Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proofing

Proofing

Hmmm well I finally got the .280 back, proofed and now blacked , now I just have to assemble it and fit it up. I had the barrel removed for blacking so the threads and tenon is totally blacked too as is the front face of the receiver. There should be no horrors of salts growing out of the threaded joint as can sometimes happen.

Out of interest I took a look at the bore after all it was proofed before Christmas but was stuck in limbo at the proof house until the third week of January. To my surprise I saw that the bore had not been cleaned at all. I sent it to them clean too.

Now how can they really do a proper inspection if the bore is not cleaned after the proof firing?

In an article on proofing of revolvers in the old Guns Review, it was a custom built PPC revolver, they fired a round in each chamber then cleaned and inspected each one and the bore for any faults. I now wonder if this was done as there was a camera present.

Oh well I have now cleaned the bore once and will give it a going over with Forest Bore Foam tomorrow when I can let it sit and work. It was 10 pm when I got it back home so too late for more than a quick cleaning tonight. Meanwhile I have screwed the barrel in hand tight and put it into the stock to see how it looks. With the 6x42 Karl Kaps scope in a P-H alloy one piece mount the rifle weighs 7lbs 10ozs which I thought quite reasonable. Once I can get the barrel fitted properly and then the foresight fitted, need to drill and tap for that, a slight modification to the Lyman 57 SME will see that matching the countour of the rear bridge the the final fitting into the stock can be done ready for fire forming some brass. Oh yes and I need to make a thread protector for the barrel.

SD Regular
    Any pics? My 280 is still "in limbo" in that I am still looking for 'scope mounts low enough to allow use of the original iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Any pics? My 280 is still "in limbo" in that I am still looking for 'scope mounts low enough to allow use of the original iron sights.
    What rifle and action are you using?

I will get some done tomorrow hopefully, it's dark now and I am just off to bed as I am tired.

However the mount I have tried is the #26 made for the Remington 740, 742, 760 and it fits the Monarch action quite well. P-H claim a nominal height of 0.140". Right now I am not sure this will stay on the .280 as I nicked it off the Majestic just to have a look. I have an original Titan 3-9x42 with 30mm tube that I was thinking of using on the .280 if so I will get some steel Hilver rings for the Brno ZKK and modify them. I believe that I can do so in a way that will allow me to retain the windage arm of the Lyman 57 SME receiver sight with the scope fitted ..................... we shall see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm well I finally got the .280 back, proofed and now blacked , now I just have to assemble it and fit it up. I had the barrel removed for blacking so the threads and tenon is totally blacked too as is the front face of the receiver. There should be no horrors of salts growing out of the threaded joint as can sometimes happen.

Out of interest I took a look at the bore after all it was proofed before Christmas but was stuck in limbo at the proof house until the third week of January. To my surprise I saw that the bore had not been cleaned at all. I sent it to them clean too.

Now how can they really do a proper inspection if the bore is not cleaned after the proof firing?

In an article on proofing of revolvers in the old Guns Review, it was a custom built PPC revolver, they fired a round in each chamber then cleaned and inspected each one and the bore for any faults. I now wonder if this was done as there was a camera present.

Oh well I have now cleaned the bore once and will give it a going over with Forest Bore Foam tomorrow when I can let it sit and work. It was 10 pm when I got it back home so too late for more than a quick cleaning tonight. Meanwhile I have screwed the barrel in hand tight and put it into the stock to see how it looks. With the 6x42 Karl Kaps scope in a P-H alloy one piece mount the rifle weighs 7lbs 10ozs which I thought quite reasonable. Once I can get the barrel fitted properly and then the foresight fitted, need to drill and tap for that, a slight modification to the Lyman 57 SME will see that matching the countour of the rear bridge the the final fitting into the stock can be done ready for fire forming some brass. Oh yes and I need to make a thread protector for the barrel.
    Maybe it's because your Proofing House is just a bureaucratic sheep pen that takes you money and does nothing but subject your firearm to stress unnecessarily?? As a gunsmith I must say that this notion of proofing rifles and handguns and subjecting them to a visual inspection seems ludicrous. Fire "Proof" loads in a revolver that has simply been rebarreled?? (As most PPC guns were when I was building them) What good does stressing the cylinder do??

I know you will cry propriety! How do I know it's safe otherwise??!!?? Well, if the man who did the work can't be trusted, nor the materials he used, then you're spending your money in the wrong places. Just a Yankee observation and sympathetic rant....~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Maybe it's because your Proofing House is just a bureaucratic sheep pen that takes you money and does nothing but subject your firearm to stress unnecessarily?? As a gunsmith I must say that this notion of proofing rifles and handguns and subjecting them to a visual inspection seems ludicrous. Fire "Proof" loads in a revolver that has simply been rebarreled?? (As most PPC guns were when I was building them) What good does stressing the cylinder do??

I know you will cry propriety! How do I know it's safe otherwise??!!?? Well, if the man who did the work can't be trusted, nor the materials he used, then you're spending your money in the wrong places. Just a Yankee observation and sympathetic rant....~Muir
    like a lot of things in the uk ,outdated,oldfashioned,inefeciant and stuck in the past unfortunately.

I am afraid I will have to agree on these comments. The British Proof system seems to be just another tax. The proof houses I doubt would survive in a proper commercial world but they have a captive market . They have tried in some ways to modernise but I suspect they are just ways to increase profits.

The proof marks are now etched and not stamped and lots of care must be taken in polishing not to remove the proof marks as they are very lightly done now:-

This one has just about survived and the area around it not polshed as well as the rest of the barrel. It could not be or the markings would have become illegable .

Traditional stamped marks are much more robust.

There is some odd discolouration in the fine grooves of the front bridge.

With the P-H #26 one piece mount holding the Kaps 6x42 scope

The stock will still have to be replaced once I can get the funds to get a new one and I like this slim Schnable type of the Featherweight so it's probably what I will get rather than the Monarchs style which is closer to the Rem 700 in style. This will mean more working inletting for the safety as well as the barrel as it's a heavier profile. The rifle with scope in this stock weighs 7lbs 10ozs.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by conibear View Post
    like a lot of things in the uk ,outdated,oldfashioned,inefeciant and stuck in the past unfortunately.
    conibear,

I could not agree with you more. Working as a public servant for the last 20yrs has opened my eyes to the state this country is in with just about everything, not just gunsmithing.

Everything is about getting the tick in the box and nothing is about doing a good job anymore. Everyone is worried about being PC and nobody tells the truth anymore. I watch a program last night on Hong Kong and how they teach children maths in school, it really opened my eyes about why the british education system is falling down the international league tables and with that drop in education our skills in later life and the countries ability to compete internationally.
    I hate to think where we will be in 50yrs time.

Right guys a bit of correct terminology here, a firearm is not "Proofed" its "Proved", it does not go for "Proofing" but "Proving".
    After Proving it is marked with "Proof marks" and a Certificate of "Proof" is issued.

WB.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Right guys a bit of correct terminology here, a firearm is not "Proofed" its "Proved", it does not go for "Proofing" but "Proving".
    After Proving it is marked with "Proof marks" and a Certificate of "Proof" is issued.

WB.
    So true. It's nice to see correct terminology used isn't it?

ps. You do know that facial hair growing on the top lip is called a moustache and not beard, don't you?. Sorry, must be feeling mischievous today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    So true. It's nice to see correct terminology used isn't it?

ps. You do know that facial hair growing on the top lip is called a moustache and not beard, don't you?. Sorry, must be feeling mischievous today...
    good observation tamus, you got me there

WB.