Advice & Tips For My Trip To Southern Africa oct 2008

Amberdog

Well ive spent hours looking at all the posting on the site and i may have just got the hang of what to do :lol:
I would like some tips for hunting in southern africa ive booked the trip with umlilo safaris has any one used this outfitter??????
will my 270 do the job or should i take the 30.06 im very happy with my 270, the 30 is new I will be culling if all go's right a trophy kudu,impala,springbuck,blesbuck,duiker
Advice needed.................

amberdog

More than 50 % of the woman have AIDS :( PS GOOD LUCK WITH THE HUNTING 8)

Re: Advice & Tips For My Trip To Southern Africa oct 200

Amberdog said:
Well ive spent hours looking at all the posting on the site and i may have just got the hang of what to do :lol:
I would like some tips for hunting in southern africa ive booked the trip with umlilo safaris has any one used this outfitter??????
will my 270 do the job or should i take the 30.06 im very happy with my 270, the 30 is new I will be culling if all go's right a trophy kudu,impala,springbuck,blesbuck,duiker
Advice needed.................

amberdog
apart from you might hav posted this in the wrong section and may not get looked at, as much by the right guys

my opinion does drift towards the 30-06, just you need to go out and put some confidence practice in as those kudu take a bit of stopping but can't see any reason why the 270 won't do the job but as i don't hav a 270 , but hav a 30-06 that is my reasoning
sure ther are those on here with a .270 that will be able to tell you more about it's suitability
sorry can't really help much more than this

Amberdog, I hope, and am sure you will have a cracking time ;) I have taken most plains game now and 2 of the big five. All my safaris I took my Tikka 270, and I shot nearly all my plains game with this calibre using a 150g bullet.

Having said that if you are going to take one rifle and you are going for Bull Kudu and who knows maybe Zebra ? I would take your 30.06, this will do it all. The 270 will as well but the extra bullet weight is probably the best way to go.

Let us know how you get on, I expect a full report with piccys on your return. Good luck.

Sikamalc

Thanks Guys

Well what can i say im sure my wife will be trilled that there is all sorts of aids out there and not just shooting aids :eek: :eek: :eek: how to tell her im not sure I would like to hear how you came across the info some tail i think :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: on a winters eve with good company a glass of sloe gin or cherry brandy and a roaring stag no i mean fire....im going to miss the bluddy rut on my ground.
I will dust the 30.06 off and get some practice
thanks again
amberdog

Amberdog, My heart bleeds! If you need someone to look after the rut on your ground, just let me know!!! :lol:

yup ,and me also
TIRED NEED MY BED
Trapper.
(buck !ruttbuckingstupifyinggonnaleavemylandtostrangersDUH)

Nite nite.

- pack light, laundry really does get done every day.

- don't forget to put your ammo in a locking cash box. You generally don't need more than a couple boxes.

- make sure paperwork is ready at the airport and make sure you grab your guncase and get to the SAPS office as soon as possible to avoid queuing.

- Take a jacket, evenings are cold and early morning drives on the back of the bakkie are also freezing.

- take lots of pics and make sure to post a report!

Back