Thread: Additional licenses/conditions for reloading?

Established Poster

Additional licenses/conditions for reloading?

I was just curious as to whether you need any special license/conditions on your license to home load. And if so, what courses and such you need to take to get said license/condition.

Cheers,

YT

Don't know about Eire, but in UK there's no licence needed, or conditions on FAC.....callie

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonT View Post
    I was just curious as to whether you need any special license/conditions on your license to home load. And if so, what courses and such you need to take to get said license/condition.

Cheers,

YT
    I suggest you increase the quantities of bullets held for each caliber you intend to reload, if you are like me you only have a small quantity to hold or buy on your FAC and when you are realoading you end up needing to hold a lot more.

Established Poster
    Thanks for the info. I had read somewhere that licenses are required for acquiring and storing explosives (including gun powder) - does this only apply to RFDs or people carrying large quantities of powder? Where exactly is this line drawn?

Thanks for the info. I had read somewhere that licenses are required for acquiring and storing explosives (including gun powder) - does this only apply to RFDs or people carrying large quantities of powder? Where exactly is this line drawn?
    If you shoot with Black Powder which is an explosive rather than a nitro propellant as in smokeless powders then you need an explosives licence to acquire and hold, you may also require an RCA document to transport it. There seems to be some confusuon over who requires these .

For a normal handloader for rifle shooting using smokeless powders you do not need any extra licences or certificates at the current time. No doubt if it causes us more hassle and more expense they powers that be will alter it in case we get to enjoy our passtime too much . Under the HSA rules there are limits on the amount or powder and primers that can be held and that includes the loaded ammunition in that total.

Oh yes your idea of a large quantity may not be the same as mine or the officials at the HSE.

Established Poster
    Good to know. So for all intents and purposes, your average-joe reloader doesn't require an explosives license.

The gray areas in the shooting sports never cease to amaze me.

Cheers,

YT

Yukon, as far as I am aware, home loading is prohibited in ROI. However, as with most inconvenient laws in the south, it seems to be universally ignored.

In NI, there are no special licenses required for reloading, however, you can only be in possession of loaded ammo which you have a rifle licensed for. You can load for a pal, if he is sitting there and takes possession of the ammo.

What is controlled in NI is the sale of powder and primers. The local cop shop will issue a ticket on request to an FAC holder to buy up to 1.5kg of powder and 3000 primers at any one time. This is free and usually done on the spot during office hours.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Yukon, as far as I am aware, home loading is prohibited in ROI. However, as with most inconvenient laws in the south, it seems to be universally ignored.
    Haha, nothing like the arbitrary imposition of poorly enforced, largelly panned laws. Fortunately, I will be moving to the greener (shooting) pastures of the UK in the next while.

So to acquire primers and powder you must have a cop shop sign off on it, but the bullets themselves are covered under the limits imposed on your FAC?

Maybe they'll create a new governing body to monitor the acquisition and possession of brass, haha.

Yukon, cartridge component controls in NI are almost the polar opposite to the UK. You can walk in off the street to any gunshop in NI and buy any expanding bullet you like. There is absolutely no controls on inert pieces of copper and lead. It is the powder and primers we need the ticket for.

In mainland UK, it is the opposite, no controls on powder and primers, but expanding bullets are controlled by whatever allocation you have on your FAC.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

So not that much greener after all!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!