Thread: Moderator questions

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Moderator questions

As an Aussie where in his state of Victoria mods are illegal I was wondering what velocity and with what bullet weight would you fella`s be wanting out of a 308 Win for instance to keep it hushed.

What other calibres do you blokes use with moderators?

The noise is the equiv to what loudness? Dont tell me decibels haha.

anything supersonic is still going to give you a "crack" moderator or not.
    The good CF mods remove a great deal of the "boom" ...the lower frequency noise.

the Rimfire ones are very effective on lower velocity rounds 1500-<3000fps and excellent on the subsonics obviously.

there are some good comparisons on Youtube for CF and RF rifles, one in particular where a guy has them on a variety of military calibres in semi auto and bolt action all filmed from the same position before and after.

Deer Dog Available
    So do I assume that all of these stalking rifles equipped with mods are used with super sonic bullets that are thus quietened somewhat or are they used with subsonic bullets.I have absolutely no idea although I had used a 22 rimfire equipped 40 years ago with what we called 'silencers' They were and maybe still are legal in South Australia.

Hi.
    I've had a pes mod fitted to my 243 win for more years than I care to think about, yes I think I would be right in quoting that everyone uses them with high velocity bullets on centre fire rifles, the benefits are that it reduces recoil hugely makes a 243 win like a 22lr, certainly takes the bark out of the report and seems to give no direction to where the shot came from, no hearing protection needed as it drop well below 140 decibels, yes makes rifle longer and heavier but you soon adapt to it, I shot a muntjac once right next to the farm house I have permission it was less than 30 metres away towards a high bank so was as safe as it gets and they never heard my shot so was suprised to say there was one less to cause damage in the garden, all and all I would not shoot without them.

Deer Dog Available
    Ah patjack that is what I was after,I am buggered as to why they are illegal in Aus though especially when your lot and NZ are free to use them. Thanks for your help.

Most people in the UK are using them with normal factory ammo or "full house" reloads. In part this is because a lot of subsonic loads would be illegal for one reason or another to shoot deer here in the UK and as this is a deer site I'd guess most people are shooting deer with their CF rifle. You need to meet minimum energy or velocity to be legal for deer everywhere in the UK.

I know you don't want to hear about decibels (excuse the pun) but it might help a little to give some indication of where the mod puts a CF rifle. The 308W produces about 165 - 170dB(C) from the perspective of the shooter. Most moderators claim a noise reduction of about 30 - 35dB so giving something around 130 - 140dB(C) for a moderated 308W. The EU limits exposure to impulse type noise (i.e. a rapid sound like a rifle shot) to 140dB(C) but that is not to say that such a level is "safe."

My personal opinion is that a very occasional moderated rifle shot is probably not going to do any serious long term harm to a middle aged adult but that under no circumstances should anyone expose themselves to such a shot if the option of additional hearing protection is available to them. So, I take the odd shot at deer without hearing protection but if I was to fire at a target to zero the rifle then I'd wear plugs and/or muffs and at the range I always wear both plugs and muffs as not all rifles there will be moderated.

It may be worth your while trying to sell the idea of allowing moderators to your local political representitive on the basis of health and safety as they have a significant and important contribution to make in protecting the hearing of those who shoot. To deny someone access to a safety device that has been shown to be effective is either due to ignorance or the desire of some people to make shooting "dangerous" in order to reinforce their agruments against it.

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    As an Aussie where in his state of Victoria mods are illegal I was wondering what velocity and with what bullet weight would you fella`s be wanting out of a 308 Win for instance to keep it hushed.

What other calibres do you blokes use with moderators?

The noise is the equiv to what loudness? Dont tell me decibels haha.
    i use a A-TEC-CMM4AL on my .25-06 and a A-TEC over the barrel on my .300 Win-Mag both Rifle's are used with home loaded 3000fps ammo as for loudness i would say (both rifles) they sound like a .22 rf WITHOUT a Moderator. People have been gobsmacked when i said i was useing the .300 to the point of takeing a Cartridge out to show them it WAS a .300

Some good points put forward for moderators, In the early days here in the uk some police forces were being funny about them so I have been told, luckily for me here in essex the force allowed them from the start and I had one in the very early days and never looked back, all in all I have found my FSEL dept to be fantastic over the years, so johngryphon keep at it and get them to see sense on the matter, atb.