Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .243....4000fps varmint load !!!

Account Suspended

.243....4000fps varmint load !!!

Hiya Guys,

I have just been using QUICKLOAD to design a new load for my .243. I was thinking about a really lightweight bullet and pushing it as fast as it is safe to do so to get a flat shooting laser like trajectory.

Just came up with a load that will reach 4000fps pushing a 58grain V-Max.

Has anyone had any experience using 58 grain V-Max and IMR4895 ???

Found similar statistics using same products on the 6mmbr forum so I know I am not far off, was just wondering if anyone on here has 1st hand experience with this or a similar load ???
    Last edited by robbobsam; 06-02-2011 at 19:36.

Now it may just be me but, is a deer stalking site really the place to be having post's about warp speed varmint rounds. I'm sure there are dedicated varmint sites where people have the appropriate knowledge and expertise in such matters, but here I don't think so.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Now it may just be me but, is a deer stalking site really the place to be having post's about warp speed varmint rounds. I'm sure there are dedicated varmint sites where people have the appropriate knowledge and expertise in such matters, but here I don't think so.

John
    OK Fair point, pleae remove post.

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    Hiya Guys,

I have just been using QUICKLOAD to design a new load for my .243. I was thinking about a really lightweight bullet and pushing it as fast as it is safe to do so to get a flat shooting laser like trajectory.

Just came up with a load that will reach 4000fps pushing a 58grain V-Max.

Has anyone had any experience using 58 grain V-Max and IMR4895 ???

Found similar statistics using same products on the 6mmbr forum so I know I am not far off, was just wondering if anyone on here has 1st hand experience with this or a similar load ???
    Before the thread gets removed: JAYB and I worked up similar loads for my Winchester M-70 243 a few-five years back. Didn't use Quick Load though, we got it straight off of the Hodgdons' site after finding two boxes of V-Maxes on sale. We got 3800+ for speed, reasonable accuracy, and maximum pressures. I doubt that the theoretical speeds derived from Quick Load will be easily attainable. Not a hardship though as the 58 grain bullet has the BC of a shuttlecock and bleeds that excess speed very fast. It's a barrel burner but have at it if pure speed is your goal.~Muir

Account Suspended
    Just curious, I have .20cal on my ticket and have been looking to get a 20cal custom built rifle made up. Now I see that a .243 can do much the same if I make a custom load up with a lightweight bullet the 20cal appears to be surplus to requirement.

Thanks for that Muir.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post

John
    No you are "NOT ALONE" John.

well anything to do with reloading and rifles does for me, is admin going to change section title to Reloading, Ballistics & Technical Data only for shooting deer?
    come on, anal is the word.
    The poster had a question, posted it in the relevant area , to say you should only have stalking subject matter on this website contradicts the rough shooting, lamping, pigeon shooting, big game hunting that is featured.
    Last edited by 1shot1kill; 06-02-2011 at 16:00.

Not that I am into reloading yet ,but it seems a fair question posted in the correct section.

55gn ballistic tip, 44.5gn h4895 = 3950fps from my 22.75" .243 R93. great for headshooting roe and above 1700 footpounds so deer legal in england.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    55gn ballistic tip, 44.5gn h4895 = 3950fps from my 22.75" .243 R93. great for headshooting roe and above 1700 footpounds so deer legal in england.
    I am getting very similar figures from IMR4895 on quickload. Are you finding it to be a tight grouping load in your blaser?