Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped by Police

Stopped by Police

Recently a friend asked if I could look after his ground whilst he went away on a sabbatical in Australia for 6 months. Before he left he cleared it with the farmers that I would be controlling vermin and deer in his absence to which they agreed.

I phoned the farmers in the afternoon to inform them that I was heading out that night after rabbits and foxes and everything appeared to be in order.

We had shot one fox and a number of rabbits when we moved to another part of the farm. I understand that from previous outings of incidents that one local individual has serious issues with people shooting / ferreting near his property. So I opted not to shoot near his property but waited till we were down in the lower fields and out of sight.

As we were heading back up the headland some 15 - 20 mins later and passing through a small copse we saw a car driving towards us blocking our exit. As we neared the car, bumper blue lights came on. Well you can imagine how we felt, I drove up slowly to the unmarked police car, dipped my lights then took the keys out the ignition. My first reaction was to try and defuse the situation and I informed the officers that we had permission to be there and that we had our certs with us. The officer then informed that we didnít as the land owner told them that we were poaching. It was then I had that sinking feeling in my stomach wondering how this was going to pan out.
    To cut a long story short, the police checks on us turned out positive i.e. vehicle and FAC's were correct, although I had to phone the farmer to get him to vouch for me to confirm that we were legally authorised by him to shoot there. We were shooting on fields that did not belong to this individual!
    I told the police about past incidents involving the caller and his rants and waving hockey sticks
    and that he is basically an idiot. They said that before they came down to find us they had a chat with him and that was their impression of him.
    Luckily everything worked out in our favour but there was a real potential for things to go wrong with dire consequences.
    Just goes to show inform farmers, carry your FAC or a photocpy of the your fac it makes the police's job easier and it means you'll be on your way quicker. The whole incident lasted about 20 minutes. Long enough...

That'll be Pete's bit of ground then, heard he had a nutter thereabouts, didn't realise he was that crackers!

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

We have the same problem on a peice of ground we shoot, the police were called on several occasions, it ended when they said they would charge the said person with waisting police time.

so whos land were you on?
    did you have permission?

Along with my FAC I carry a letter of permission from the farmer giving me permission to shoot on his farms just for this sort of incident. I had one busy body asking whether I had permission - the letter quickly proved I did.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    so whos land were you on?
    did you have permission?
    Yes we had permission, the land belonged to the farmer who had given us permission.

Through my own previous experience with the police, it's a good Idea to ring the Local Station,
    let them know your intentions with regards to your lamping etc etc.
    That way your not waisting their time, and more inportantly their not wasting yours.
    they'll soon get to know who you are.

Rgds. Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Through my own previous experience with the police, it's a good Idea to ring the Local Station,
    let them know your intentions with regards to your lamping etc etc.
    That way your not waisting their time, and more inportantly their not wasting yours.
    they'll soon get to know who you are.

Rgds. Buck.
    Ring the police and tell them where you will be, times, reg number etc and get an incident / call log number. If you are challenged on the ground as a result of a third party making a call, then this reference number makes things a lot quicker to sort out with the officers who attend the scene. AStill got to have the other documents with you though.

The police only need to radio in to the station with your name and they will know more about you than you do ! Why carry anything on you or even let them know before hand because they will still do the radio checks !
    Last edited by 375 mag; 09-02-2011 at 19:03. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    The police only need to radio in to the station with your name and they will know more about you than you do ! Why carry anything on you or even let them know before hand because they will still do the radio checks !
    Below is a form issued by my County Police, sensible and helpful to all and prevents nutters and antis from causing aggravation.

`LAMPING` - NIGHT SHOOTING.
    To assist Cumbria Constabulary to ensure `lamping` [fox/rabbit] is carried out by suitably authorised individuals and on authorised land, we would be grateful, should you carry out such an activity, you would advise us of the following :
    Your name.
    Details of any vehicle you will be using.
    Name of the land you will be visiting.
    Your anticipated start and finish time.
    Ring : 0845 3300247 .

Remember !!
    Always identify your target - never shoot at a set of eyes.
    Always ensure you have a safe backstop.
    Never shoot over brows of hills or into bushes or woodland.
    Always be aware of the possibility of ricochets.
    Always be aware of roads, footpaths and houses.

Firearms Licensing Department, Cumbria Constabulary.

This document is full of commonsense and should be adopted by all forces and would stop some of the horror stories we read about.

HWH.