Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training new dog

training new dog

I have a new springer bitch which I bred from my own stock rytex and badgercourt all the bitches I have kept and trained for pheasant shooting have turned out good working dogs. I have never trained a dog for tracking deer. I have a six month old bitch never been in the house and ready to be trained for tracking deer anybody got any tips were to start maybe a advise on a book that I could by…..Alan

I tried my lab bitch which i keep for bird shooting she was great pulled down a wounded roe by the neck and held it untill i got there.Lets hope she is not going to be had mouthed for the coming season when on the duck pond.
    Last edited by solo gun; 17-02-2011 at 07:28.

training new dog

Simplest books to follow are:
    Guy Wallace :Training Dogs for Woodland Stalking- Good no nonsense book
    Carolyn Krause:Try Tracking The Puppy Tracking Primer-bit American but useful
    John Jeanneney:Tracking dogs for finding Wounded deer-2nd edition better than first
    Niels Sondergaard.Working dogs for deer-Fantastic book very difficult to get hold of.
    PM me for prices
    www.muntjactrading.co.uk
    First three in stock but not on website yet

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Simplest books to follow are:
    Guy Wallace :Training Dogs for Woodland Stalking- Good no nonsense book
    Carolyn Krause:Try Tracking The Puppy Tracking Primer-bit American but useful
    John Jeanneney:Tracking dogs for finding Wounded deer-2nd edition better than first
    Niels Sondergaard.Working dogs for deer-Fantastic book very difficult to get hold of.
    PM me for prices
    www.muntjactrading.co.uk
    First three in stock but not on website yet
    with out offending Kit
    none of these books will actually help you that much
    as none of the books in question are based upon using spaniels for deer work...
    but if I was to choose one that may give you an insight and some guidance then it would be John Jeanneney's book
    good read and some vital insight on setting blood trails that will help
    Just training spaniels requires a different approach and it takes a crap working pup to make a good deer dog from the start
    but it takes a good experienced rough shooting dog that has had the number of birds/rabbits shot over it to make the exchange to deer work in it's stride
    there are the few exceptions but not that many
    all working dogs will normally find deer but may not in the way you require
    If the pup you hav is a good linage and you feel will make a good bird dog, then train it for that first
    when about 3-4 years old and you feel this dog is a cracker especialy on runners
    then start the conversion to deer because it should be mature enough to cope and have the ability and dedication to follow a blood trail for miles
    but they are not perfect
    just go steady
    ATB

Stone is spot on,better to get a dog more suited for deer work.Spaniels are kings of hunting not heel work and sitting still for extended periods,any dog will follow a trail if trained to but spaniels can be a handful for deer work,my first one used to bay along a deer trail,they are brill dogs but better wi a lab or pointer
    Stones advice on bringing on a spaniel is very good also,they are essentially birdy dogs,horses for courses
    best of luck

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Ive recently invested in a gwp because by working lab is superb at tracking a deer but doesnt have the cahoonies to hold one.
    We train any aggressiveness out of a working dog which is needed in a deer dog IMO.
    Different dogs for different work
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Ive recently invested in a gwp because by working lab is superb at tracking a deer but doesnt have the cahoonies to hold one.
    We train any aggressiveness out of a working dog which is needed in a deer dog IMO.
    Different dogs for different work
    Limulus every dog is different even within a breed,my labs will pull down and rag roe by the neck until dead,it is all about how you bring them on,any good deer dog has an aggressive streak in it
    My best friend gut shot a doe tonight and my pup got it and killed it,once they have the taste for it they are like trained wolves,the aggression is held until needed,all my labs will play with my children no probs and will let the farm cats play about them,see if your pointer will do that,lol,
    As I say every dog is different and so is the work given to them,best of luck with your german sure it'll be a credit to you
    PS check out the thread "thanks stone",this is what well trained labs can do on deer,bit easier to train than a german too,the krauts are good dogs also but they can be thugs
    Last edited by Wolverine; 10-02-2011 at 01:32.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Limulus every dog is different even within a breed,my labs will pull down and rag roe by the neck until dead,it is all about how you bring them on,any good deer dog has an aggressive streak in it
    My best friend gut shot a doe tonight and my pup got it and killed it,once they have the taste for it they are like trained wolves,the aggression is held until needed,all my labs will play with my children no probs and will let the farm cats play about them,see if your pointer will do that,lol,
    As I say every dog is different and so is the work given to them,best of luck with your german sure it'll be a credit to you
    PS check out the thread "thanks stone",this is what well trained labs can do on deer,bit easier to train than a german too,the krauts are good dogs also but they can be thugs
    I agree with you wolverine, we to have a choc lab that is as big and powerfull as an GWP and goes stright in on the throat and theys no letting go but he is also as soft mouthed as you like on game, but on the other hand out two little lab bitchs i think will strugle to go in when they get to that stage in there training !.
    I think dogs are like rifles, which ever we own and like we always going to be in favour of,
    they all do the job, you pay your money and take your choice, it would be a boring old world if we all had the same !
    CF

training nerw dog

Not offended Stone
    The man asked for books to read hence the list.
    Once information has been gathered he can then make an informed decision about whether to continue with a spaniel or if he is barking up the wrong tree.
    The BMH are holding a training day in april I would suggest that they are contacted perhaps the dog could be assessed then,went to the last one ,a nice day no pressure and dogs enjoyed it
    www.muntjactrading.co.uk

Sorry to hijack the thread a wee bit

Can anyone reccommend book/books for training a hpr to point on birds as well as doing the tracking work.

I'm thinking of gettin a hpr it will probably mainly be used for birds quartering biggish distances (pheas/partridge in rashes and hopefully walked grouse and grouse counting if i can get it up to standard). I have read a few threads over the years on here which all state better to leave the bird side well alone until it is an expierence tracking dog, i would like to read about it in a bit more detail.

Cheers in advance

training new dog

Bookwise I think you 're a bit stuffed for English Books.
    The versatile Gundog by Guy Wallace has a section at the back that deals with HPRs.
    German use of pointers different to ours but I have not found a book to deal with dual purpose dogs.
    Would be interested if you found one.
    P.S There is a nice picture of a springer on page 142 of Charles Smith-Jones book Muntjac that has just found a deer also a spaniel pup on the cover of the caroline Krausse Tracking bookwww.muntjactrading.co.uk