Knives

£55 is not expensive for a knife :D

There is nothing wrong with folders so long as they are cleaned which is where the rub lies.

A couple of my CRKT M16's have seen the inside of the washing machine and they are fun to strip down and clean from time to time.

However, a fixed plade has no moving parts so..........

I use an EKA swingblade which is superb. It has a std blade but it also has an unzipper which opens up from under the dermis and cuts up under the fur not trhough it like gut hooks.

Easy to clean up and the grip is grippy even when it get "wet".

One knife, two functions and top kit.

I see what everyone says about £10 knives but if we all worked to that, we would not have such a huge diversity of product whatever elelment of the sport you consider...........

I personally, generally..................always buy the best I can afford not necessarily the most expensive. The most expensive isnt always the best.

But £60 EKA Swingbalde V's a £10 Mora..............not a question where my money goes

Just hope I dont loose the beggar now :doh:

I have boxes full of knives ,just brought a few moras one a legging version which dougster is making a sheaf for .i like the idea of the swing blade just don't like the shape of the blade seems very broad I like the slender mora knives .if you look on the mora web site they do literally dozens of different sorts .i am currently using a sandvik knife used for filleting superb knife .
​norma

I like a comfortable handle, I am trying not to have boxes of knives so am just passing on the Moras that never get used.

I like a convex edge and I like sharpening for some reason, every time we arrive at friends and family the kitchen knives seem to get put on the table.

Everyone is different, and I'm plaesed that some people like pretty and well made knives, just as I understand many want a £6 bit of metal with a plastic handle. I am glad there is room for us all.

I have a couple of hand made knives myself ,but i always have the fear of loosing them in the field,they were way too expensive for me to leave behind or the roof of the car so i bought some of the mora knives, i find them brilliant and if you do loose them it wont cost you a fortune to replace them.
With the mora you can sharpen away at them as well were the the hand made ones i have to be so careful and strop them.
The illuminus covers on the mora is handy for lamping ,when you put them down in long grass you can easily find them.

I agree on the gut hook / folding knife points . Gut hook gets in the way , folding knife is impractical and gets clogged up very quickly . Wot a pain to clean , never again !
moras cost about £15 , but trust me the steel is of excellent quality and very easy to re sharpen . Try to get one with a bright orange sheath because you can find it again when you put it down in the grass .
By all means spend as much as you like on an expensive field knife , but I bet I know which one you will actually use !!

For Roe and Muntjac I have the EKA filleting swing blade the smaller version of the original

It is perfect for these little deer, it keeps a brilliant edge and washable With this I carry the small outdoor edge Bone saw, its all is needed to do good field Gralloch

No weight, all washable. Perfic.

Victorinox hunter (folder)

I have used and carried many different knives in mountains, some with sheath weighing over 1000 grams. The V H weighs about 100 grams: all I need and use now.

Willie Gun

On the question of things lost, have had to drive 45 minutes back to the stalking ground more than once to pick up my sticks that I'd left leaning against the side of the car. :oops:

Although I lean my sticks against the car it's always the driver's door - problem solved. On the subject of knives I use a Fallkniven TK2 not cheap but a dream to use, I am always careful so I don't leave it behind.

Slightly off topic: what's the best way people have found for cleaning out the inside of leather knife sheaths, which tend to get gore and blood in them eventually, no matter how careful you are?

A medium sized opinel carbine, about £10 - perfect. I would like the same with an orange handle though. Any proper knife with a handle in the larder though.

Slightly off topic: what's the best way people have found for cleaning out the inside of leather knife sheaths, which tend to get gore and blood in them eventually, no matter how careful you are?

Really hot soapy water and a pipe cleaner if its really bad, let it air dry afterwards. I find this works fine.

Back