Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 bore 3" mag cartridges

20 bore 3" mag cartridges

I've been using 2-1/2 cartridges and am almost out, I've tried sourcing "mags" but they seem to be a bit like hens teeth around here, anyone know where I might obtain some from....callie

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    I've been using 2-1/2 cartridges and am almost out, I've tried sourcing "mags" but they seem to be a bit like hens teeth around here, anyone know where I might obtain some from....callie
    Why do you want such carts???

Callie, try these folks if you can get a group order together http://www.justcartridges.com/pricelists.html

These folks might know of a stockist locally, http://www.lyalvaleexpress.com/UK/index.htm as they are based near Lichfield.

Having used a 20 for some years, I cannot understand why you want to use magnums from a leightweight 20, unless you are wanting to shoot duck? If you are then reloading is the way forward.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Simon, Stone,:-I use the 20 mainly for pigeon shooting but of late I seem to be hitting birds, feathers every where but they just jink and fly on and I hate leaving pricked birds, I use 5s and 6s and just thought that using mags my stop this pricking and deck them....callie

Callie

Magnums won't stop this happening, it will probably added to the confusion

by all means change to a different cart choice and if these pigeons are a little on the high side then I think a bit more lead will cure this also

often people use a cheaper cart for pigeons which is where the trouble lies , as the cheaper cart may not often pattern the same as some of the more expensive known brands so consequence of this is pricked and missed birds which they normally would kill

I use RC T3's in 1 ounce 6's and I can assure you they work on the highest birds you would think about pulling at
    they also in my mind out perform the RC semi-magnum 32g 5's I often use

or another alternate is Eley VIP 30g 6's a great pigeon/pheasant cart
    50-60 yard pigeons are very killable just you need to put the pattern infront of the bird so they fly into it
    sort of a head shooting technique as body shooting produces the runners as such

I like RC carts and rate them highly as they hav served me well over the years in the 20g
    ATB

SD Regular
    Pattern always fails before penetration that is fact. As you have discovered!

Now you standard 2 3/4" load in a 20 bore is 28 grams. That is 198 No 5 or 252 No 7.

If you "up the ante" and go to a heavier "magnum" 20 bore in 5s or 6s with a 34 grams load you increase your payload to....226 No 5 and 288 No 6. Not much at all and in the way of things with a longer shot column you won't actually gain much.

Also you ability to get in a second shot will not be as easy!

My advice?

Use a standard 2 3/4" load with 28 grams of No 7. Hull Cartridge produce one with a fibre wad. That will give you over 340 pellets (Hull say 360 in theirs as they use harder 3% antimony) and a pattern that will virtually guarantee that a vital, killing or disabling spot, is hit.

There might be those who would say that 6s are about the biggest shot one might use for pigeons. I've always used 1oz of 7s in my 12bore for them.
    Small load + big shot = sparse pattern
    Sparse pattern + small bird = miss or wound

Therefore, perhaps stick to a standard load but buy 7s and keep the range sensible.
    Last edited by Dalua; 03-02-2011 at 23:02.

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Callie

Magnums won't stop this happening, it will probably added to the confusion

by all means change to a different cart choice and if these pigeons are a little on the high side then I think a bit more lead will cure this also

often people use a cheaper cart for pigeons which is where the trouble lies , as the cheaper cart may not often pattern the same as some of the more expensive known brands so consequence of this is pricked and missed birds which they normally would kill

I use RC T3's in 1 ounce 6's and I can assure you they work on the highest birds you would think about pulling at
    they also in my mind out perform the RC semi-magnum 32g 5's I often use

or another alternate is Eley VIP 30g 6's a great pigeon/pheasant cart
    50-60 yard pigeons are very killable just you need to put the pattern infront of the bird so they fly into it
    sort of a head shooting technique as body shooting produces the runners as such

I like RC carts and rate them highly as they hav served me well over the years in the 20g
    ATB
    i'd go along with that, having shot a 20ga for 38yrs But i do reload 3" Steel 2's for Geese

Thanks for the info folks, it seems that a better quality cartridge is the answer, a 2-3/4 than a 2-1/2, they are most likely cheaper than magnums, I had been using garlands own game but we won't go into that, yet again it seems that they're a letdown, fortunately there's a gunshop just up the road that has recently been granted they're RFD (airsoft and air rifles is they're mainstay) and as far as I can remember Eley is they're main supplier so I'll start with those and see how I get on. Cheers chaps....callie

Try saga 28g 6's they are all i use in my 20 for pheasent and pigeon . 55 quid for 250 last time i got some which as just before christmas , pobs gone up now mind you due to VAT.