Thread: Ongoing training. Serious stuff, but i had the last laugh.

Ongoing training. Serious stuff, but i had the last laugh.

I met my mate Andy this afternoon, we were going to have a bit of target practise.
    I hadn`t known but he had already been out and taped some plastic containers to some fence posts here and there. The containers had a green spot in the middle. I met him at the gateway and we walked about 100 yards, Andy pointed out the first target and said imagine the spot to be a deers heart, it`s about 120 yards away and having assessed the target for safety, duly obliged with a clipped green spot.
    There`s a dip in the field here, deep and wide, when it`s wet you`re vehicle won`t go through it. But, i`m informed there`s a target on the other side. Looking through the binos, this is about 175 ish yards. Andy says "confident??" I said "in hitting the target, yes. Taking the shot? no and i`m not going to" When asked to explain why, i replied, "uphill, no backstop. It was totally unsafe". Andy confirmed that i was correct in my refusal to take the shot.
    Now it has started to drizzle, we`ll do one more, he says.
    We`re on the other side of the field now and he`s put a target in a gateway, to the left hand side of it. "There he says, there`s a deer in the gateway, what do you think??" I said "not a chance, not from here anyway, can i stalk it?" "You tell me?" came his reply.
    The field swept up hill on the right hand side, so the gateway was lower than me once i got there, which was 10 minutes later. I`m wet down my legs, i didn`t have to get on the deck but i thought i`d better do it proper like. Ok, i can see my target or rather the side of it, i`m looking down on it, so i`ve gone from an unsafe to a safe shot and if i hit or miss, my bullet will now go to ground.
    I`m glad i put the bi-pod on earlier cause i needed it now, so legs down, settle, safety off. The shot is about 80 yards ish and roughly gauge the centre of the side of the plastic container. I make sure it`s safe before pulling the trigger, for some reason i made a secondary check. What made me do it? i haven`t a clue. I hit my target no problem. Again Andy agreed with my choice but didn`t expect me to stalk the last one. A good session, with some new lessons learned, i`m well pleased with the results of the day. Shame the rain came.
    Sorry folks it`s so long winded.
    basil.

basil.

Nice one basil .

Simulated stalks like that can do and have done you the world of good, as they get you thinking about all the possiblities of safe or unsafe shooting.

wadas

stalking

I have to say, that is a good lesson on dry stalking. It is not always easy to do it in the field with live deer. I think your friend has done you a favour, particularly if you have limited experience.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Very good idea, I'm doing the same tomorrow DSC 1 test.

Good excersise that more of us should do on unfamiluar ground, with someone who knows the ground intamitley(just to prevent any misshaps).

Good on you! And well in for posting it.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock
    Very good idea, I'm doing the same tomorrow DSC 1 test.

Good excersise that more of us should do on unfamiluar ground, with someone who knows the ground intamitley(just to prevent any misshaps).

Good on you! And well in for posting it.

TJ
    Good luck tomorrow TJ.
    basil.

Tartin
    just cruise it mate , tomorrow welcome to the club! 8)
    Trapper

WELL TJ, DID YOU PASS THE LEVEL 1????????????????????
    basil.

Yup c'mon TJ we don't want to be kept in suspenders ...well most of us don't anyway