open licence

Start by making an introduction about yourself as per the forum instructions. ;)

Then post the wording of the relevant condition(s) you are concerned about on your FAC, (in full) - that will give the good folks on here something to work with so they can tell you.

Just checked my ticket to ensure it is open, which thanfully it is. Never really paid much attention to this part but I have authority for humane dispatch. Is this usual?

Thanks

Ian

I have authority for humane dispatch. Is this usual?

You're going to have to quote the whole condition for a decent answer. It might be the standard 'expanding ammo' condition you are referring to, and unless it is modified or has a linked condition for the relevant firearm then it might be that it's not as all encompassing as it might seem.

Phone the local flo they'll put you right to the conditions which they if any have been placed on the use of your certificate .

Not for someone on here to discipher then you get your nuts kicked .

Ask the issuing force then your in the right .

Adamant thats pish sorry to say .( there is very little land that is deemed suitible by the cheif office of police if any at all ) must be a English wording .

hello Widows son,

same wording in wales also, you need to get the police out to check suitability of land if it is not cleared for the calibre of rifle you intend to shoot over it.

unless of course you have an open ticket.

"land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police and Over which the certificate holder has Lawful authority to shoot

I think the fact that you have Lawful authority to shoot just about covers all my ground i dont go anyware that i dont have permision.

"land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police and Over which the certificate holder has Lawful authority to shoot

I think the fact that you have Lawful authority to shoot just about covers all my ground i dont go anyware that i dont have permision.

I don't understand

nor have i, but not everyone is as law abiding as us!:D

Well i a licence says you have permision to shoot over land you have lawful authority then that must mean all your ground . A closed licence that i seen had the name of the farm on it and nowwhere else

i think you can have more than one peice of land on a "Closed" ticket but the land will need to be assesed by the good fellows in the police

Well i a licence says you have permision to shoot over land you have lawful authority then that must mean all your ground . A closed licence that i seen had the name of the farm on it and nowwhere else

If it says what it says in the bit you quoted about the land 'being deemed suitable' by the Police as well as you having lawful authority, then I think many of us English FAC-holders would consider that FAC to be 'closed'.

Phone the local flo they'll put you right to the conditions which they if any have been placed on the use of your certificate .

Ask the issuing force then your in the right.
...asuming they're right, of course.

Adamant thats pish sorry to say .( there is very little land that is deemed suitible by the cheif office of police if any at all ) must be a English wording .
'pish' as in ridiculous system? Certainly.
'pish' as in factually inaccurate? Alas, no.

It might well be an English wording. It's certainly written in English, but 6pointer seems to have something similar, and he claims to be frae Scotland.

It is what we English tend to call a closed certificate, I think.
'Closed' because you may not shoot wherever you have lawful permission until the land has been 'deemed suitable' for your calibre by the Chief Constable's ballistic experts.

Sorry mate i have been stalking for 30+ yearsand my certificate dose not have any restictions on it. We dont get land checks were i am. The only time i have ever been asked to get lamd checked was by and english force as i was getting a lads certificate open (BALDY OFF UK VARMINTING) His office phoned strathclyde police to check all the grounds i had and see if it was suitable for a 6.5. At that time i shot a .270. My officer at pit street told him were to go and check it him self if he was worried. Result open cert for english stalker and red face for english force.

I misunderstood, then:oops:

I thought in this bit you were quoting your own certificate's conditions, which therefore would include the bit about the police having to deem the land suitable.

Open = "land over which the certificate holder has lawful authority to shoot"

Closed = "land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police and Over which the certificate holder has Lawful authority to shoot"

Adam.

Ask the issuing force then your in the right .

Adamant thats pish sorry to say .( there is very little land that is deemed suitible by the cheif office of police if any
at all ) must be a English wording .

...asuming they're right, of course.

'pish' as in ridiculous system? Certainly.
'pish' as in factually inaccurate? Alas, no.

It might well be an English wording. It's certainly written in English, but 6pointer seems to have something similar, and he claims to be frae Scotland.

Sorry mate i have been stalking for 30+ yearsand my certificate dose not have any restictions on it. We dont get land checks were i am. The only time i have ever been asked to get lamd checked was by and english force as i was getting a lads certificate open (BALDY OFF UK VARMINTING) His office phoned strathclyde police to check all the grounds i had and see if it was suitable for a 6.5. At that time i shot a .270. My officer at pit street told him were to go and check it him self if he was worried. Result open cert for english stalker and red face for english force.

I misunderstood, then:oops:

I thought in this bit you were quoting your own certificate's conditions, which therefore would include the bit about the police having to deem the land suitable.

Both are conditions of your certificate,lawful authority to use what ever firearm on what ever piece of ground or species must be adhered to
Give the constabulary the wording that suits your needs no what restricts your requirements that's what is put on the certificates in Scotland .

The chief officer of police will not check ground due to conditions change daily ,weather ,night shooting etc ,the police issue you a certificate and expect you to adhere to the conditions that" you " have set on your application

The reason in Scotland all the certificates are open I've had a certificate for 33 years I wouldn't know what a closed certificate was it would be no use having in Scotland ,every time I wanted to go to a invite I'd have to ask for the police to check the ground ,(they can hardly turn out to suspicious death) lawful authority covers just about all areas .

Every time I have people from England ,in the syndicate I go through the same problems with there certificates wording .

Which just goes to show they never read the home office guidelines if they did there would be no requirement for these threads

Robert,

As silver tongued as ever!

The OP lives in Devizes - the last time I checked, Wiltshire was still in England and the influence of the Scottish legal system hadn't penetrated as that far as yet, more's the pity. Let's hope you retain such a pragmatic system once Kenny Macaskill gets his hands on it, given his unenlightened views on all things shooting related.

The wording I quoted was absolutely correct and is pretty much standard on English and Welsh FACs. Some firearms licensing authorities are more enlightened than others and only issue a more restricted condition (colloquially known as a 'closed' condition) for the first few months, thus requiring new land to be agreed by the police before use. My FLO was happy to do this from a map in the case of the syndicate. Other restrictions include mentoring etc. As a new FAC holder, my mentoring condition was lifted after six weeks and the 'closed' condition was removed after six months.

Unfortunately, other firearms teams down here are far, far more restrictive and are reluctant to issue 'open' FACs to many sporting shooters for years - some wait until second grant and others longer still. You and I both know one stalker with the ridiculous situation of having his FAC opened for Scotland after a long fight with his issuing force, despite showing perfectly good reason and need, but have it remain closed for his home county in Wales - this achieving a simultaneously open and closed FAC, which really shows the arbitrary nature of the system south of the border!

Adam.

Back