for the 7-08 - you can borrow that as well to have a gander at.

As an aside BH, how do you ever get a decent backstop in Boston? I was up there last year ( and really enjoyed myself btw) we picked up a wrecker from Dave Cosby but BLIMEY it's flat!!
Ever shot on one of the military ranges at Pirbright? They have no backstop as everyone shoots into a central danger area! Very disconcerting when you shoot the standard BDS roebuck target with nothing behind it except the horizon! IIRC the only time we were told that they clear nearby ranges was when anti-tank missiles were being fired. :eek:

Brilliant- thanks very much all of you.

Brit- the 139grn Hornady that you speak of- are they standard soft point bullets or something fancy? Also why a hand primer, not the press? Just easier or better, or what?

Firstly the Hornady 139 grn BTSP is a std Inter Lock, nothing fancy really but they do work in my experience.

Secondly the hand primer has a tray which you can use to flip the primers the right way up without touching them then as you seat the primer you can feel it seat the primer in it's pocket. Something that is very hard to do using the press due to it's linkage.

Thirdly as for a backstop we live by the hill so I use the hill out back ;) of course a pile of straw bales backed with a sheet of steel and a wooden door helps too. I must replace the straw this summer and probably build a proper backstop for my testing.

As I've said before in this section, I'm a new 7/08 user and the guy who sold me the rifle very kindly chucked in a set of Lee dies and some brass- so I've found myself a second hand Lee classic 4 hole press. So now I need- a book. A way of putting powder in. Some primers powder and bullets. Some case lube. My father still has my grandfathers reloading gear so I can loan the beam scale to check measures and I should be away. I'm posting all this to keep you kind people updated as its partly due to the wealth of support and (not always agreeing) info that you've all given me so far which has helped me in this direction.

So now, who's going to be the first to pitch in? Which book, powder, primers etc??
Please bear in mind that I'm not rich and want this to be a money saving operation. So I don't neccessarily want the best hottest etc , just loads I can use for the shooting I do- ie 140 grain expanding ammunition. Don't know anything about why boat tails round nose bts or whatever. I just use soft point when I buy it from the shops and it works fine!

Thanks in advance
Tom

tom send me your address and i will send you a set of lee scales and a funnel foc if that would help.

regards
chris

tom send me your address and i will send you a set of lee scales and a funnel foc if that would help.

regards
chris
Chris that is a very kind offer- but I've got to go over and ransack my grandfathers reloading gear from my fathers loft. I have a funnel and I'm hoping to find scales and dippers there which should do me for the meantime. Thanks again.

Brit- the btsp looks just about what I'm after. Having read many of your posts I'd guess that they're reasonable value for money. Both the Heym 7/08 and the .243 performed reasonably well today with PRVI factory ammo which I must admit is value for money.

Brit- the btsp looks just about what I'm after. Having read many of your posts I'd guess that they're reasonable value for money. Both the Heym 7/08 and the .243 performed reasonably well today with PRVI factory ammo which I must admit is value for money.

Ahhh do I come across as tight then? I am not sure how much they cost now as I brought a fairly large quantity some years back. it was either 700 or 900. Cannot recall now but the last box with a price on has £19:25 on it.

I too use those hornady 139gn bullets. A box of 100 is about £25 to £30 if memory serves me correctly. I was in the same position as you this time 18 months ago. It is actually pretty straightforward and doesnt take long to get something shooting reasonably well.

Hi im in the same situation just got a 7/08 and a friend at work helped me set up at work, now trying to work up a good load im at 40.5 - 40.8 - 41.1 grn varget with federal match primers and ferdeal brass going to try the loads out tomorrow ... Oh pm sent devon.

j

Ahhh do I come across as tight then? I am not sure how much they cost now as I brought a fairly large quantity some years back. it was either 700 or 900. Cannot recall now but the last box with a price on has £19:25 on it.

Not tight exactly Brit- but let's say- aware of the relative costs of things. Careful even. Not a bad quality I hasten to add.

Been out this afternoon testing a number of loads (7mm 08) this is the best group with 41.1 gr of varget View attachment 4985 i dont think its to bad for a first attempt at the old reloading.

Been out this afternoon testing a number of loads (7mm 08) this is the best group with 41.1 gr of varget View attachment 4985 i dont think its to bad for a first attempt at the old reloading.

Cant open your attachment Luder but that info turned up today. Many thanks for that. I'd be interested to see your target.... but I can't.

lol lets try again ...
IMAG0056.jpg
hope this works im now trying to tighten the group by adding 1grn at a time i think thats how it works we will see

johnnie

Luder,

With that Hornady Bullet in "MY" rifle a 7x57 the grouping proved to be better with the bullet seated so the cannulure was just out of the case neck. Seated further out and closer to the leade grouping was not so good. Nope I don'r understand why either but that's what happened. The 139 Grn Flat based bullet likes to be seated further out :confused:. Just thought I would mention it but you on the right track with under 1/2" already.

Nice going.

Back