Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best practice- producing quality venison workshop- mull and islay

Best practice- producing quality venison workshop- mull and islay

SNH are running WDBP Workshops on Producing Quality Venison on Mull and Islay.

Mull: 20 February
    Islay: 21 February (evening); 22 February (main event)

Please see attachment for booking form and details.

Events are foc and open to all (we need bookings to manage facilities and catering).

Get in touch if any difficulties.

Regards

Mike Cottam
    WDBP Officer
    SNH
    mike.cottam@snh.gov.uk
    01463 725373 direct
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mike while i think its a great idea to bring into the spotlight that Deer will produce quality Venison will there be any work shops on the main land that people can get to. I just feel that for some Islay and Mull are just not that accessable .

Mull looks like a good day but with it being a Sunday you can't get onto the island until 1046 with the course starting at 1000. It makes it an expensive course if you have to include an overnight stay.

I realise Mull and Islay are somewhat inaccessible, but we also need to service the Islands.

Mainland not forgotten. SNH is currently involved in bidding for public money for FY beginning April. If Scottish Government decides to allow funds there will be workshops and a WDBP Demo Event through the year.

I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks for the support and interest in WDBP.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cottam View Post
    I realise Mull and Islay are somewhat inaccessible, but we also need to service the Islands.

Mainland not forgotten. SNH is currently involved in bidding for public money for FY beginning April. If Scottish Government decides to allow funds there will be workshops and a WDBP Demo Event through the year.

I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks for the support and interest in WDBP.

Regards

Mike
    If we were to make it over on the first ferry would we miss much and would late registration be allowed?

It might be beter to aim this one at the ones that live on the islands IMO it is a none starter for most people on the mainland. I hope it dose what the governemt wants from the BP team and reaches as many people as possible .But this one might be the biggest waiste of Public funds yet. Highlands and Islands shut down on sundays need i say more.

Mull may seem a silly choice but there unless you are aquaint with Mull yo do not realise how big it actually is. Dependent on location it will be easily accessed from Ardnamurchan as well on the Lochaline Ferry That puts it in perspective for a lot of stalkers. From the title it seems to be aimed at the estate rather than the recreational stalker,
    Jim

Your are probably right Jim but i woud have certainl liked the chance to go but a round trip of 10 HOURS is just a little to far with a BB thrown in for good measure. I have asked Mike if there will be anything similar closer to home planned but i imagaine with cuts we in the central belt area will need to like it or lump it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Mull may seem a silly choice but there unless you are aquaint with Mull yo do not realise how big it actually is. Dependent on location it will be easily accessed from Ardnamurchan as well on the Lochaline Ferry That puts it in perspective for a lot of stalkers. From the title it seems to be aimed at the estate rather than the recreational stalker,
    Jim
    I stay around a minutes walk from the ferry terminal in Oban so Craignure would have been quite handy for me. I just think 10am start, when the ferry arrives at the door of the hotel at 1046 is a bit of an oversight.

There we go again it's too far away .

Well don't go then simple . Moam moan moan there's no pleasing some .

I remember looking at the name tags left on the table for those that did not turn up for the best practice days in Dumfries

I've been to best practice days all over Scotland predominately in the North of Scotland with a couple of over night stays .

With a load of moan moan moan there was a best practice day in Glasgow which was only a educational over look of peri urban deer management not the real deal.

With the real deal best practice days, you have got to travel if you are half interest in education in current practices throughout the deer stalking world in Scotland, if you have a genuine interest,in your pastime traveling won't be a hurdle you look at every time a best practice day comes up, that's not on your door step .
    Last edited by widows son; 05-02-2011 at 22:37.