Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Success or failure.........How often of each ?

Success or failure.........How often of each ?

A general question for everyone...............

How many outings on average do you put in for every beast taken?

The reason I ask is.........I stalk an area with what appears to be a high deer density........loads of slots and crap {Red and Roe} everywhere but I aint seeing many deer of late.

Any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by Cadex; 06-02-2011 at 17:51.

BEWARE OF POACHERS !!!!!!!

Just kiddin Cadex, on average 3 stalks per deer ,stalks lasting 2-3 hours
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 05-02-2011 at 23:42.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    A general question for everyone...............

How many hours on average do you put in stalking for every beast taken?

The reason I ask is.........I stalk an area with what appears to be a high deer density........loads of slots and crap {Red and Roe} everywhere but I aint seeing many deer.

Any ideas anyone?
    I work on 3 stalks per beast
    some weeks you are luky and get 3 other times you don't see a thing for months
    but on average for me over the year it is 3-1
    ATB

With my club it works out over the season to 4 outings to 1 animal, we cull about 160 deer to about 500 outings. From October to mid December the ratio increases to 2 outings to 1 animal. In mid February to March it is about 3 outings to 1 animal. We cull Fallow, Munties & CWD.
    Last edited by Munty1; 05-02-2011 at 21:37.

I am also lucky and have a good few deer and at the moment for the last to seasons i am on a 1 deer per 2 stalks averge stalk time 2-3 hours.

Cadex have a wee look with the lamp and see if they are showing in the dark and some types of ground show slots and signs alot longer than others. But if the deer are there you will see them.
    best of luck

That makes me feel a touch better guys.

You must be stalking the same ground as me Cadex.
    On the syndicate land I stalk near Ayr I see plenty of Roe from a distance and some red on top of the hill but can I get near them, no chance. I've figured the next time I go I'm going to get to a likely looking spot on one of the rides and just wait until they show...not my ideal stalking as I like to keep on the move but needs must on this particular permission I think.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Much better average for me you'll be sad to hear! I've never actually worked it out, but I average at least 1 per trip. I had a particularly good run last year I remember where I got 41 animals over 8 visits on one area! I got 4 there this morning too!
    However, I still have the odd 'blank' day too! We do have an awful lot of deer around here though!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    You must be stalking the same ground as me Cadex.
    On the syndicate land I stalk near Ayr I see plenty of Roe from a distance and some red on top of the hill but can I get near them, no chance. I've figured the next time I go I'm going to get to a likely looking spot on one of the rides and just wait until they show...not my ideal stalking as I like to keep on the move but needs must on this particular permission I think.
    Used to stalk on area with some Sika in the Yarrow valley, the sika were present but very rarely saw them so the most productive method was to work out where the fresh sign was then sit and wait, it was hard going and averaged nearly 40 hours per sika but was certainly more productive than 'tramping' the ground.
    "No matter how much you do.....there's always plenty more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Much better average for me you'll be sad to hear! I've never actually worked it out, but I average at least 1 per trip. I had a particularly good run last year I remember where I got 41 animals over 8 visits on one area! I got 4 there this morning too!
    However, I still have the odd 'blank' day too! We do have an awful lot of deer around here though!
    MS
    Density of deer must surely always dictates the success rate, weather permitting.

We would normally come away with at least 1 Sika per visit and yet a mates ground a few miles away would not yield a return anything like that. I had also heard that it took 30+ hours in the Borders per Sika hind. Our average however was way above that.

Again, ground I have a mile from the house would also normally produce Roe on every occasion, having said that 3 visits so far have been blank but lots seen!