Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothing for South Africa trip

Clothing for South Africa trip

Hi All,
    Bit confused on what to take or buy clothing wise for my trip to SA begining of April.
    My friend has arranged a 4 day hunt, but tells me the temperature could be around 35C.
    He tells me that we probably will encounter very thorny bushes, but at the same time i'm thinking what could i wear to shield me from the thorns and not over heat.
    Anyone on here been?
    Any suggestions?
    Many thanks
    Richard

Hi Richard,

Thorns are a problem. It boils down to whether you mind being scratched ? If you don't mind, then wear shorts and soem light weight gaiters to stop grass seeds and thorns from getting into your hunting boots. Otherwise light weight longs and shirts with roll down sleeves + a good hat and v comfortable lightweight boots and good socks to avoid bruised feet. Green or brown clothing, NO light khaki. It can be seen for miles !

Most often you will be stalking very slowly, so you can pick your way through thorns and disentangle yourself. 'The Wait a bit' thorns are the real buggers, DON'T try to rip yourself free from them ! Be v careful in the back of vehicles as well when driving from A to B. Sunglasses, good eye drops, antisptic spray or cream to use on your punctures after a shower.

Don't take much. All the camps I use do laundry on a daily basis and there is no need for lots of clothes.

Binos, Torch, glasses / lens cleaning kit and a camera with a 75 to 300 mm lens .

Let me know how you get on !

Have fun

Tony

I'm no expert only having been once - but I'd take less next time!

- lightweight long trousers in green/brown
    - long-sleeved shirts (you can always roll sleeves up, but long sleevs can help protect your arms from sunburn): green/brown
    - a chuckover fleece/thin jumper
    - a lightweight chuckover waterproof
    - one hat with a brim (protects tops of ears/back of neck from the sun), one cap (in case it's too windy for the brimmed one!)
    - a boot/sock combo that you know isn't going to give you any blisters
    - decent binoculars
    - sunglasses and suncream....not too work on your tan, to stop you turning bright pink!!
    - insect repellent & antiseptic spray/cream
    AND DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!!!!

Have fun, let us know how you get on!

ATB,

Merlin
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

hi
    wear decent broken in boots for your trip, nothing like blisters on a hunt

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    I'm no expert only having been once - but I'd take less next time!

- lightweight long trousers in green/brown
    - long-sleeved shirts (you can always roll sleeves up, but long sleevs can help protect your arms from sunburn): green/brown
    - a chuckover fleece/thin jumper
    - a lightweight chuckover waterproof
    - one hat with a brim (protects tops of ears/back of neck from the sun), one cap (in case it's too windy for the brimmed one!)
    - a boot/sock combo that you know isn't going to give you any blisters
    - decent binoculars
    - sunglasses and suncream....not too work on your tan, to stop you turning bright pink!!
    - insect repellent & antiseptic spray/cream
    AND DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!!!!

Have fun, let us know how you get on!

ATB,

Merlin
    Good Advice from Merlin,

It may be quite hot during day but you are most at risk from sunburn. Long sleeved shirt and trousers are a good idea. Cools down considerably in the evenings once the sun is down and you are travelling back to camp on back of truck. Thats when you need a wind cheater and/or fleece.

Also take your binos and essentials on the plane as cabin luggage. Lost luggage/theft is a problem in Africa and SA, particularly Joburg. Get it shrink wrapped when you leave too. they have the machines to do this at checkin.

Happy huntin
    cheers
    50/50

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Hi All,
    Bit confused on what to take or buy clothing wise for my trip to SA begining of April.
    My friend has arranged a 4 day hunt, but tells me the temperature could be around 35C.
    He tells me that we probably will encounter very thorny bushes, but at the same time i'm thinking what could i wear to shield me from the thorns and not over heat.
    Anyone on here been?
    Any suggestions?
    Many thanks
    Richard
    I went on a fishing trip to Zimbabwe in 1996 >>>

The temperatures during the day can be incredibly hot and if the skies are clear the temperatures drop quite dramatically at night. If I were you I would take lightweight longsleeve shirts and similar fabric lightweight trousers. You need lightweight clothing made of wicking fabric so it keeps the sweat off your body and helps to keep you cool. Make sure you have a good quality lightweight jacket for night safari's. A wide brimmed felt hat is an absolute essential to keep the sun off your head. Whilst I was there I did go on a few foot safari's both in the day and at night. There were a lot of thorny bushes but don't worry about them, you don't go climbing over them do you ???

In addition invest money in good quality COMFORTABLE footwear. If your walking for long periods in hot temperatures you need to have very comfortable footwear.

Best possible mosquito repellant cream in Avon skin so soft woodland fresh. Its a body moisturiser that is also a fantastic mosquito repellant. I have been all over the world fishing and I take it everywhere I go and very rarely get bitten.

Read More about it here.......it really works, I have a case of it in my garage. >>> http://avonmosquitorepellent.com/
    Last edited by robbobsam; 06-02-2011 at 16:05.

Take good tough cotton khakis in a dark colour. they're cheap from GAP and that's good because they'll get mullered by the thorns.

A tough cotton shirt is also a good idea for the same reasons.

A lightweight fisherman's style hat is a good plan to keep the sun out of your eyes, when you stop for a rest you can hang your sweat soaked hat a little distance away and the flies might just go for that instead of you.

The comments about gaiters are spot on but otherwise depending on where you're going tough boots are not necessary.

Take cheap binos as you won't be stalking particularly late/early sand it would be a shame to have a pair swaros nicked. A few cheap knives make good presents for the skinners if you ever need a favour, like a bullet recovered from the gut pile.

Take good personal kit, fist aid etc and tend to cuts and blisters early and well. Toughen your feet with surgical spirit if you are not used to walking 20 kilometres a day. This last may not be the case but Africa is a he'll of a long way to go to be laid up with a blister!

Lastly don't forget a jumper and scarf for the morning, evenings and riding around on the back of the bakkie.

SD Regular
    Am I right (please correct this post if wrong) that any "military style" clothing is a definite no go in SA? So no surplus Desert Storm jacket or trousers!

Hi Richard

Obviously you are not prepared for the event as far as clothing is concerned.

I have my short shorts and bermuda shirt ready packed If you would kindly send the plane ticket and shoot details I will endeavour to ensure I have a excellent time out there hunting and will send pics every other night (if time allows)

Have a good un, sounds brilliant, please don't forget pics for us to see though

Thanks chaps, so i will get some zip off trousers in green, long sleeve shirts, wide brimmed hat and surprise, surprise i already have 'avon skin so soft' to keep off the midges when i'm sea trout fishing!
    I have no problem walking distances and have good boots, will also take my platypus drinking system.
    I must admit i am concerned about having stuff stolen from my checked luggage, i am taking over some fishing equipment and would hate for it to be nicked.
    Now what about those mossies and malaria?
    Better go and see the doc i suppose, but the guy i'm staying with say's they aren't a problem near Kimberley where we are hunting.
    And yes i will bore you with some pictures on my return.
    Cheers
    Richard