Thread: Shooting on new permission

Shooting on new permission

A friend of mine has recently got permission to shoot rabbits on some local ground. The ground has been previously cleared for a rimfire.
    Now my understanding was that, providing the land has been cleared for the calibre he is using, he can go as soon as he has been given permission from the landowner. However, a lady at the firearms department has told him that he needs to get written permission from the landowner, send it in to the firearms department, the department will them write back to him and state whether he can shoot there or not and from what date.
    Is this correct and have I been doing it wrong?

It might be they want to name the land on his FAC? or maybe they need to do the land check but will only send someone out when they know they will not be wasting their time - hence the need for permission confirmation.

You agree that this is not normal procedure then?

I am assuming he does not have an 'open' ticket' or it wouldnt be an issue, so it has been recently granted ?

In which case I would say it would be normal procedure if they want to name the land on his ticket, which often happens.

Swampy will know.

The ticket has been recently issued but the lady said that he always had to do this when he is offered a new piece of land to shoot.
    I have never done anything like this as all the piees of ground I shoot over had been cleared for the calibre (or bigger) that I am using. I have always got written permission but only for my own piece of mind and have never sent it off.

That's normal, because he's new they want to know where he's shooting and have the option to restrict where he goes, because you aren't new they don't want to.

I think after a period of good behaviour on his part they will remove that and have it as land deemed suitable by the police etc, only. I hear that people can have the specific named land thing lifted once they start getting chances to shoot in other places.

First time I've heard of this. I was of the understanding that naming land had stopped quite a while ago. Obviously to get shooting over land on your certificate you have to supply proof but not every bit of land you get so it can be vetted. That only needs to be done if it hasn't been previously cleared.

Someone with the "chief officer of police" condition on their certificate can shoot on any land that has previously been cleared for the calibre by the "chief officer of police" for that area and that they have permission to shoot over. Written permission is not a legal requirement.

In fact, if a landowner tells you (or preferably signs to say) that the land has been previously cleared and you shoot on it only to find later it hasn't, you're not committing an offence but the landowner is.

land

Quote Originally Posted by Andy L
    The ticket has been recently issued but the lady said that he always had to do this when he is offered a new piece of land to shoot.
    I have never done anything like this as all the piees of ground I shoot over had been cleared for the calibre (or bigger) that I am using. I have always got written permission but only for my own piece of mind and have never sent it off.
    hi andy, is the lady firearms officer in question the one for east sussex, ms tidmarsh?

Could be but I think he is in Kent, not Sussex. Although he is very close to sussex so there is a possibility.
    I will find out. Why, has she a reputation?