Leupold vs Zeiss

HoyBoy

I have just been offered a Leupold 6.5-20x40 varmint reticle or a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 rapid-Z reticle. Both scopes are brand new and would be coming from the USA both at the same price. It would be going on a .223 mostly shooting vermin at 150-400yards. Which one would you guys choose?

You will have to decide whether the extra magnification of the Leupold is necesarry, but personally I'd choose the Zeiss, thinking about resale value as much as anything.

Are they both the same tube size?

willie_gunn

Difficult to say. Given the long ranges I'd maybe go for the bigger magnification. Certainly the lower end of the Zeiss isn't going to be much used by you?

I would check warranty issues with the Zeiss. I hear that the American made Zeiss products don't have warranty support here in Europe? (They have to go back to USA).

I do know that Leupold absolutely stand by their product with their warranty. Even if you might also have to send it back to US.

Just a query. Is there such a price difference that it isn't cheaper to source in the UK?

I had a Leupold 6.5-20x50 and it was a very good scope. Haven't had a Zeiss Conquest. Don't forget that if it arrives by post, you will likely get done for duty and VAT, plus a parcelforce handling fee.

Last edited:
Hi, im not sure on tube size but im not worried about it because i'l be buying new mounts anyway. The guy selling them says he would mark it as a gift and put a lower value on it to avoid customs charges. He's quoting $840 including shipping (around £520), not sure if a better deal can be had here? Also which would have the best light gathering properties? I somtimes shoot in low light conditions. Cheers

I've heard of leupold reticles coming loose, and repairs would therefore be a pain. My family have shot Zeiss for over 45 years, and never have I heard of any of the scopes needing repairs. From my experience using Zeiss lately, I can say that I have been very very very impressed with the quality and clarity, even in comparison to S&B..

I think I shall be continueing the Zeiss tradition in my family too, just need the cash!

Having used Leupold scopes on many of the rifles I have over a considerable number of years, I have never had one problem with any that I have purchased and owned. In fact having taken them to Africa and Finland they have been at two extremes of temperature range, and again never had a problem. However whilst in Africa I have seen both swarovski and Zeiss scopes go wrong. Not that I am saying they are bad scopes, indeed they are very good, but it appeared at the time that they did not like the fine african dust which can get into everything.

I had an American friend living in the UK who had a minor problem with a Leupold scope some years back. He returned it to the states and it was reurned fixed free of charge. All Leoupold scopes carry a lifetime guarantee.

Sikamalc

Last edited:
Hi, im not sure on tube size but im not worried about it because i'l be buying new mounts anyway. The guy selling them says he would mark it as a gift and put a lower value on it to avoid customs charges. He's quoting $840 including shipping (around £520), not sure if a better deal can be had here? Also which would have the best light gathering properties? I somtimes shoot in low light conditions. Cheers

Here is cheaper.

ZEISS 4.5-14 X 44 AO MC CONQUEST Z PLEX RET 5214309920 - eBay (item 380304660568 end time Mar-04-11 10:44:02 PST)

I bought mine from this guy some time ago. Mine was 4.5-14x50 with #4 reticule as is good at low light. I dont like too fine reticules.

Greg

I have that exact scope. I really like it. I particularly like the reticule especially for the longer range stuff. as I am not a turret twiddler
I originally though the 40mm objective was going to limit the light gathering capacity but it is very clear even in relatively low light situations.

think the simple answer is they are both good scopes and a lot will come down to personal preference.
I have used zeiss as well and the quality is still very high.

I can see this scope on the web for around the 590-600 mark which is strange as I bought mine a while ago and it was £555 IIRC.

either way if you get away with less that £40-50 in taxes you will be lucky. If he is marking it down to say $200 value on the customs ticket that is all it is insured for. The HMRC will charge you VAT - 20% on £160 is going to be £32 on that straight away plus whatever "admin" charge the shisters handling it will hit you with. may not be a million miles away from the UK price after all that

The guy selling them says he would mark it as a gift and put a lower value on it to avoid customs charges.

Two problems first it is dishonest and, holding an FAC, I would advise you against anything like this. Second, as said, that is all that it will be insured for.

and 3rd it will make no difference at all as even if it is a gift if the value is over £36 then it will be taxed in full anyway!
UK Imports - importing Gifts and presents - Value limit before paying Duty and VAT explained

I wouldnt want my £500 scope insured for £36 to save £50. And if I was the retailer I wouldnt want to send it as such unless I had no intention of refunding the cash if it is damaged or worse lost!
Anything I sell on eBay is shipped with full insurance, if it goes pear shaped, the buyer gets a refund and I get the insurance, they pay for after all......

go for the zeiss conquest mate. great in low light but be careful what rectical you get i think the rapid z rectical is to busy imo. and not something i would like to use in low light or under the lamp.

i had the no 4 rectical on a conquest and it was very good but to thick for long range work your find it covers the target so your find it hard to see. the best rectical they do imo is the z plex otherwise called the 20 rectical.

its thin enough not to cover target at distance but also thick enough not to lose it under the lamp.

as for the warrenty they will take them back. one of my mates had his zeiss conquest go wrong. he sent it off to zeiss uk and they sent it back to the usa. it will be fixed free of charge

i have had both scopes,i sold my zeiss and bought a s&b zenith flash dot, because i wanted ir rec,on my 6.5 rifle,i am currently selling my luepold 6.5-20x40,( dot rec) which is on my 223,as again wont a ir rec scope,both scopes zeiss & leupold are great scopes,i think the zeiss is the slighly better scope,

ps pick your rec to suit your personal needs,ie lamping/stalking or longrange stuff,as the one i had in the zeiss a4rec i think was a bit to thick for long range stuff,but great for stalking

Back