Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working up a load

Working up a load

Hi,

just been reloading some .243 brass with 87g hornady bthp using my new Lee Classic Loader setup, which is great fun BTW I am setting the bullets at 2.700 OAL and am using CCI LR BR primers with Norma Brass.

Anyhow, the point is, I decided to start at 35g, 36g, and 37g - 5 each. But am now wondering if i should have been doing 0.5 intervals as well, or if it's just wasting bullets??????????????????

Looking to test them out this coming week

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Hi,

just been reloading some .243 brass with 87g hornady bthp using my new Lee Classic Loader setup, which is great fun BTW I am setting the bullets at 2.700 OAL and am using CCI LR BR primers with Norma Brass.

Anyhow, the point is, I decided to start at 35g, 36g, and 37g - 5 each. But am now wondering if i should have been doing 0.5 intervals as well, or if it's just wasting bullets??????????????????

Looking to test them out this coming week
    I have gone through the same testing as you with my .243.

I did it with H414 AND varget.

With the Varget the best groups were with 37.5 & 38.5 loads. the 38grain load was ***** and the 37 & 39 wasnt much better. So If I hadnt tried the 37.5 I would have missed the best load.

Of course there may have been an even better load at 37.75 or 37.25 but you have to stop somewhere.

If you go on the 6mmbr forum a lot of the top 6mm bench rest shooters trial in .2grain increments so it is up to you.

My advice is to use .5 increments as a minimum.

BTW, what powders are you doing your trials with ???

I have just ran the Quickload and checked the 6mmbr site and the favoured powders are;

IMR 4350
    H 4350
    VIT 550
    H 414
    IMR 4895

Good luck with the trials.

P.S I always seem to find the best accuracy just below the maximum recommended loads.
    Last edited by robbobsam; 06-02-2011 at 22:31.

PKL - I think you going down the right lines. with a new load i always start with 1.0gn intervals. i wouldnt start off at any smaller intervals. Once you have your results, then you can start going into smaller amounts, say 0.3gn smallest but probably 0.5gn to be honest. If you still think you can eek a little more out then refine further.

One word of advice, keep everything the same while load developing. I know its probably teaching you to suck eggs but be patient, doing 3x 5 shot groups will take a while unless you have some really heavy barrel. If your impatient, your wasting your time with load developing because you wont get consistent results ie barrel temp, wind etc. Enjoy and show us the results!

pkl

1/ you can either reload up a batch of ammo starting at the lowest powder weight and increase to the max by 1/2 grain increments I would use 3 round per batch. then on a nice still day using a good rest the same shooting position with at least 2 min's between shots shoot a target marking the groups on the target and look for the best and tightest group . what you should find is the tightest set groups will be the weight increments that are close to each other i.e. 38.5 grs best group but & 38.0 & 39.0 next best

2/ load the same from min-max weights just one round (mark these rounds 1-15 or however many write on loaded case with felt pen bullet No and powder weight) i.e.- 1/38.5grs then 2/39 grs
    then on a nice still day using a good rest the same shooting position with at least 2 min's between shots shoot a target aim for same point (don't worry about where on target bullets land) with the scope,spotting scope or walk to the target & mark it with shot number (this will coencide with powder weight you recorded ) . what you are looking for is the best group/shots clostest together with ammo that has the closest powder weight. i.e you may get shot No's 1,6 & 13 overlaping in a small group ,then shot No 8,9,&10 a 1/2" group this is the group you are looking for you have the "sweet spot "area for you rifle. this is best done @200m or more but 100m ok

which ever one you chose once you get the best group you can then fine tune by going down to .3 grain or even .1 grain as you then have a very small weight are to work with.

if using test No 2 I use a spotting scope and the same type of target and mark on my target where the bullets land I know both these seem laborious and time consuming but you will get the best results this way I promises you make sure you carry our consistent brass/case preparation as this can have a massive accuracy impact.

hope this helps .......neil
    Last edited by griffshrek; 06-02-2011 at 22:40. Reason: update

I am currently looking at the same question. I have the Lyman and a Speer reloading manual. The max load for my 270 in the lyman manual is 2 whole grains higher than the speer. Who's advice should I take?

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    I have gone through the same testing as you with my .243.

I did it with H414 AND varget.

With the Varget the best groups were with 37.5 & 38.5 loads. the 38grain load was ***** and the 37 & 39 wasnt much better. So If I hadnt tried the 37.5 I would have missed the best load.

Of course there may have been an even better load at 37.75 or 37.25 but you have to stop somewhere.

If you go on the 6mmbr forum a lot of the top 6mm bench rest shooters trial in .2grain increments so it is up to you.

My advice is to use .5 increments as a minimum.

BTW, what powders are you doing your trials with ???

I have just ran the Quickload and checked the 6mmbr site and the favoured powders are;

IMR 4350
    H 4350
    VIT 550
    H 414
    IMR 4895

Good luck with the trials.

