Aldi digital callipers

TokaS

just to let anyone know....maybe a bag of daz but Aldi are doing digital callipers for about a tenner. Dont know if they are any good but just to let you all know...

atb

I think given you can get a decent set for £20-30 then it may work out as false economy especially thinking about what you might be using them for and which forum you have posted it in.

not something I would want to scrimp on.
get some non digital verniers if you want to save the pennies. they dont lie and have no batteries to die.

I know you have posted this trying to do guys on here a favour and save money but before joining the fire service I was a time served toolmaker. The guy training me was a guy called Alan Albrighton and he was a pretty switch on engineer. I recall him saying to me "if you want to work to the very best standards your going to need the very best tools", and that little saying has stuck with me. I can also remember quite clearly never using a vernier if you can get a micrometer to do the same job as the micrometer is a far more accurate and sensative piece of equipment.

With that in mind and the personal experience of variations caused by slightly different bullet seating depths I would be very careful using Aldi verniers for measuring anything to do with reloading.

Last edited:
I picked up a set of digital calibers off ebay for a tenner, and I can say that they are really bloody accurate and consistent! I keep double checking accuracy with known sized objects, and they never fail...

..just saying, don't discount them if the alternative is to have none;)

Aldi do sometimes throw up some good bargains....not sure if it is true today but my father used to always say that the germans like their stuff, and they are sticklers for quality, then it should be good enough for us...not sure if he was only talking about the food though.

Maybe once i get my .243 i will start to reload but till then...

atb

Just popped in for some sausages and noticed that Aldi have the digital callipers back in at £8.99. They also have ultra sonic cleaners at £19.99.

i saw the callipers the other day...going to get one tomorrow. are the ultra sonice cleaners back in now as well...if so i will get one too...

atb

I bought all the ultrasonic cleaners from the nearest Aldi last time as the blokes in the club had missed the stock of them in their own areas.
Great machines at a fraction of the price of the offerings from the reloading companies

I've had a pair of Aldi digital callipers for at least three years or more, apart from changing the batteries which nearly cost as much as the callipers, they have been without fault and compared against a standard have been consistently accurate, if the supply hasn't changed I can confidently recommend them.

DG

The cheap calipers are as good as the person using them. In competent hands they work fine & can last for years.
I'm still using my first cheap set that I bought over 10 years ago. If they work properly when new they should be fine with more than enough accuracy for reloading measurements.
Batteries will go flat in any caliper if you forget to switch it off. Battery prices vary wildly but if you buy on fleabay in bulk they cost pennies. I think the 100 I bought cost £6.50 and they are as good as the expensive ones.

Ian

I bought the calipers and the ultrasonic cleaner from ALDI when I was in Germany, and they are still working perfectly. Regardingb the batteries, ALDI and LIDL often have these in stock too (Sometimes a pack with four to six different types and four of each), and these are very cheap too. I think last time I bought 10 packs assorted for about 2.50 Euro a pack, and still have several packs (The batteries fit the calipers, watches, and mini torches etc).

just to let anyone know....maybe a bag of daz but Aldi are doing digital callipers for about a tenner. Dont know if they are any good but just to let you all know...

atb
got both calipers and ultrasonic cleaner and they are excellent.the first group with my 6.5x47 with oal measured using the calipers went sub.2inch.Richard.

Picked a couple of Calipers today thanks guys one for the loading bench they other to keep in the drill bits box as I was fed up of dill bits with illegible sizes and at that price they are a great bit of kit.

Noticed there were only 2 US cleaners left

I bought three sets of these the last time. Apart from the battery life being not as long as hoped they do EXACTLY what they say. Very pleased.

In fact they are as accurate as my Moore & Wright micrometer which I checked them against. They are excellent value for the home handloader.

Disappointed with the ultrasonic cleaner however! Would not recommend that as being "up to the task" of fired case cleaning.

Last edited:
I bought three sets of these the last time. Apart from the battery life being not as long as hoped they do EXACTLY what they say. Very pleased.

In fact they are as accurate as my Moore & Wright micrometer which I checked them against. They are excellent value for the home handloader.

Disappointed with the ultrasonic cleaner however! Would not recommend that as being "up to the task" of fired case cleaning.
take the battery out when not using it, mine have lasted 18months so far,.

Local Aldi have 11 sitting there...may go back tomorrow & check stock, as I bet the blokes at the pistol club will be asking me to fetch a few for them as they live in bigger towns & such one-offs seem to sell quicker there.

Back