Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlodge

Marlodge

Hear they are going to be starting a 4 hour shift every night lamping Deer, any one know if it,s true.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by colm View Post
    Hear they are going to be starting a 4 hour shift every night lamping Deer, any one know if it,s true.
    I have no idea, but why would it be surprising: http://www.scottishgamekeepers.co.uk...failed-project

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

There are a few estates that have been doing this for years.

It's nothing new. I've been doing it nigh on 13yrs now. It's a very effective method of controlling deer.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 06-02-2011 at 18:47.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I think the problem with Marlodge Dan is the disgusting amount of cash that has been thrown at the place and it still needs more when will it stop.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I think the problem with Marlodge Dan is the disgusting amount of cash that has been thrown at the place and it still needs more when will it stop.
    Now as the NTS have finally thrown in the towel.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

The Mar Lodge keeper of 30 years Stewart Cumming resigned in December over the NTS policy of culling deer simply to protect the Scots Pine regeneration project which they refused to put a fence around! It beggars belief they were allowed to keep this policy in place!

Keeper quits over National Trust for Scotland deer 'slaughter' - Scotland on Sunday
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

I used to go up to Braemar and Inveray to stay there and photograph the Red-deer of Mar Lodge.
    At night the deer came into the villages and into peoples gardens many of which had their own deer fences to protect the plants and shrubs.
    This was a wonderful tourist attraction but after the terrible culls of a few years ago the deer vanished.
    The last time I went there I did not see a deer or hear a roar and this was during the rut so I never returned.
    Those Red-deer were some of the finest in Scotland. Picture of one below.

HWH.

It saddend me to read of more night time culling just to meet the cull requirements (whether the figures are sensible or not is a massive argument for another time).
    My point here is there are many competent non professional stalkers on limited incomes who would give their eye teeth to help with a cull. But no they are not encouraged or invited.
    Many hands make light work springs to mind. - Time for a more lateral approach to these issues would be nice.
    Ian

Night shooting should only be undertaken at a very last resort in my opinion. And after ALL THIS TIME AND MONEY they are still killing deer and no regeneration of trees!! Just goes to show that once again the deer have been blamed for mans destruction of the caledonian forest, so lets shoot all the deer policy dosnt really wash does it?

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Night shooting should only be undertaken at a very last resort in my opinion. And after ALL THIS TIME AND MONEY they are still killing deer and no regeneration of trees!! Just goes to show that once again the deer have been blamed for mans destruction of the caledonian forest, so lets shoot all the deer policy dosnt really wash does it?
    It depends greatly on many factors, it obviously hasn't worked at Marlodge but it's made a massive difference in Glenfeshie, the bottom of the glen is carpeted in new growth. Don't for a minute think I'm justifying mass culls, Deer are part of the big picture, they have always inhabited the glens of Scotland and always should.