Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun and games with my FEO in Dorset

Fun and games with my FEO in Dorset

Hi Guys

I have held my FAC for 3 years. Ive done a plenty of rimfire vermin control during that time. I would guess at 700 rabbits, 20 foxes and numerous corvids and other vermin.

I have decided to take to step up to centrefire as I am coming across more and more foxes and Im not happy with using the 17 HMR at anything over 60 yards as its not the right tool for the job. I also have Deer on a couple of my shoots and having been stalking with a friend a couple of times last year I would really like to get into stalking.

I spoke to my FEO today after reading the 2002 Home Office firearms gude. I asked if she had any issues with the addition of a .243 for fox and deer to my fac. To some up her response was-

- No to .243 if its main use was fox (The HO guide states its a suitable calibre)
    - Yes to .243 for deer and occasional fox when stalking but WITH A MENTORING CONDITIION

She did however say I could have a .223 or .22-250 for fox and Muntjac with no mentoring condition

To me this seems ridiculous. I would very much like to be given an example of a shot that is safe with a .223 but dangerous with a .243. Surely if I am considered a safe shot and granted a .223 I would also be a safe shot with a .243. Also why is it deemed that I would need mentoring to shoot a Roe with a .243 when my FEO would grant me a .223 to shoot Muntjac with no conditions?
    I see no reason why I should have to purchase a .223 and a .243 that would be subject to mentoring when the Home office guidelines clearly state that .243 is a suitable calibre for both fox and deer. I know of many shooters who possess a .243 just for fox, several of which were granted at first application with no previous experience! How can a Dorset FEO say that I am safe to shoot Deer with a .223 but not a .243?
    Surely once someone has been deemed fit to possess a Firearm, as long as the ground is suitable and the quarry available then the calibre does not decide what is safe or not, the person pulling the trigger does.
    If I was a member of BASC I would ask them for advice but I am with the Countryside Alliance who dont seem to get involved in licencing issues.
    Am I going to just have to agree to this or is it worth persuing?

SD Regular
    If I was a member of BASC I would ask them for advice but I am with the Countryside Alliance who don't seem to get involved in licencing issues.
    I'm sure that your Countryside Alliance subscription isn't wasted as I guess they would be good for advice on legal matters involving foxhunting though?

I make no further comment.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 04-02-2011 at 21:10.

Simple, just get the .223 (everyone should have one anyway) for DEER and FOX on your certificate. As far as I am aware, there is no other statutory condition i.e. no small deer or muntjac condition. Then get a variation in future - shouldn't be a problem as you will have already held a centre fire certificate with a DEER condition. An alternative would be the .22-250 which you could then get re-barrelled to 6XC later on if you don't want both a .22 and 6mm centre fire. All this is assuming you don't already shoot with someone who could be a mentor.

Tom

A couple of thoughts: join BASC, do your DSC I, then apply for the rifles that you want.

Rgds JCS

I did mention the DSC but shoe told me its not worth the paper its written on as her concern is the actual shots taken, not the deer management or carcass handling!

Seems you are in the same boat as me Tom, see my accompanied condition explained thread.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

tom 0787

Agree with her and get a 22-250 /223 for fox and munties and also apply for a 243 or 308 for the larger deer species , then in your letter explain that when you are out after fox and munties with the 223 and you see a larger deer species and have to go back to the car where the other rifle & ammo is being kept/left then change over. leaving a rifle and ammo (of course you would keep the bolt with you) in the car out of sight but unattended .

ask her i writting does she/the police think it it better to have two CF rifles when one would do the job and aslo as does she think that leaving a rifle and ammo unattended in a vehicle when you swap over guns ok .

The mentoring requirement is being applied in an arbitrary way and you say its difficult impossible to condition find a shot that is safe with a .223 but dangerous with a .243. Legally you could use fmj for fox and that would make more difference to safety that the choice of calibres.

As the Police have to determine each case on its merits, they can’t have policy/internal guidance – write and ask the reason for the different requirements. That should make them think in a formal response.

Quote Originally Posted by griffshrek View Post
    tom 0787

Agree with her and get a 22-250 /223 for fox and munties and also apply for a 243 or 308 for the larger deer species , then in your letter explain that when you are out after fox and munties with the 223 and you see a larger deer species and have to go back to the car where the other rifle & ammo is being kept/left then change over. leaving a rifle and ammo (of course you would keep the bolt with you) in the car out of sight but unattended .

ask her i writting does she/the police think it it better to have two CF rifles when one would do the job and aslo as does she think that leaving a rifle and ammo unattended in a vehicle when you swap over guns ok .
    Nice plan, but the issue is she will happily give me a 22 centerfire but wants to put a mentoring condition on a 243

I would just add that it would be wise to think carefully before digging your heels in too hard on your first centre fire FAC. Bear in mind how long you FEO has been and is likely to remain in post.... You may feel that it is just arbitrary, but sometimes being pragmatic is simpler and beneficial in the long run....