Ghillie Suits

scooby565

Do many members of the SD own or use a Ghlillie suit? The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I invested many hours making one and with good results too. I wore it out a few times during July/August in an attempt to get close to the Roe rut. I was lucky on several outings and will never forget my expriences.
What is the general opinion of these 3D suits?? Are they a bit over the top? and could you actually give somebody a heart attack if they were to suddenly see you? My wife used to say to me "You're either gonna frighten someone to death or get yourself arrested if you get caught wearing that" Like I was stalking people or something!!??;)

So, are they worth it or just a hassle?

All the best

Paul

I have enough trouble getting my moleskins snagged on wire and brambles without having loose bits of hessian (or the modern equivalent) hanging off me. I do wear a face veil sometimes, which works well, but even that causes the odd raised eyebrow. Maybe a ghillie suit is a bit more useful if you're ambushing rabbits at close range with an air rifle?

Good point - well made, it would probably be a lot cheaper! I wouldn't wear one myself (ghillie suit, that is), but someone must buy them...I'm just not sure who....:confused:

Last edited:
I could only see the attraction if I was static for a day, that aint going to happen, you can not move without letting the world know about it. if you were stalking in force 10 winds, you might get away with it. As has been said, you can't cross an obsticle in it, they are not designed for movement. If you need to be static for a period of time, get a popup hide or place a highseat and be comfy.

TJ

Head & shoulder Ghillie, with just enough to cover the larger part of the rifle & scope, & any other bits & bobs, bino's etc, only when in an awkward situation when after a troublesome chicken chomper.

I do own one, but it was originally bought for my paintballing days! I do use it thru the summer months for ambushing rabbits sometimes tho, certainly works well! Only downside is that you get snagged on everything unless your in grass!
atb James

Hi,
Our son Seb went mad for one for Christmas, ordered it at the end of November and it arrived 2nd week Jan, apparently the entire country had sold out due to xbox game.

Anyway, he went out in it and what problems he had! Getting snagged on trees etc (and overheating!)

He has decided to wait for dry weather then he can crawl round fields instead.

He looks like a strange yeti in it though :)

Michelle

Oh dear..... why not just dress up as a big rabbit?

Quality, Red Dot

For all that have interest in wearing a gillie suit this is the web site that you need .
British Army Website
There looking for a few good willing people .

Stalking is just what is says on the packet stalking, your pitching your abilities against animals with excellent senses of everything ,luging about a load of stinking hessan scrim just wouldn't cut the mustard .

Let's get back on to the real deal rifle ,ammo ,boots clothing, knife, sticks ,optics, job enough for the biggest quarry species.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I will be wearing it for stalking. It did, I suppose, have it's advantages for photography if I was just lying up waiting.
I couldn't be doing with getting snagged up all the time.

Cheers

Paul

Did someone say ghillie suit? Is there a sniper on your patch? :rofl:
Do use head and shoulders scrim net for woodies in July (Timotei for rabbits..) but nothing else, for all of the reasons previously given. Your wife is a wise lady. ;)

Back