P.S I always seem to find the best accuracy just below the maximum recommended loads.
    Hi,

I am using Varget as well. You say you found the best group at 37.5, but tested up to 38.5! I was concerned going higher than 37 on the grounds that the Hogdon site lists a 90g bullet max at 36.5, and 85g at 38 - hence I thought, well, 37 or 37.5 must be the max not to exceed for 87g?? Maybe I should prep a few more rounds for 35.5, 36.5 and 37.5 as well.

I am pretty happy with 5 rounds of each, as I will take an entire morning to go through this exercise, and as I don't have a spotting scope, will need to walk the 100m after every shot to have a look and mark it..hence, the barrel will probably cool down just fine However, I can of course also do 3 rounds, and just pull the bullets/powder for future use of the 'other 2' previously loaded rounds of the '5' batches...should be safe, right?

I will of course have a think about the other ideas from the other postings too - many thanks.
    Last edited by PKL; 07-02-2011 at 08:34.

Account Suspended
    From memory I am pretty sure I only trialed H414 with the 87 grain V-Max, the reason being I had 3 different 5 shots groups that printed very tight groups at 3 different ranges. I had found the "good load" for that bullet and stopped trialling. H414 is a well known "good load" for 87 grain V-Max and I am pretty sure it will work with the other 87 grain Hornady bullet too.

This guy is using 87grain V-Max in his .243 with of H414 >>>

With Bergers I trialled Varget and H414 in 3 different weight bullets and found that the Varget literally printed bullet on bullet with the 80grainers at 100yds and was still .5" at 200yds and will still maintain 1.5-2" groups at 300yds.

What is worth trying is testing loads at 100yds, 200yds and longer because it certainly doesnt follow that a 1" group @100 would generate a 2" group @ 200 and 3" group @ 300yds. You can only test at longer ranges if there is no wind though as the wind will play havoc at extended ranges.

Good Luck Mate

BE SAFE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
    I am currently looking at the same question. I have the Lyman and a Speer reloading manual. The max load for my 270 in the lyman manual is 2 whole grains higher than the speer. Who's advice should I take?
    I'm pretty new to the reloading thing as well and this is something that amazed me. You can buy a cartridge specific "Load Book" which basically would have the data for your 270 from all the manuals, it is a worthwhile investment for a few quid. I have one of these for my 308W plus the Lyman manual plus a few other books and some of the max loads by one source are below the starting loads from another source.

In the end you have to use some common sense and work up carefully. It has taken me several years to get from low pressure plinking loads up to my full house, book max deer load. I've learnt a lot on the way and would recommend a similar course if you have the time to work up.

What I will say is that the absolute max book load I could find shows no signs of pressure in my rifle and, by and large, loads at or near max always seem to be accurate enough for my ends. In future I'd probably work up in one grain increments to the max book load and then load a few of those and shoot them for accuracy. If they shot into an inch I'd call it good to go. Your rifle might be very different however but in your situation I'd work up the Lyman load from the book minimum and watch carefully for pressure and I'd get myself a copy of the appropriate Load Book to see just what the normal range for the 270 is.

Cheers, just ordered one 6.25 bargain.

I ordered from this company
    http://www.gunbooks.co.uk/cat-ammo.cfm

Might be a usefull link for others.

Ian
    Last edited by Mesmer; 07-02-2011 at 10:04.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I'm pretty new to the reloading thing as well and this is something that amazed me. You can buy a cartridge specific "Load Book" which basically would have the data for your 270 from all the manuals, it is a worthwhile investment for a few quid. I have one of these for my 308W plus the Lyman manual plus a few other books and some of the max loads by one source are below the starting loads from another source.

In the end you have to use some common sense and work up carefully. It has taken me several years to get from low pressure plinking loads up to my full house, book max deer load. I've learnt a lot on the way and would recommend a similar course if you have the time to work up.

What I will say is that the absolute max book load I could find shows no signs of pressure in my rifle and, by and large, loads at or near max always seem to be accurate enough for my ends. In future I'd probably work up in one grain increments to the max book load and then load a few of those and shoot them for accuracy. If they shot into an inch I'd call it good to go. Your rifle might be very different however but in your situation I'd work up the Lyman load from the book minimum and watch carefully for pressure and I'd get myself a copy of the appropriate Load Book to see just what the normal range for the 270 is.
    Hiya caorach,

Something else to bear in mind is that the most accurate load is rarely the load that has the highest velocity. I am currently using 80 grain bergers with varget and according to quickload my load is very mild indeed. It's 3025fps velocity is quite slow for an 80grain bullet but for accuracy its fantastic. Whilst velocity is great for a laser like trajectory, its no good if it misses the target. I tend to use load manuals as a good safe guide and only and rarely venture outside the boundries laid down in books. I am more interested in really tight groups.

I hope I manage to find a 4000fps 55grain nosler BT load that one holes at 200yds.