Mobile/PDA friendly?

Dan Gliballs

Is SD mobile friendly?

I often browse with the iPhone as I can't be arsed to get the laptop out but I find it heavy going. I use an app called Tapatalk to browse other forums, is it something SD would think about?

This is timely because the next release of the forum software contains a mobile skin optimised for browsing on a phone. I think there are a few teething problems with it at the moment, but I am waiting for that release to go gold before I upgrade us and we can try it.

Alex

This is timely because the next release of the forum software contains a mobile skin optimised for browsing on a phone. I think there are a few teething problems with it at the moment, but I am waiting for that release to go gold before I upgrade us and we can try it.

Alex
Thanks for the reply Alex.

I look forward to the update.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Will there be any plans for us Blackberry users. It sounds like the I phone users have the same problems I do when using my blackberry to use the forum.

Cheers

Ross

Is there any chance you could send all new information to my my old nokia Alex,S it has a colour screen but i can send pictures.:lol:

Just to clarify my comment above, I have no issues browsing the Stalking Directory from my iPhone using the Safari browser. The performance is no different from any other site I visit. Rgds JCS

Hi Alex,

Will there be any plans for us Blackberry users. It sounds like the I phone users have the same problems I do when using my blackberry to use the forum.

Cheers

Ross

As JCS has stated, I think iPhones are fine if they use Safari. The new mobile skin apparently works on iPhones too.

I think there are issues with the new mobile skin and Blackberries default browser, which is annoying given how many are out there. vBulletin have developed the mobile skin for 'Webkit' browsers which basically alienates all but the newest phones. Apparently it will work if you use Opera browser though. We'll just have to see when it's released!

Alex

Well the first release of the new mobile style is a bit of a flop I'm afraid to say. It doesn't even render properly on our site so I'm going to have to file a bug report with vBulletin. I'm going to have to do a bit of testing to see if it can at least be made usable if not presentable :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's viewing the full site same as you would on a PC, there is no change there. The mobile style is a cut down version of the site optimised for small screens. What is meant to happen is that it detects you viewing the site on a phone and gives you the phone layout instead, but it's a mess so I haven't switched it on yet!

more info here: vBulletin 4.1.2 Mobile Style - Blogs - vBulletin Community Forum

Its sort of working now....

Anyone with an iPhone want to try viewing the forum. It should should autodetect and look something like this:

Capture.JPG

Obviously the colours aren't customised yet, and 'What's New' is missing (fundemental omission!!) but it's a start I guess.

Back