6.5 for Boar in France and/or Italy?

Tamus

I'm thinking of going wildboar shooting in France or perhaps Italy where I have a standing invitation to shoot. I'll not bother you with the details of why this is, suffice it to say I did it in Poland last year and enjoyed it and now, as it happens, a trip is on the cards for this coming autumn, most probably to France.

My problem is, I have a .30-06 calibre rifle and it is said by others here on the S.D. that I cannot use this for hunting in France (or Italy?). However, I also have a rifle chambered in 6.5-.284. I know I can get 6.5mm 156 and 160 grain bullets to reload with and I know those bullets are more than capable for use on wild-boar. The 6.5x55 Swedish is used in other countries for this very purpose and seems to manage OK. My 6.5 has a slight performance edge over the Swede so I reckon it would do just fine too.

My question is: Will I be allowed to use my 6.5-.284 (currently with a 3-9 power scope mounted) with appropriate spec reloads and subject to having an invitation to hunt, on wildboar in either France or Italy? Or is the 6.5 deemed to light a calibre?

Thanks~Tom

Hi Tamus,
you can certainly hunt boar in Italy with a 30.06. I have used my mates rifle several times and now have one of my own in that caliber. Re the 6.5, not sure about .284, but the 6.5x55 certainly does the trick for a mate of mine. Not sure about the legality of the caliber in France though.

banned calibres

In France it is illegal to use any gun that uses a military calibre - so 30-06 and 6.5 x 55 are out.

There must be a minimum legal calibre or muzzle energy level set from what I have read, but I don't know what it is. Once again from reading numerous articles and from gathering information from French hunting magazines the smallest calibre in regular use seems to be .270win. There must be someone on this site who can give a definate answer surely!

I wouldn't bet on that! I've been trying to get the definitive answer about taking my 30.06 into france and straight over to Italy. No luck so far. The French customs website says yes if you are a non national i.e. not French, but two French RFD's have said NO WAY!.

Might have to fly direct to Italy with it.

mark.

There must be a minimum legal calibre or muzzle energy level set from what I have read, but I don't know what it is. Once again from reading numerous articles and from gathering information from French hunting magazines the smallest calibre in regular use seems to be .270win. There must be someone on this site who can give a definate answer surely!

I've a few French books on shooting there. All I can find at the moment is Daniel Babo "Toutes Les Chasses". He gives a table but I don't know if it is his opinion or the law as he stays silent on that issue! All are minimum energy at 100 metres.

Sanglier (wild boar) 2,500 joules w/bullet 10-19 grams
Cerf Elaphe (red deer) 2 500 joules w/bullet 4.5-6 grams
Cerf Sika (sika) 2 000 joules w/bullet 10-19 grams
Daim (fallow deer) 2 000 joules w/bullet 6-10 grams
Chevreuil (roe deer) 1 000 joules w/bullet 6-10 grams

As 4.5-6 grams isn't a lot in grains either it is a misprint or an "odd" personal opinion! It surely can't be the law? Nowhere is a minimum calibre specified.

Somewhere I've a book like those driving test Q and A publications with the 2000 or thereabouts Permis de Chasse syllabus and exam questions. If I can find it I'll see what it says. That will be the law at that date!

Enfieldspares I think you may be right that it’s a personal opinion of the book’s author and also that there may be some typing errors because some of the figures don’t make sense when converted to units that I am more familiar with.

Sanglier (wild boar) 2,500 joules w/bullet 10-19 grams equates to 154 to 293 grains and 1844ft/lb
Cerf Elaphe (red deer) 2 500 joules w/bullet 4.5-6 grams equates to 69 to 92 grains and 1844ft/lb
Cerf Sika (sika) 2 000 joules w/bullet 10-19 grams equates to 154 to 293 grains and 1475ft/lb
Daim (fallow deer) 2 000 joules w/bullet 6-10 grams equates to 92 to 154 grains and 1475ft/lb
Chevreuil (roe deer) 1 000 joules w/bullet 6-10 grams equates to 92 to 154 grains and 737ft/lb

It’s interesting that Sika require heavier bullets than Red deer yet less energy. Also that the bullet weight for roe wouldn’t permit the use of .222 which from what I read is commonly used to shoot roe in France.

I’ve seen the Q and A book for the hunting examination that you mention in several supermarkets in France, I think I’ll pick one up when next in France and have a go at understanding it.

I've a few French books on shooting there. All I can find at the moment is Daniel Babo "Toutes Les Chasses". He gives a table but I don't know if it is his opinion or the law as he stays silent on that issue! All are minimum energy at 100 metres.

Sanglier (wild boar) 2,500 joules w/bullet 10-19 grams
Cerf Elaphe (red deer) 2 500 joules w/bullet 4.5-6 grams
Cerf Sika (sika) 2 000 joules w/bullet 10-19 grams
Daim (fallow deer) 2 000 joules w/bullet 6-10 grams
Chevreuil (roe deer) 1 000 joules w/bullet 6-10 grams

As 4.5-6 grams isn't a lot in grains either it is a misprint or an "odd" personal opinion! It surely can't be the law? Nowhere is a minimum calibre specified.

