Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .243 Not Man enogh for Red Deer

.243 Not Man enogh for Red Deer

Over the last couple of years i have decided that .243 is not man enogh for Reds.
    In the future i intend to shoot boar, perhaps in france and i know that they do not allow military calibres into france.
    Generally speaking I shoot roe and foxes, with the odd trip for reds.
    A 30-06 was suggested to me because it is possible to load 100 grain and larger (i would use 100grain for Roe)
    I am looking for a calibre to shoot all species in the uk
    Could you let me have your thoughts, (I also need to take the rifle over to France)
    Regards
    TH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

I am pretty sure that you will not be allowed to take a 30.06 to France as it is a current millitry Caliber

I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement but let's not get into that

.270 will do everything you want... and more
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Cough 7mm08 cough

308 would be a good choice and you can use this in france too as it is not a military calibre.

You really would not want to be using 100gr bullets out of a 30-06 even if you are lucky enough to be able to get it to obturate the meat damage would be horiffic.

The 300 using 123gr soft points or 150gr Noslers has always been reliable for me in this calibre you can then step up to 150gr or even 168gr partitions for piggies.

For my French Boar trips the 308 is my weapon of choice

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Over the last couple of years i have decided that .243 is not man enogh for Reds.
    In the future i intend to shoot boar, perhaps in france and i know that they do not allow military calibres into france.
    Generally speaking I shoot roe and foxes, with the odd trip for reds.
    A 30-06 was suggested to me because it is possible to load 100 grain and larger (i would use 100grain for Roe)
    I am looking for a calibre to shoot all species in the uk
    Could you let me have your thoughts, (I also need to take the rifle over to France)
    Regards
    TH
    I have to disagree with what you are saying. I have been to the USA on 3 different hunting trips and I can assure you that a .243win with a good homeload is more than capable of taking a Red Deer at 150yds. I know wardens in the USA on hunting lodges that use them exclusively and claim that if you cannot shoot straight you may need "extra gun" to make up for your inaccuracy. Yes a 300win mag will take elk at 600yds and make a bigger mess when the bullet gets there and yes you have to moderate your range with larger deer with a .243, but as is pointed out to me regularly on here 99% of british stalking is done at sub 200yds so I would recommend that a .243 is ample if you can shoot straight and know where to aim.

The 30-06 is a great caliber as you can generate custom loads to equal the ft/lbs of the .243 with 110 grain bullets or you can generate a 220grain 2500fps donkey stoppers. The .30-06 is incredibly versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Cough 7mm08 cough
    Hi Bob
    What is it you are recomending and why are you recomending it
    Thanks
    TH

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    The 30-06 is a great caliber as you can generate custom loads to equal the ft/lbs of the .243 with 110 grain bullets or you can generate a 220grain 2500fps donkey stoppers. The .30-06 is incredibly versatile.
    30-06 is 7.62x63 in metric which makes it a military calibre.... .270 is based on 30-06 but designed for hunting
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    I have to disagree with what you are saying. I have been to the USA on 3 different hunting trips and I can assure you that a .243win with a good homeload is more than capable of taking a Red Deer at 150yds. I know wardens in the USA on hunting lodges that use them exclusively and claim that if you cannot shoot straight you may need "extra gun" to make up for your inaccuracy. Yes a 300win mag will take elk at 600yds and make a bigger mess when the bullet gets there and yes you have to moderate your range with larger deer with a .243, but as is pointed out to me regularly on here 99% of british stalking is done at sub 200yds so I would recommend that a .243 is ample if you can shoot straight and know where to aim.

It is not an option to shoot boar with .243
    I have experiance with reds remaining standing for a while when shot, both myself and a friend.
    He neck shoots if a second shot is required
    I belive to 30-06 is not allowed into france
    What are your thoughts
    TH

Quote Originally Posted by sweep 6.5x55 View Post
    308 would be a good choice and you can use this in france too as it is not a military calibre.

You really would not want to be using 100gr bullets out of a 30-06 even if you are lucky enough to be able to get it to obturate the meat damage would be horiffic.

The 300 using 123gr soft points or 150gr Noslers has always been reliable for me in this calibre you can then step up to 150gr or even 168gr partitions for piggies.

For my French Boar trips the 308 is my weapon of choice
    308 is a 7.62 NATO so I don't know why you think it is a non military round!

If you want just one rifle for everything you want to shoot and don't homeload, then the calibre has to be decided by the largest/toughest game you will take with it. There are lots of rounds which would suit your purpose such as .260, 7mm-08, .270, .300 win mag.