What is a cull buck???

Duncs

When under exam conditions!!! and ot on your land???

Sorry for original deleting post, but for the good of site, and my blood presure I am just going to stick to stalking my beasts!!

It doesn't matter what went on in my case, but the AW thought it ok....the assesor not. Who is right??

Ahh yet again it happens. Sorry to have to bring it up again but I sympathise with you Duncs, it appears that this crap is still going on with level 2 :cry:

What has it got to do with the accessor about what kind of deer you cull, it should make very little difference, and quite honestly I fail to see why its their business to know whether you take a good beast or a poor one. Surely they are there to judge your skills in stalking, safety, carcase preperation and handling in the larder, and presenting a safe carcase to enter the food chain.

Or is there another level to level 2 that people are not being told, you know the one where they make up there own rules as they go along because they want to be tin gods :rolleyes:

Sorry to rant a bit but this should not be happening as far as I am concerned.

Anyway well done Duncs for passing, good on ya ;)

One of my friends booked an AW for last Friday evening hopefully to witness two stalks on roe bucks on the AW's ground.

As a result of info I picked up on this forum I was able to warn him that he should check with the AW before the stalking started what could be shot and that the AW would not tell him where the deer were likely to be.

When he called me to let me know how he got on, he said that, after it was over, the AW commented that he wished more people asked him before the stalking started if there were any bucks to be left alone as this avoided potential problems of the AW having to intervene during the stalk or arguments with the Assessor later :rolleyes:

On the subject of Level 2, is it not easier to get by completing the stalks on roe or muntjac rather than one of the bigger species?

What do you think?

Nick

The aim of the Standard and related assessments is to enable candidates to demonstrate their understanding of basic deer management principles and to show competence in legally, safely and humanely culling deer, and dealing with carcasses hygienically. This is a quote from the DMQ website.

Is not asking the owner whether the beast fits into the cull plan showing you have an understanding of deer management???

If they had said, quite a poor beast, lets say in scotland on Red stags, and you normally shot beasts in suffolk, you might well shoot the best beast on the property!!!

Candiate wlks up to a deer, it has a peruque. He shoots as it is in his mind a cull beast...gets slapped with a huge trophy fee!! How does this help the candidate??

Dear me, that's a brainful.

Thank heavens we don't have to do that with angling.

When I joined the shooting club I'm in now, before I was even given a rifle to hold on my first safety training session the old guy said quietly "Listen to me son, if you f/// up with this it isn't you who pays the price and you dont get a second chance". I never forgot it and everything I do now stems from that one sentence.

I'm not going stalking until I can tie up with someone who knows what they are doing. In particular I dont think I will have earned the right to take a shot at a deer until I've at least done a gralloch on a deer I haven't shot myself.

DCS2 does my head in.

Ok, So it is the buck season, any suitable "cull" animal" is the chosen target. A 3 legged hind comes into view, and is shot. Out of season....so technically failed. I hear the shout, but she only had three legs, it is know that (locally) she has calved recently year in year out, even though she only had 3 legs....So failed ass she was not a siutable cull animal.

I started this thread to say that it was good to have some flexibility, and that it....F*ck I can't be bothered any more. The level 2 cert goes into a draw, and if I ever hear some tw*t blurt out that he has got it...blah,blah, blah, I will assume that he is simple good at painting by numbers, because the more I hear, the less is it about experience, but more about crossing t's and ticking boxes. One good thing that has come from this thread is, thank god I had my AW, and thank god my assesor saw fit to pass me. After all, I have been watched/mentord by the forestry for 5 years and the best part of 150 deer, and yet there are still some AW's (mentiong no names) that would have failed me, just for showing the land owner some respect and the stalker some common decentcy, by simplying checking that the beast fell into there cull plan. 300wsm, not every one has there own land.

If I had been on mine.....one frarmer wants all shot, so my target would have been ...a deer! How can that be better than choosing a siutable one on someone elses land?

Jessssssus its like stalking with the encyclopedia brittanica under your arm. No wonder many are put off now by level 2, I hope somewhere in the index there is a chapter for common sense. :cry: but that does not appear to be the case.

How can you be wrong after taking 1000 deer and maybe 40 years experience :lol: :lol: come on 300wsm be serious stalking with a manual under your arm is not what this is all about, and that is what this is looking like.

Never mind Duncs, you are not alone, there are quite a few stalkers I know who have been stalking and managing huge estates for 20, 30 or more years, and many are of the same mind as you. They have more experience, knowledge, skill and craft than many of those who run these courses, and would run circles around them. Also I would say that many AW'S have more experiance than the accessors, the guy I had was 25 years old and lived with his mum and dad :lol:

Await in coming :rolleyes:

Why does anyone take the level 2??
It`s only a piece of paper that says that chap is qualified to asess your skills at what is needed to pass. Nothing would convince me that he`s any better or safer than you or i. Plus you give them £300 + for the priviledge
I`ll happily do the level 1 as it will show a new permission owner that you are competent in what you are doing and shows a more professional approach.
basil.

Carefull, I can see this post running very similar to one that we had about a week or so ago!
DSC 2 is a very precise qualification and I think it should be conducted on astro-turf with model deer so that it is never necassary to deviate from the book! Maybe we could use laser cap guns and a rubber knife. :lol:

Well if its an argument you want Andy, I think Lazer guns are rubbish; I much prefer a pair of Navy Colt revolver cap guns! The caps that come in a long pink paper coils and burn you knuckles! :lol:

Now, come on Mr. B., You are just being silly now! :lol:

(can you still buy them, coz they were the nuts!)

I wish that you could still buy them but they are not PC. You can buy a plastic pink watering can though and make the sound effects yourself. ;)

300wsm, I think that it is now time to find the lighter side of life before we have another post with conflict!!!!

Back