.243....4000fps varmint load !!!

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I have just been using QUICKLOAD to design a new load for my .243. I was thinking about a really lightweight bullet and pushing it as fast as it is safe to do so to get a flat shooting laser like trajectory.

Just came up with a load that will reach 4000fps pushing a 58grain V-Max.

Has anyone had any experience using 58 grain V-Max and IMR4895 ???

Found similar statistics using same products on the 6mmbr forum so I know I am not far off, was just wondering if anyone on here has 1st hand experience with this or a similar load ???

Last edited:
Now it may just be me but, is a deer stalking site really the place to be having post's about warp speed varmint rounds. I'm sure there are dedicated varmint sites where people have the appropriate knowledge and expertise in such matters, but here I don't think so.

John

Now it may just be me but, is a deer stalking site really the place to be having post's about warp speed varmint rounds. I'm sure there are dedicated varmint sites where people have the appropriate knowledge and expertise in such matters, but here I don't think so.

John

OK Fair point, pleae remove post.

Hiya Guys,

I have just been using QUICKLOAD to design a new load for my .243. I was thinking about a really lightweight bullet and pushing it as fast as it is safe to do so to get a flat shooting laser like trajectory.

Just came up with a load that will reach 4000fps pushing a 58grain V-Max.

Has anyone had any experience using 58 grain V-Max and IMR4895 ???

Found similar statistics using same products on the 6mmbr forum so I know I am not far off, was just wondering if anyone on here has 1st hand experience with this or a similar load ???

Before the thread gets removed: JAYB and I worked up similar loads for my Winchester M-70 243 a few-five years back. Didn't use Quick Load though, we got it straight off of the Hodgdons' site after finding two boxes of V-Maxes on sale. We got 3800+ for speed, reasonable accuracy, and maximum pressures. I doubt that the theoretical speeds derived from Quick Load will be easily attainable. Not a hardship though as the 58 grain bullet has the BC of a shuttlecock and bleeds that excess speed very fast. It's a barrel burner but have at it if pure speed is your goal.~Muir

Just curious, I have .20cal on my ticket and have been looking to get a 20cal custom built rifle made up. Now I see that a .243 can do much the same if I make a custom load up with a lightweight bullet the 20cal appears to be surplus to requirement.

Thanks for that Muir.

John

No you are "NOT ALONE" John.

well anything to do with reloading and rifles does for me, is admin going to change section title to Reloading, Ballistics & Technical Data only for shooting deer?
come on, anal is the word.
The poster had a question, posted it in the relevant area , to say you should only have stalking subject matter on this website contradicts the rough shooting, lamping, pigeon shooting, big game hunting that is featured.

Last edited by a moderator:
55gn ballistic tip, 44.5gn h4895 = 3950fps from my 22.75" .243 R93. great for headshooting roe and above 1700 footpounds so deer legal in england.

55gn ballistic tip, 44.5gn h4895 = 3950fps from my 22.75" .243 R93. great for headshooting roe and above 1700 footpounds so deer legal in england.

I am getting very similar figures from IMR4895 on quickload. Are you finding it to be a tight grouping load in your blaser?

You can learn a lot on this forum, I put a variation in a few months ago for a .308, .22 FAC air and a .20cal. From talking to guys on here and with the help they have given me with quickload I have already learnt that the .20cal is not required.

My .243 can shoot slightly heavier bullets flatter with less windage than the .20cal.

Saved me about £2k in rifle mounts and scope.

I have used a lot of forums and this is probably the best most sensible english one I have used.

Thanks Guys.

You can learn a lot on this forum, I put a variation in a few months ago for a .308, .22 FAC air and a .20cal. From talking to guys on here and with the help they have given me with quickload I have already learnt that the .20cal is not required.

My .243 can shoot slightly heavier bullets flatter with less windage than the .20cal.

Saved me about £2k in rifle mounts and scope.

I have used a lot of forums and this is probably the best most sensible english one I have used.

Thanks Guys.

I wouldn't count on that.~Muir

I wouldn't count on that.~Muir

If you compare the data on here >>> http://www.6mmbr.com/20Caliber.html with the data from quickload using 55-58grain bullets you will see that the .243 at 3900-4000fps has very similar if not favorable ballistics.

.243win in 58grain V-Max with BC of .25 @ 4000fps at 300yds has 5.2" drop & 1900ft/lbs
.20cal in 40grain V-Max with BC of .275 @ 4000fps at 300yds has 4.9" drop & 1400ft/lbs

I think that is close enough muir, wouldn't you say???

I know its all generated figures from software and websites, but you have to get information from somewhere to make informed decisions and Quickload, Exbal and the 6mmbr site are some of the better sources of information available aren't they ???

Last edited:
I am getting very similar figures from IMR4895 on quickload. Are you finding it to be a tight grouping load in your blaser?

grouped well and shot a lot of foxes out to 300y with an 8x56 scope. use 70gn ballistic tips now, 40gn h4895 = 3400 fps, flat enough and harder hitting

robbobsam - do you use a scope with 'dial in' turrets? Reason i ask is because ive been down this road personally before and come to the conclusion that getting a flat shooting round is great if you dont dial in elevation as you dont have to think about drop for another 50-100yds but if your dialling in corrections then drop is just a number, just means that you may dial in an extra 3 clicks or the likes. so by loading the round to shoot at 3000-3500fps opposed to stoking it up to 4000fps, you increase barrel life and may (maybe) get better accuracy results. Also, have you looked at twist rate of your barrel vs. bullet weight and speed? if its shooting really well with 87gn bullets then it may not have the twist requirements for a 55gn.

On another note, im sure your aware as its a cliche almost but the .243 was originally designed for a varminting rifle. It annoys me that the police advise so many people to get a .243 just because its the smallest deer legal calibre (excluding CDW and munties) that is available.

You are making a really good point. I do use my nightforce to dial in but I would only use the 50grain bullets for night shooting which would be limited to 200-250yds. At this range you wouldnt really need any scope adjustments at 4000fps. I would zero at 200yds, so it would be point and shoot for head shots as long as the wind is low.

I like you am surprised at the police view on the .243. It is a varmint caliber designed for 70-80 grain bullets. My rifle shoots them best of all, it really doesn't like 100grain bullets which is the legal requirement for deer in scotland and I am not too sure about the twist for 50-60grain bullets, but I will let you know when I try them.

Last edited:
robbob - http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi this is a good calculator for stability.

RE: zeroing.. working on the 58gn VMAX @ a normal speed of 3500fps ish, and a kill zone of 4'' diameter, you could zero it 1'' high at 100yds and it would be in the kill zone out to 250yds (ie. 2'' low) This equates to zero @ 200yds. So again you need to ask the question; is the extra speed and possible loss of accuracy worth it for shortened barrel life and increased powder usage etc? Its all food for thought anyways.

robbob - http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi this is a good calculator for stability.

RE: zeroing.. working on the 58gn VMAX @ a normal speed of 3500fps ish, and a kill zone of 4'' diameter, you could zero it 1'' high at 100yds and it would be in the kill zone out to 250yds (ie. 2'' low) This equates to zero @ 200yds. So again you need to ask the question; is the extra speed and possible loss of accuracy worth it for shortened barrel life and increased powder usage etc? Its all food for thought anyways.

Thats a really handy site for ballistics thanks flyfisherman.

I have been looking at ballistics all day on the quickload and whilst the laser like trajectory is nice I have concerns for barrel life which makes me lean towards slower loads and the current very mild but accurate varget load i'm using.

Back