Somewhere I've a book like those driving test Q and A publications with the 2000 or thereabouts Permis de Chasse syllabus and exam questions. If I can find it I'll see what it says. That will be the law at that date!

According to the reloading tables I should be able to push a suitable (tough) 156 grain bullet to about 2900 fps MV from my 6.5-284. That equates to about 2913ftlbs of ME, or 3950J of ME.

But, is that how the French assess permissable cartridges/calibres for quarry?

and... if it is

Does the above qualify?

That 10 grams - where it was the legal minimum - was always the problem with the 270 Winchester. Although not in France.

It was just too light at 9.8 grams in factory ammunition (150 grains)! Now Sako did at one time make a 155 grain soft point round nose so I presume that Scandanavia has somewhere in its game laws a 10 gram specification?

My understanding was that the rules for France were changed last year and that Military Calibres were now allowed.

My understanding was that the rules for France were changed last year and that Military Calibres were now allowed.

Not when I was there in December 2010 and January 2011! In fact it is likely that it will NEVER EVER change.

Belgium has, just recently, dropped that similar prohibition however.

Have a look at this web site:
http://www.chasseurdefrance.com
Its the 'Fédération Nationale Des Chasseurs' though you will have to translate it. In it you will find all the categories and classements listing. All military calibers are not allowed.

Dont bother getting the permis de chasse book, unless its been updated. I have the 2005 edition, it only mention the 7x64 saying its the most popular here in France.

It was just too light at 9.8 grams in factory ammunition (150 grains)! Now Sako did at one time make a 155 grain soft point round nose so I presume that Scandanavia has somewhere in its game laws a 10 gram specification?

enfieldspares, FYI in Norway we have the following requirements (google translate used!):

Regulations governing the practice of hunting and trapping
Chapter 5 Weapons and ammunition
§ 16 Requirements for rifle ammunition

For moose, red deer, fallow deer, caribou, wild boar, wild sheep, musk ox or hunting of wolves and bears, use ammunition with expanding projectiles with a minimum weight of 9 grams and with the following energy estimate:

a) for ammunition with bullet weight between 9 grams (138.9 grains) and 10 grams (154 grain) should be a minimum impact energy of 2700 joules (275 kgm) measured at 100 meters distance, E100.
b) ammunition with bullet weight of 10 grams or more shall be a minimum impact energy of 2200 joules (225 kgm) measured at 100 meters distance, E100.

When hunting with a rifle for deer, beaver and lynx or killing of wolverines and lynx, use ammunition with expanding projectiles and impact energy must be at least 980 joules (100 kgm) measured at 100 meters distance, E100.

Last edited:
Silverfox do you have a permis du chasse or a permis du Tir? Please pardon my poor French grammar.

The reason I ask is because I may be mistaken (nay entirely wrong) but thought that it was possible to have so called "military calibres" in France on a permis du Tir but not on a hunting permit.
I have several friends who have passed through France on several occasions carrying 7.62mm rifles en-route to competitions in Germany and they have never had any difficulties. So I wouldn't imagine having any difficulty transiting the country with "military" calibres but wouldn't even think of taking my .308 hunting there, just as well that I have a couple of rifles that fall into the category 5 hunting arms grouping.

I only have a permis du chasse, so you may be correct. But your freiends were just passing through and not actually trying to hunt.
In 6 years of hunting here I have only been 'checked out' by the gardes de chasse once..

In France it is illegal to use any gun that uses a military calibre - so 30-06 and 6.5 x 55 are out.
Ok they arent illegal but you need a license with the correct categories and you wont get that for a visit. You should however soon no longer have to worry as the French announced through FESAC that they are revising the rules and the only calibres on the special list will be 7.62 x 51, 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39. However how soon soon is I cant tell!

Silverfox am I correct that when you attend a driven shoot there is a legal requirement for the organisers to see your permis du chasse before you allowed to take part ? You are quite correct my friends were only passing through France and wouldn't be hunting, but I think if they had written confirmation of a competition they would be permitted to use their 7.62mm rifles in France if my understanding of what I have read is correct.
I,m currently trying to work my way through the system in order to obtain a permis du chasse temporaire for the end of the month as I've finally arranged a couple of days sanglier battue in Normandy.

Bashing Bambi that's interesting, do you think the status of .308win will stay the same as it is now then.

Silverfox am I correct that when you attend a driven shoot there is a legal requirement for the organisers to see your permis du chasse before you allowed to take part ? You are quite correct my friends were only passing through France and wouldn't be hunting, but I think if they had written confirmation of a competition they would be permitted to use their 7.62mm rifles in France if my understanding of what I have read is correct.
I,m currently trying to work my way through the system in order to obtain a permis du chasse temporaire for the end of the month as I've finally arranged a couple of days sanglier battue in Normandy.

Bashing Bambi that's interesting, do you think the status of .308win will stay the same as it is now then.
As I dont know what the current status is (do they deem it different to 7.62 x 51?) I couldnt answer that!

Back