Sparrowhawk on its kill

Lakey

A couple of years ago I visited a bit of my stalking one afternoon, in the Autumn. I was driving up the boundry track alongside a field of wheat stubble that was just about to be ploughed in. I rounded a corner and spotted this female sparrowhawk on a white pigeon/dove which it had just caught. The pigeon was still alive, and the sparrowhawk gave me a kind of defiant 'try taking this off me if you're hard enough' stare. The bird was about 30 yards in front of me so I grabbed the camera and took a few shots through the windscreen of the jeep. Here is one of the better ones....

<
P1020696b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics mate, years ago i did a fair bit of pigeon decoying, i lost count of how many times my decoys where attacked by sparrowhawks and always very reluctant to give up there catch, quite funny to watch them trying to pluck a floater whilst bouncing up and down..

Very nice picture I also remember decoying for woodies and decoys attacked by sparrow hawks on one occasion a kestral tried to take one out amazing.

Great photo! :cool:

I came home in September last year to find a female sparrowhawk noshing on a pigeon bold as brass on my neighbour's driveway! Sorry for the quality it was taken on a phone through the windscreen...

Sparrowhawk-001.jpg

Caught this wee fella in my neighbours garden a couple of years ago (you can see a blackies wing feathersif you look closely)

P4050008.jpg

Here is a photo I took this morning of an immature male sparrowhawk, sat in the tree in our front garden. The picture was taken through the glass of our bedroom window, so sorry about the fuzzy image.

P1120010.jpg

Back